Rookiee player, a couple questions

Oh, another question I thought up:

Any tips for making "battle-damaged" bugs? I'm tempted to make either a bug that's been all shot to hell but still (barely) standing and all pissed off, or one that's pretty much dead on the ground with limbs blown off. Does anyone have pictures of models done up in a similar way?
I'm considering going at one with a pin vice to drill little different-sized holes in it for "bullet-holes", and otherwise carving out pieces of the miniature with an exacto knife to simulate damage and whatnot.

This doesn't really qualify (as I didn't sacrifice any models) but I was able to find a use for the left over Warrior Bug legs that come with the set. I used them as "garnish" for my Stalwart Bug Field Generators and as detail for some Bug Holes.

Scratch_Post_CU-1.jpg

MI_HELMETS3.jpg

MI_HELMETS.jpg

Haha, those are awesome. Any tips for how to "damaged" them, or the colors you used for the bug blood? Thanks in advance. :)

Marauder001.jpg

Heat up a pin with a candle fire and stab the model, try not to inhale too much (lol)... then paint on green blood.

Also I could look into sending you my spare jaws, I really don't need them anymore and I have like 20-30 top jaws left.

Xenomrph said:
Haha, those are awesome. Any tips for how to "damaged" them, or the colors you used for the bug blood? Thanks in advance. :)

I used a gas flamer and a piece of hot wire to do the holes into the armour plates.
Sometimes I used bigger tools for massive damage (hot knife does well).
Blood is GW Dark Angels Green (or the Vallejo Equivalent).

Well, I just went ahead and bought up another box of Arachnid Warriors off of eBay for $13 and free shipping. My plan is to finish off my current box of six and make them into "regular" Warriors just so I get a good feel for painting and assembling them, and then the second box will have the wacky "special" ones (2 with open mouths, 2 Tiger warriors that I'll prime with white spraypaint from the start, and 2 wounded/battle-damaged Warriors).

I'm looking at getting a box of Hoppers after that, I think, and then a Tanker, and then possibly a Blister/Blaster box.

Oh, also, I got the Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles DVD box set in the mail yesterday and started watching it (just finished off the Pluto campaign today). That Tanker bug sure looks different from the movie version. :?
Also, I've seen all kinds of Rippler Bugs, but do actual movie Hopper Bugs ever show up in the animated series?

Well, I got my second box of Warriors in the mail, although I'm still working on the first box. :p The final 4 in the first box are almost done being painted.

I also ordered up a CHAS unit off of eBay for about $15 shipped, because I just re-watched the CHAS episode of the CGI series and he was awesome.

Xenomrph said:
Well, I got my second box of Warriors in the mail, although I'm still working on the first box. :p The final 4 in the first box are almost done being painted.

I also ordered up a CHAS unit off of eBay for about $15 shipped, because I just re-watched the CHAS episode of the CGI series and he was awesome.

Roughnecks! Ho! :wink:

Well, my CHAS showed up in the mail, so now I'm planning out a diorama setup that'll have the CHAS firing all weapons on an onrushing horde of bugs, with explosions, bug bodyparts, and debris littering the scene. I'd like to do some "still frame" explosions like those in the Halo3 "Believe" diorama, but I'm not sure how I'll do it yet.

Back