Resilience Skill?

Enpeze said:
Can anybody with the rulebook be so nice to explain the resilience skill to us? thanks.

First, it is a basic skill (which means everyone starts with it). Second, it is used to determine whether a character can endure adverse physical conditions, like overcoming disease or poison. It is kind of like the Fortitude save from D20.

Hope that helps.

Claymore Driftwood Pub said:
Enpeze said:
Can anybody with the rulebook be so nice to explain the resilience skill to us? thanks.

First, it is a basic skill (which means everyone starts with it). Second, it is used to determine whether a character can endure adverse physical conditions, like overcoming disease or poison. It is kind of like the Fortitude save from D20.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your info. Regrettably I dont know the details of d20 (I am an old RQ brat :)) so can you explain what adverse physical conditions these are?
I am especially interested in the technical detail. This means when do you roll, are there modifiers due to hitlocations etc.

Enpeze said:
Enpeze said:

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your info. Regrettably I dont know the details of d20 (I am an old RQ brat :)) so can you explain what adverse physical conditions these are?
I am especially interested in the technical detail. This means when do you roll, are there modifiers due to hitlocations etc.

Rather than your ability to resisit poison being based on how healty you are it's based on someone teaching you to resist it (being cold or being stung by a jellyfish) and how many times you have resisted poison before. :roll: :p :roll:

Look! I have had influenza twenty times and someone trained me for a week, this means I will never have it again!

I'm sorry I don't know the details, wait a minute, no I'm not.

What a load of wank.

If they are going to have something like this it should be some mystical esoteric secret, not a basic skill.

I kinda like the idea. It's like building up your level of resistance. I'd view it as "specialized CON training", which seems to make it more acceptable to my mind.

homerjsinnott said:
Rather than your ability to resisit poison being based on how healty you are it's based on someone teaching you to resist it (being cold or being stung by a jellyfish) and how many times you have resisted poison before. :roll: :p :roll:

Look! I have had influenza twenty times and someone trained me for a week, this means I will never have it again!

I'm sorry I don't know the details, wait a minute, no I'm not.

What a load of wank.

That's pretty much how it works in real life, except, (as with every roleplaying skill,) it would be more realistic if it was split down into a 1000 sub-skills.

jadrax said:
That's pretty much how it works in real life, except, (as with every roleplaying skill,) it would be more realistic if it was split down into a 1000 sub-skills.

Bull.If that were ture than the elderly would have the best ressitance to illness and toxins as they would have built up the highest skill scores.

"The Black Death! Ha! That might have scared me bvack when I was 25, but now that in 78, I've got a 256% resistience!" :roll:

atgxtg said:
jadrax said:

Bull.If that were ture than the elderly would have the best ressitance to illness and toxins as they would have built up the highest skill scores.

"The Black Death! Ha! That might have scared me bvack when I was 25, but now that in 78, I've got a 256% resistience!" :roll:

Ah, but the Black Death has a Potency of 100, and there's no way Gramps has a Resilience of 256%. ;)

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
atgxtg said:
jadrax said:

Ah, but the Black Death has a Potency of 100, and there's no way Gramps has a Resilience of 256%. ;)

Hyrum.

Does this mean that eating mercury and lead builds up your resistance to them? Cool!

I've also had thousands of asthma attacks, I must be totally immune now.

[Throws ventolin out of the window.]

homerjsinnott said:
Does this mean that eating mercury and lead builds up your resistance to them? Cool!

I've also had thousands of asthma attacks, I must be totally immune now.

[Throws ventolin out of the window.]

THe old adage about that which does not destroy us making us stronger holds true for MRQ.

In the real word is just batters down your defenses and makes you more vulnerable to something else that will finish the job.

HyrumOWC said:
[

Hyrum.

Why no way? Can't Resislience be raised by allocation experience checks? It's not like resisence goes down with age. So the people with the highest reisience will be the aged.

Toss in the "skill halving rule" and be glad you don't sell life insurance in a MRQ world.

atgxtg said:
HyrumOWC said:
[

Hyrum.

Why no way? Can't Resislience be raised by allocation experience checks? It's not like resisence goes down with age. So the people with the highest reisience will be the aged.

Toss in the "skill halving rule" and be glad you don't sell life insurance in a MRQ world.

You just defeated your own argument. Old people get better and better at resilience, and then one day BOOM! - it is halved, they get sick and die. :twisted:

Rurik said:
You just defeated your own argument. Old people get better and better at resilience, and then one day BOOM! - it is halved, they get sick and die. :twisted:

I guess the "halving" rule does cut people's lifespan in half. :cry:

One way or another.

atgxtg said:
Rurik said:

I guess the "halving" rule does cut people's lifespan in half. :cry:

One way or another.

Of the issues real and bogus that have been raised about MRQ this is the only one that really bothers me. CON x 5 : easy, cheap and fast. Doesn't get better over time? Nonsense - attribtutes can and should be trained up, through both training and experience. Wanna win an armwrestle? - heave stones lad!

Every instance of this, from resilience to athletics tests is going straight into the incinerator - I don't give a damn what gets stickied! :D

I think that the Resisted skills work fine, although if you aren't a fan of them, it is quite simple just to do a Con X whatever roll.

I think you choose now which type of save you use for a certain situation.

Another question: Is resilience used for combat? I mean there are no general HP anymore. In RQ3 "general HP" have been a regulator, so you died after 3 standard hits or so. It seems to me that having no general HPs mean that you can take much more normal damage to your body. Is this true?

Can't remember off the top of my head (at work at the mo - shhh!), but I think so, yes. Imagine taking 2 points of damage to each location. Not enough to worry you in MRQ, but in ORQ (Old RuneQuest), 7 locations, 14 points of damage, enough to kill most people.

Can someone with access to the rules confirm/deny this?

Thank you! :D

sexy_davey said:
Can't remember off the top of my head (at work at the mo - shhh!), but I think so, yes. Imagine taking 2 points of damage to each location. Not enough to worry you in MRQ, but in ORQ (Old RuneQuest), 7 locations, 14 points of damage, enough to kill most people.

Can someone with access to the rules confirm/deny this?

Thank you! :D

Yes, that's correct. Until you get to 0HP on a location, there is no effect, so it could theorectically mean that you could take 3-4 HP per location before you need to worry (if the hits spread out evenly over locations!)

We discovered that Giant Beetles took ages to kill off, as they have 6 legs = more locations to be hit, and they don't really mind losing a few legs. I suppose that you could use Precise Shot to attack certain areas, but that affects your chance to hit quite a lot (-40%?).

Also, the cumulative minuses from wearing armour - do these seem a bit excessive? Anyone wearing a decent set of armour is going to be at -20% or more to weapons skills, which for a starting character is quite a lot to lose. Given that armour isn't bypassed on criticals either, could this draw combats out quite a bit?

Mark

Back