RQ Companion: Am I missing something?

I may be a bit thick here and I'll be the first to admit I often miss the bl**dy obvious, but I can't seem to find a Sorceror character profession? Am I looking in the wrong place or don't they exist?

Another issue I have is that Wizards isn't an option for the Civilised background, which to be frank seems a bit daft. Is it an omission or is that correct?

Hehe aye, just checked and it appears you're correct, no character can start knowing any sorcery skills using the character generation as presented.

This also appears to be true of Divine Magic.

I checked if you could buy the skills using your free points but the book states that you can't buy runecasting skills with them, so by extension you probably can't use them for Sorcery or Divine magics either.

Looks like MRQ is even more magic lite than we though.

When is the Atlantean edition coming out? :twisted:

Vadrus

CharlieMonster said:
I may be a bit thick here and I'll be the first to admit I often miss the bl**dy obvious, but I can't seem to find a Sorceror character profession? Am I looking in the wrong place or don't they exist?
Apparently they don't
CharlieMonster said:
Another issue I have is that Wizards isn't an option for the Civilised background, which to be frank seems a bit daft. Is it an omission or is that correct?
It's "correct" in that it isn't listed - "Civilised" appears to represent a society that has progressed beyond magic and is now more reliant on early forms of technology such as steam power. The companion, like the rulebook, is written with generic worlds in mind. Of course, individual settings may differ from the generic listings, such as one where early technology and magic go hand-in-hand - so the GM can always rule that in their world spellcasters are a part of civilised society.

The way I'm reading it Divine Magic and Sorcery need to be learned in-game.

The thing to bear in mind here though is that the GM either needs a setting book (such as Glorantha), or needs to have designed their own setting - if they designed their own, they can state that Divine Magic or Sorcery is available to starting characters. Purchased settings which rely on magic would likewise have this in their character creation sections.

However it would probably have been better to have a couple of professions in there that the GM can opt not to have if they want to run a low-magic world, rather than the other way around.

It feels like a characters is going to need/collect a weighty amount of 'magic items' to be useful with Divine magic and still make rune magic usable, I suppose it makes characters go out a rob tombs etc.

Back