Robert E. Howard Days?

I remember reading in an old post that there was going to be a REH Days celebration in Cross Plains Texas. I know it has probably come and gone already, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the event did actually happen? And when it was, so that I can plan to attend for next year. :)

You can get a lot of the info by going here; http://www.crossplains.com/index.htm
And following the various links. :)

A bunch of us oughta just plan it and all show up and talk Conan the whole time. I wonder why June and not January? Also, it says "each June" there's a REH rememberance "day". Pretty vague... :p

The weather isn't great in January , and June 10th was when he died .

Check out http://www.rehupa.com/news_2005.htm#05-04-2005 to give you an idea of what went on this year . It's reckoned that next year it will be over 3 days.

Terry

Exactly, the weather down there isn't the greatest in January. I will be in Dallas two weeks before for a family function. Too bad it wasn't the week of REH Days....

Whata ya mean the weather isn't great down here in January?? It's 86 degrees year round, except for a couple of weeks in February when it suddenly and inexplicably gets...what's the word?

Ah...yes...."cold"...

:p

Sutek said:
Whata ya mean the weather isn't great down here in January?? It's 86 degrees year round, except for a couple of weeks in February when it suddenly and inexplicably gets...what's the word?

Ah...yes...."cold"...

I think you must live in a strange alternate reality of Texas, my friend. :)

The word "great" is relative to the location - I'm sure it is great in Texas compared to winter in Detroit!

But, all of you guys will experience that when you come to the Super Bowl in Detroit next February, right? 8) :)

I'm planning to be at the Howard Days in June next year, gonna be sweet!

GregLynch said:
Sutek said:

Ah...yes...."cold"...

Well, it probably should have been 96 degrees instead of 86...you're right there. With the humidityu though....110 easy (lol).

And our cold is like...oh...38. (hehe) I can still generally wear short sleeves most of the "winter".

:lol:

Count me in as well. I should be able to be there in June.
Maybe any of us who show up could get together and run a Conan game.
I'll even GM. How about it? Any takers? 8)

GregLynch said:
Sutek said:

Ah...yes...."cold"...

I agree, when is it a steady 86 degrees in January? I thought it was maybe 50 degrees?????

Bjorn the Barbarian said:
Count me in as well. I should be able to be there in June.
Maybe any of us who show up could get together and run a Conan game.
I'll even GM. How about it? Any takers? 8)
Well if my wife's job situation does not improve in the next 2-3 months chances are we might be moving to the Dallas area then next spring which is fine by me. So if that is the case I know where I will be a certain week in June! I am on a waitlist for the RE Howard upa and I would love to meet up with the people from that as well....

[/quote]
I agree, when is it a steady 86 degrees in January? I thought it was maybe 50 degrees?????[/quote]

Actually, it's a crap shoot. Any given day could be 15 degrees (seen it as low as -5 or -10) or 80 degrees (seen it as high as 90+). And on a really fun day, it changes its mind in the middle and switches from one end to the other. I can't speak for Houston, but that's how it is in north Texas.

Well, I should clarify that it doesn't often get much below 15 or 20 (though it's a very wet and windy 15 or 20). Nothing like what goes on in the upper Midwest in winter, I'm sure - but hardly balmy.

We rarely get real snow (I mean the fluffy flaky kind), but we do get 2 or 3 good ice storms a year on average. The good part of those is that it more or less shuts the city down for a day or two. Once you've seen a good ol' boy in his pickup coming down the road at you at 70 mph, spinning on the ice like an Olympic skater, you'll understand why. :)

Its said that there is fine line between madness and genious and thats true when talking about this author who hated civilization and was sovinist. He might had unique personality but he is truly remembered from his novels and short stories.

I'm gonna be there. Can't wait. Get to walk in the great man's steps. I plan on shadow-boxing down main street first thing. Haw haw!

Back