RQ Cults

Drycanthra

Mongoose
What has happened to all the Cults of Terror?
ive been playing RQ since the original edition back in the day and had great fun with it, but now Second Age seems to be missing all the really bad cults that i enjoyed.

Will they be coming out at some time in the near future or have i just missed them?.

Some of them can be found in Cults of Glorantha II as this describes Spirit Magic on which most of these cults now hang (Thed, Mallia, Bagog and Thanatar). This makes them more shamanist than divine.

As for the others (if you're thinking of the original nine in Cults of Terror) then Primal Chaos is there in the background providing the Chaos Feature spell to the usual suspects. Krasht I can't see and ditto Vivamort but there's acres of new material all the time - I think one anticipated campaign book is Castle of Lead in Dorastor which might cover these to some degree. Obviously there is no Crimson Bat cult in the 2nd age as the Red Goddess has yet to appear and do her thang.

That just leaves Nysalor. Given that in the 2nd age his overthrow by Arkat was only four centuries ago one might expect to find some of his adherents still kicking about.

Generally the treatment given is that Chaos as a whole is less prevalent in the 2nd age than in the 3rd age/1600s.

Mind you there's nothing to stop you writing them up and using them with your players. The Cults, Factions and Guilds book later this year might help with this (?)

Inspector Zero said:
I think one anticipated campaign book is Castle of Lead in Dorastor which might cover these to some degree.

I think the Castle of Lead is probably one of those made by Kyger Litor (hopefully the one in Dagori Inkarth) rather than the Tower of Lead in Dorastor.

Drycanthra said:
What has happened to all the Cults of Terror?
ive been playing RQ since the original edition back in the day and had great fun with it, but now Second Age seems to be missing all the really bad cults that i enjoyed.

Will they be coming out at some time in the near future or have i just missed them?.
There also should be a book of chaos someday (if Mongoose keeps to their promise).

Yes, its the Dagori Inkarth Castle of Lead, rather than Dorastor's.

I dare say Gloranthan chaos will see a treatment at some stage, but its not at the top of the list of priorities.

There is/was less chaos in the second age, for the most part, than in the third age. In some ways the third age is almost a post apocalyptic setting with chaos being the mutants.

Chaos in the third age comes from the Lunar Empire and the Crimson bat, from the misguided but desperate Pavic survivors who did anything to survive, from Delecti the Necromancer who created a zombie filled marsh to survive the Dragonkill, from desperate people driven to madness by the closing of the oceans and the ban in Fronela. In the spaces that Empires once filled with civilisation and people grew the horrors of chaos.

Keith

Inspector Zero wrote:
I think one anticipated campaign book is Castle of Lead in Dorastor which might cover these to some degree.

I think the Castle of Lead is probably one of those made by Kyger Litor (hopefully the one in Dagori Inkarth) rather than the Tower of Lead in Dorastor.

Don't I feel the twit? Back to Glorantha 101 for me. :oops:

Just read a bit from King of Sartar where it describes an EWF city with kjalki walking about in it. Ummm interesting.

Sinisalo said:
Just read a bit from King of Sartar where it describes an EWF city with kjalki walking about in it. Ummm interesting.

Remember, kjralki doesn't mean Chaos. It is the western word used to describe all nonhumans. An EWF city with kralki walking about in it probably refers to dragonewts and perhaps trolls, dwarfs or aldryami.

Jeff

richaje said:
Remember, kjralki doesn't mean Chaos. It is the western word used to describe all nonhumans. An EWF city with kralki walking about in it probably refers to dragonewts and perhaps trolls, dwarfs or aldryami.

Jeff

Death to all revisionist pig dogs!
;P

Right I'm going to have to go through it line by line but it's six hours before I have to get up. Will post a blow by blow answer tomorrow using my Draconic Falsehood Refutation 10 w 3.

KoS is still canon, though, surely. It's only been 20 (gulp) years since it was written.

Sinisalo said:
Right I'm going to have to go through it line by line but it's six hours before I have to get up. Will post a blow by blow answer tomorrow using my Draconic Falsehood Refutation 10 w 3.

KoS is still canon, though, surely. It's only been 20 (gulp) years since it was written.

I write a lot of background material with Greg, and for us KoS is most definitely canon. It is a Gloranthan text , which means it is also intentionally misleading or even deliberately wrong. But krjalki has always meant non-human. Just check out Cults of Terror (1st ed. 1981).

Jeff

It's Gloranthan etymology.

Krjalk is the lord of monsters, a chaos demon. When someone says, "krjalki" they are generally referring to the monster, not the chaos. Only in Dorastor does the term take on its full, more terrifying implications.

However, I was always under the impression that this was a distinctly western use of the word. I would have thought that most, if not all theists, would be well aware of the chaos connection, and so presumably the writer in KOS (I don't know who is writing the document) would understand what he was implying?

Modern historians would get a great deal of mileage out of primary source material using such a word, but more about the writer and the time they were living in rather than the time they were writing about.

Cleombrotus said:
It's Gloranthan etymology.

Krjalk is the lord of monsters, a chaos demon. When someone says, "krjalki" they are generally referring to the monster, not the chaos. Only in Dorastor does the term take on its full, more terrifying implications.

Actually Krjalk is probably a good example of the effects Western demonization. The Seshnegi wizards in Arkat's Crusade proclaimed that the Council armies they fought against (which included lots of aldryami) were Krjalk and that whatever god they were calling on (possibly some aldryami war god) was really Krjalk Lord of Monsters. Some of the Council forces embraced that identity and used those demonic powers against the Seshnegi.

Whether any of those people worshiped Krjalk before the Seshnegi wizards demonized the Council is questionable.

Jeff

Jeff

Back