Retrotech and Ship's Computers

ProfGrizzlyJon

Cosmic Mongoose
Has anyone else played with the idea of using Retrotech for Ship's Computers?
I was looking at the "supercomputer cluster" rule in CSC Update 2023 (page 67), and developed a TL-13 "portable supercomputer" capable of Computer/15 for Cr256,000. That gave me a device that players could use to "reboot" a starship during salvage, and bring it home.
Personal ComputerTLInitial CostInitial WeightInitial BandwidthAdditional Bandwidth#Additional ComputersFinal CostFinal Bandwidth
Superior Retrotech (+5)13Cr15.625Microscopic114
Cr256,00015
Superior Retrotech (+7)15Cr3.9Microscopic11416384Cr64,00015

Then, I started thinking about Ship's Computers and Cores.
Computer CoreTLInitial CostBandwidth
Computer Core10Mcr6050
Superior Core Retrotech (+1)11MCr3050
Superior Core Retrotech (+2)12MCr1550
Superior Core Retrotech (+3)13MCr7.550
Superior Core Retrotech (+4)14MCr3.7550
Superior Core Retrotech (+5)15MCr1.87550

Has anyone thought about this?

Two comments:
First, perhaps in in hindsight I should have limited retrotech to 3 or 4 levels. Or not, I could argue both sides... especially when you bring in comparable robot brains.
Second, ship computers are not explicitly covered by retrotech. Core, especially, is like the nervous system of the ship, not just a brain, not just a CPU but also communications, panels, and interfaces, so at the very least, you should consider the Ship's Brains rules from the Robot Handbook (p.102) - and if those rules are in conflict, then that's on me, since I did both the CSC update and the Robots book.

I an honored by your response- I did not expect the author to respond. Yes, Ship's computers are not explicitly called out. The greatest limiting factor for retrotech ship's computers is the restriction that you can only have one in operation at any given time. I run a lot of scientific games, and only Core's have the processing power to run the software required (Some of the software is 30+ BW). They are just ridiculously expensive.
Using the Robot Handbook, it is possible to create a fairly significant option using the Ship's Brains and Vehicle Brains rules. I had not considered "removing" the ship's brain interface functions from a regular ship's computer; that just does not seem cost effective. For replacing virtual crew members, Ship's Brains are much more efficient (even if you have to place multiples on the ship- similar to Rio's virtual crewmembers on la Sirenna)

Funny you mention robot brains- I started replacing "Computer Weaves" and "Intelligent Weapon" with Hunter/Killer microbots with zero-slot options. Nothing quite like having combat armor that recognizes a threat, and then acts accordingly

Granted, I have an evil purpose, because I also aggressively address the hacking of these types of systems (Thank you Blake's 7, I, Robot, Battlestar Galactica, Andromeda, ST:picard, etc) for highlighting the dangers of over-automation, computer networking and AI in general.
As it sits, I have a neat adversary whose clothing has microbots with a habit of accessing intelligent weapons (and computer weaves and neural implants), and then forcing them to crash (or misidentify IFF tags or transport you to a hellish VR nightmare). Onboard his ship, the Ship's Brain has an even greater capability (since every square mm of the vessel is under constant datalink).
Low-tech guys with dumb revolvers, swords and good-old fashioned armor can waltz right through. Corrupted Battledress has a habit of replacing the inside atmosphere with carbon monoxide...

I should also mention:
In a previous edition of Traveller (LBB), I had a group of players who decided to turn the "dead time" during jump into a money-making opportunity. They arranged extremely discounted travel passes, in addition to their standard fares, for Experts (Skill 4+) who would be asked to spend their time with a team of programmers (and release the rights to their expertise).

Two comments:
First, perhaps in in hindsight I should have limited retrotech to 3 or 4 levels. Or not, I could argue both sides... especially when you bring in comparable robot brains.
Second, ship computers are not explicitly covered by retrotech. Core, especially, is like the nervous system of the ship, not just a brain, not just a CPU but also communications, panels, and interfaces, so at the very least, you should consider the Ship's Brains rules from the Robot Handbook (p.102) - and if those rules are in conflict, then that's on me, since I did both the CSC update and the Robots book.
Can you discuss the neural link, neural bridge and neural jack as it relates to Ship's Brain interface? Sometimes, I don't quite understand the linkages.

Two comments:
I an honored by your response- I did not expect the author to respond.
Yes, Ship's computers are not explicitly called out. The greatest limiting factor for retrotech ship's computers is the restriction that you can only have one in operation at any given time. I run a lot of scientific games, and only Core's have the processing power to run the software required (Some of the software is 30+ BW). They are just ridiculously expensive.
Using the Robot Handbook, it is possible to create a fairly significant option using the Ship's Brains and Vehicle Brains rules. I had not considered "removing" the ship's brain interface functions from a regular ship's computer; that just does not seem cost effective. For replacing virtual crew members, Ship's Brains are much more efficient (even if you have to place multiples on the ship- similar to Rio's virtual crewmembers on la Sirenna)

Funny you mention robot brains- I started replacing "Computer Weaves" and "Intelligent Weapon" with Hunter/Killer microbots with zero-slot options. Nothing quite like having combat armor that recognizes a threat, and then acts accordingly

Granted, I have an evil purpose, because I also aggressively address the hacking of these types of systems (Thank you Blake's 7, I, Robot, Battlestar Galactica, Andromeda, ST: Picard, etc) for highlighting the dangers of over-automation, computer networking and AI in general.
As it sits, I have a neat adversary whose clothing has microbots with a habit of accessing intelligent weapons (and computer weaves and neural implants), and then forcing them to crash (or misidentify IFF tags or transport you to a hellish VR nightmare). Onboard his ship, the Ship's Brain has an even greater capability (since every square mm of the vessel is under constant datalink).
Low-tech guys with dumb revolvers, swords and good-old fashioned armor can waltz right through. Corrupted Battledress has a habit of replacing the inside atmosphere with carbon monoxide...

Can you discuss the neural link, neural bridge and neural jack as it relates to Ship's Brain interface? Sometimes, I don't quite understand the linkages.
A ship's brain interfaces ties the robotic brain to the ship's systems - no biologicals involved. The neurals are for biologicals: A neural comm is an imbedded communicator with some computer-like functions at higher tech levels, the neural link adds connections to allow for physical skills from a wafer jack, and the neural jack is a combo of link and jack. Not sure what a neural bridge is.

There is a Robotics Control Chart on page 124 of the Robot Handbook that tries to visually tie most of it together, but it doesn't deal with vehicle or ship brains.

A ship's brain interfaces ties the robotic brain to the ship's systems - no biologicals involved. The neurals are for biologicals: A neural comm is an imbedded communicator with some computer-like functions at higher tech levels, the neural link adds connections to allow for physical skills from a wafer jack, and the neural jack is a combo of link and jack. Not sure what a neural bridge is.

There is a Robotics Control Chart on page 124 of the Robot Handbook that tries to visually tie most of it together, but it doesn't deal with vehicle or ship brains.
Thanks- I am trying to hook a biological into a Ship and/or Vehicle (Inspired by Walter John William's Hardwired). I guess I could accomplish the same thing with a BIACS (on page 96), but it doesn't explicitly say it can connect to a ship or vehicle.

Sorry- neural bridge is from 2300AD. I meant to say Nerve-Plug Response Rig.

Last edited:
I'd make a specialized BIACS that can be used to control vehicles and spacecraft TL 14 or 15, and maybe 150,000 Cr. While the easiest way to work rules for it is to simply provide a boon to all rolls to operate vehicles or spacecraft, I'd go a bit differently. If you use this system, then any vehicle or spacecraft you control via it doesn't use a vehicle or spacecraft skill. Instead, all rolls to maneuver any vehicle or spacecraft via this device uses Athletics (Dex), while Athletics (STR) is for actions like trying to eek out a bit of extra speed or similar tasks. Similarly, I'd say instead of gunner skill, use gun combat, since you treat the ship as your body.

I'd make a specialized BIACS that can be used to control vehicles and spacecraft TL 14 or 15, and maybe 150,000 Cr. While the easiest way to work rules for it is to simply provide a boon to all rolls to operate vehicles or spacecraft, I'd go a bit differently. If you use this system, then any vehicle or spacecraft you control via it doesn't use a vehicle or spacecraft skill. Instead, all rolls to maneuver any vehicle or spacecraft via this device uses Athletics (Dex), while Athletics (STR) is for actions like trying to eek out a bit of extra speed or similar tasks. Similarly, I'd say instead of gunner skill, use gun combat, since you treat the ship as your body.
Compare the Nerve-Plug Response Rig:
Similar to the connection used in a neural link, this cybernetic suite consists of six ports implanted along the spine. These ports attach to specially-designed slave-pins added to any suit of powered armour or battle dress. Adding the slave-pin rigs to the suit adds +50% to the cost of the suit. When plugged into the Traveller’s ports (when they don the armour), it becomes attuned to their natural nervous reactions and movements.
Essentially, the Traveller becomes their armour. This grants DM+2 to all DEX-based checks in addition to any DEX increases provided by the powered armour.

with
Ship’s Brain Interface
For direct control of a ship’s systems, the ship’s brain requires interfaces with the entire ship....
For an additional Cr2000 per ton the interface can include full haptics, allowing the robot brain to ‘feel’ the operation of the ship, providing an effective DEX equal to the brain’s TL for any Pilot checks or operation of any manipulator-like ship’s systems such as grappling arms or cargo cranes.

and you get this:
Neural-Plug Response Rig (Starships) (TL-13)

The Neural-Plug Response Rig (Starships) is an advanced cybernetic interface system designed to enhance a Traveller's control over a ship's systems. Drawing inspiration from both the Nerve-Plug Response Rig (TL-13) and the Ship's Brain Interface (TL-10), this cutting-edge technology combines the benefits of both systems, allowing the Traveller to effectively become one with the starship.

Description: This cybernetic suite consists of six ports implanted along the spine, similar to the connection used in a neural link. The ports attach to specially-designed interface points installed throughout the ship's systems. Installing the interface points cost the same as a full-haptic ship interface (Cr7000/ton of hull or cr10,000/ton of hull for retrofit).

When a Traveller with the Neural-Plug Response Rig (Starships) connects to the ship, the interface allows them to experience full haptic feedback, granting them a heightened sense of control over the vessel's operations. The Traveller effectively "feels" the ship, enabling them to pilot and operate ship-based systems, such as grappling arms or cargo cranes, with remarkable precision and dexterity.

Game Mechanics: Upon connecting to the ship's systems, the Traveller receives a DM+2 to all DEX-based checks related to piloting, navigation, and the operation of ship-based systems. This bonus is in addition to any DEX increases provided by other cybernetic enhancements or ship modifications.

Additionally, the Traveller gains an effective DEX equal to the ship's TL for any Pilot checks or the operation of any manipulator-like ship's systems, such as grappling arms or cargo cranes.

The Neural-Plug Response Rig (Starships) represents a significant advancement in cybernetic technology, offering Travellers unparalleled control and precision in the operation of their starships.

Last edited:
Iffy.

I had a go once in creating an algorithm that based bandwidth on cost and technological level.

Despite my running gag that an iPhone could run a starship, current design mechanics make it difficult to reconcile to real life.

On the other hand, retrotech computers are likely more Cylon proof.

Iffy.

I had a go once in creating an algorithm that based bandwidth on cost and technological level.

Despite my running gag that an iPhone could run a starship, current design mechanics make it difficult to reconcile to real life.

On the other hand, retrotech computers are likely more Cylon proof.
Sorry, Monday mornings sans coffee.
I am not following- what is the subject of your "iffy" comment? The original post about retrotech Ship's Computers, or the more recent Neural-Plug Response Rig?
Obviously, there is a lot more required to operate as a ship's computer than would be carried in a handheld. However, if the "normal" wiring and interfaces are already installed, it does not require more suspension of disbelief to allow the hightech mobile device to "dock" with the ship.
I believe there is a TL-8 Interface Box in the Field Catalogue that does something similar.

Back