Reviews of new Traveller?

nats

Banded Mongoose
Are there any reviews to date of the new Traveller I can look at? I have been away from traveller for quite a while and am coming back and am interested in the new version. But I would like to know more about it.

Edit: Well Ive found this one is all, very positive though: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16668.phtml

Reviews may take a little longer, as the printed copy is not yet on general release (just a couple of weeks though!).

However, this new edition is a good 'un!

msprange said:
Reviews may take a little longer, as the printed copy is not yet on general release (just a couple of weeks though!).

However, this new edition is a good 'un!

Gotta love a completely unbiased review lol!

Yeah does sound like the new book has a few typos and errors in it. Got fed up with those in the last edition. Stopped buying them and sold everything but four books. So yeah not sure really whether I will buy the new version or not atm. I could see the point in redoing all the old Mongoose books if they were 99.9% perfect this time around but if they are not then they are just going over the same ground all over again and not learning from previous mistakes.

And where is the setting info? For me the only books that I want to see are: Core Rulebook, Starships, Setting Info, Adventures, Equipment, Tokens/Maps - in that order. I don't need to see anything else - vcertainly the vehicle book is not essential at all for me. So the equivalent of the Spinward Marches book is needed for this new version in my opinion - is it coming?

Because this version isnt compatible with the other version 1 is it?

nats said:
And where is the setting info? For me the only books that I want to see are: Core Rulebook, Starships, Setting Info, Adventures, Equipment, Tokens/Maps - in that order. I don't need to see anything else - vcertainly the vehicle book is not essential at all for me. So the equivalent of the Spinward Marches book is needed for this new version in my opinion - is it coming?

Because this version isnt compatible with the other version 1 is it?

Setting really doesn't change so the current Spinward Marches book shouldn't need updating to match the new edition.

The old Spinward Marches was largely system free information. I think there was some talk of doing a new kickstarter book for the Imperium as a whole, although I'm hazy on what was actually said about that.

Ah right. Is that not going to be a little bit confusing mixing two different versions ? How do we know which books from version 1 are still relevant with the new version. Maybe for clarity it might be worth Mongoose publishing a list of previous books compatible with the new version in all of their new books, or its going to be a mighty mess of a system.

nats said:
Maybe for clarity it might be worth Mongoose publishing a list of previous books compatible with the new version in all of their new books, or its going to be a mighty mess of a system.
Referees will be able to figure it out for their games.

ShawnDriscoll said:
nats said:
Maybe for clarity it might be worth Mongoose publishing a list of previous books compatible with the new version in all of their new books, or its going to be a mighty mess of a system.
Referees will be able to figure it out for their games.

Not if they havent already bought the book in question. For example is 2nd Ed of 760 Patrons full compatible or not? I presume so but I dont know because I havent got the book. Is the 2nd Ed of Mercenary compatible or not? I presume not fully but I dont know because I havent got the book.

There needs to be something that tells me if I buy a certain old book whether it will be fully, partially or not at all compatible with the new rules. Otherwise I just wont buy anything old and that would not be good for their sales.

Its just business sense to inform people on the compatibility of older products if they intend to keep selling them. A list of old products and compatibility would not take long to prepare and would ensure sales of old books remain healthy. And putting statement like 'Last chance to Buy Traveller' on their site for their older products doesnt help reassure me to buy anything further either because it makes it sound like they have plans to completely drop the old line. That isnt very sensible unless you are sure you have sold everything you are likely to. And I am sure there are a hell of a lot of people like me who wouldnt mind buying Patrons and Spinward Marches and the like if they are going to continue to be useful with the new system especially if they are going to be discounted!

My understanding of this is that Mongoose will be pulling all of the 1e books from the market. That should alleviate any confusion.

I do know that all third party 1e books must be made to be OGL or be pulled from the market. We are already doing that as are some of the other third party publishers.

Yeah I actually read the statement from Matthew about Traveller 1 after posting that. So I guess the T1 books have stopped being published, and I see they are starting to be sold cheaply on Ebay by Matthew as well. Strange not continuing to produce books like Spinward Marches and 760 Patrons, but I guess they will be updating these as well at some point possibly. Some of the Ebay prices are very tempting it has to be said - but I will have to restrain myself to just the books I know I will use with the new version. Either way I think I will be ordering the new version this weekend.

Back