repro of rare Conan map available...

ahk

Mongoose
Hi,

I have one of the few (apparently) surviving maps by the defunct Starmont House, 1977, entitled "The Hyborian World of Conan", along with the accompanying " A Gazeteer of The Hyborian World of Conan" both of which were by Lee N. Falconeer (pseudonym).

I have gone to great expense and spent a lot of time having the map scanned, and have a professionally printed full size copy. I am also thinking of copying the gazeteer. I would like to make this copy of the map available to Conan fans. Due to the high cost involved I cannot provide this item for what posters sell for in a store....as I hope people will understand. My original map is framed and is a beautiful part of my Conan collection. I think the reproduction to be just as beautiful.

Please let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested in this item. I do have pictures.

Thanks,
Aron Kerner

ahk said:
Hi,

I have one of the few (apparently) surviving maps by the defunct Starmont House, 1977, entitled "The Hyborian World of Conan", along with the accompanying " A Gazeteer of The Hyborian World of Conan" both of which were by Lee N. Falconeer (pseudonym).

I have gone to great expense and spent a lot of time having the map scanned, and have a professionally printed full size copy. I am also thinking of copying the gazeteer. I would like to make this copy of the map available to Conan fans. Due to the high cost involved I cannot provide this item for what posters sell for in a store....as I hope people will understand. My original map is framed and is a beautiful part of my Conan collection. I think the reproduction to be just as beautiful.

Please let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested in this item. I do have pictures.

Thanks,
Aron Kerner
I heard of this book in Gurps Conan (I think) where the critics is rather good.

ahk said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Aron Kerner

Aron,
It does not matter if the company is defunct. Someone, somewhere owns the copyrights. Have you contacted the owners and obtained written permission to sale their map?

If you do not have written permission from the copyright owners you will be opening yourself up to a whole mess of legal trouble.

Yes, that is correct....the copyright was an issue for quite some time, as I could not find the owner. It has been taken care of now though.

Thanks

Excellent! I was hoping you would say that. I just didn't want to see you mobbed by rampaging lawyers.

So what's this map look like? Can you post a link to the photos or would you rather email them?

Anonymous said:
Excellent! I was hoping you would say that. I just didn't want to see you mobbed by rampaging lawyers.

So what's this map look like? Can you post a link to the photos or would you rather email them?

Damn! I hate when I forget to log in...

Yes , if you have a link I'm sure members of my group would be interested.

Terry

Join The Robert E Howard Comics Group
Check out : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane OUT NOW !

The map is truly excellent with the arms of all the kingdom of the continent and a small map of the Thurian continent (age of Kull).

I will try today or tomorrow to see if I can post the pictures to a webpage. I'm just new to doing it, so it might take me a while to figure it out.

Thanks,
Aron

I've got one of these extremely rare maps that I acquired back around 1981. I feel its the best such map of the Hyborean/Conan setting ever done (not to mention the Kull inset map). It's done in an old "here be monsters" style of cartography and is extremely accurate insofar as I've been able to tell over the years.

The scale is in keeping with "historical" fact and Howard's descriptions as are the locations etc. Offhand I'd say the only thing not really accurate are the Banner/Flags depicted around the edge of the Map itself, these being more along the lines of "artistic license" than actual Howard etc fact.

All in all, its a beautiful map. I've got mine laminated, mounted and framed and wouldn't dream of parting with it. I'm glad to hear someone else besides me has a copy of it; I've thought for years that it was gone forever because every time I've ever mentioned it or shown it to someone they've been totally amazed and had never heard of it.

By all means let folks see a picture of it if possible; it's a great piece of Conan/Howard history and is a great game aid as well. 8)

I'm glad to hear of your map...by the sound of it yours might be in even better shape than mine, having been laminated. Mine is in excellent condition having been professionally mounted and framed for years, but there are still minor imperfections.

I only know by heresay of two other maps, and have tried to contact their owners out of curiosity, but with no luck. I have been in touch with Robert Weinberg, a respected author in his own right, and somewhat of an REH expert. He used to own a bookstore years ago, and personally knew the owners of Starmont House, the folks who printed this map. He says he sold hundreds himself......but as of late cannot even find his own copy. He wanted to donate one to the REH museum in Texas.

I have no real idea what the market value is on one of these original maps....rarity does not always make for a high dollar value....lol. Still, I love my map and would not part with it. I just recently had the good fortune to run into the GAZETEER that was available as an adjunct to the map in very good condition. The only other one I've seen recently for sale had an asking price of $100.

I am going to try to post the pictures to a webpage, but must ask everyone to be patient because I have never done this before. So unless someone wants to do it for me.....lol. Meanwhile I m trying to gauge the interest so that printing on a small scale might bring the price down to around $50.....though that is not an exact figure. I certainly won't make anything on it, but it is such a cool map and I don't mind sharing.

I'll let you know as soon as the pictures are posted.

Aron

OK everyone.....I got the pictures online at the following URLs

https://home.comcast.net/~aronhk_md/DSC00159.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~aronhk_md/DSC00160.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~aronhk_md/DSC00161.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~aronhk_md/DSC00162.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~aronhk_md/DSC00163.JPG

By the way, I got the dimensions wrong for those of you that have asked....it is actually 36 x 24. Sorry for the mistake.

For those interested, this is how this will probably work.....

1) While I am waiting to find out from the printer (next week) the minimum order size I will collect a list of people interested in the map at what will probably be $50 per copy (not including shipping...keep in mind I am not a business and I don't have poster tubes hanging out in my closet). I am not making money on this.......printing is expensive. The first one printed actually cost $220. Its just one of my obsessions. I'm sorry that I can't price it at $9.99 like the posters at everyone's favorite mall store, but I can't afford to order 50,000 like those companies do. Besides, can you imagine the look on my wife's face when the truck pulled up to my house with 50,000 posters???

2) When I have enough people interested to meet the minimum order I will ask them to pay. I expect approximately two weeks between payment receipt and shipping to allow the printers enough time to correct a mistake or two (I just spent two months correcting proofs of the digital scan of this thing because a flatbed scanner this size is hard to find and the Library of Congress wouldn't loan me theirs).

3) The final part has to do with the book which was available separately from the map back in 1977, and which will be available separately in this case as well. To be honest, I have been so busy getting through school and doing the map, I have not even figured out how I am going to make the 120+ page "A Gazeteer of The Hyborian World of Conan' available to those interested. If you want one there may be a bit of a wait, and I am thinking to have it scanned and just put it on disc in Adobe Acrobat or similar format. This will probably run those interested another $10 or so, and I would put availability of this item at around Xmas time.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to try to answer them.

Thanks,
Aron

:shock:
Pretty bad-aztec!
What would be the price per copy (w/o shipping) for a run of 50, 100, 500? I'd like to join in, but I would only be able to if enough others were able to do so, to keep the run price down to a low amount.

I'd be EXTREMELY interested in one of the Gazeteers. It would be sweet indeed to have a copy of that beauty. Put me down for one so long as the cost isn't too high I think I can sneak this past the wife... :)

Umm, that last was me, forgot to log in..:oops:
I'd be EXTREMELY interested in one of the Gazeteers. It would be sweet indeed to have a copy of that beauty. Put me down for one so long as the cost isn't too high I think I can sneak this past the wife...

As mentioned in my most recent post I am trying to bring the price down to around $50 by using a regular printing method. Nothing is certain until next week when the printers get back to me. The price on the Gazeteer is less certain as of this time. If you want to be added to the list for either the Map, Gazeteer, or both please email me your name and phone number and what you want.

aronhk_md@comcast.net

Thanks for the info. I'll post the details to my comics group .

Terry

Join The Robert E Howard Comics Group
Check out : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane OUT NOW !

Does the widow of the owner of Starmont know about this? Are you reporting your illicit illegal earnings to the IRS?

Back