Regular MI as Proxy Roughnecks?

Would you object if your opponent wanted to use regular MI models to represent the Roughnecks squad?

• Yes, I would object. If he wants to use the Roughnecks, he should buy the figures.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I wouldn't mind. They're all just Cap Troopers anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scotty59

Mongoose
I just bought the Roughnecks Army book, and those guys look like they'd be very tough squad. I don't have the actual Roughnecks figures, however. Aside from the individually sculpted faces and the fact that Rico and Dizzy aren't wearing their helmets, the Roughneck models look pretty much like regular MI.

Would you object if someone wanted to use regular MI models to represent the Roughnecks?

Weeeell......I kinda don't like it when people proxy stuff thats already out, usually I'm ok with proxys untill the model is released, but after thinking about it, I'm sure I'd be ok with it as long as I can tell which one is which.

The way I look at it is that I want to play a game, if the guys i'm playing want to proxy some models then that cool.

Later Days

You can make some really awesome conversions with the plastic MI (I just got a box of 8 more plastic MI ready for converting!! HAPPINESS!). If you put time into them and make them stand out from the normal MI then sure, they would be awesome roughnecks. Some ideas are just really dynamic figs like Mr. Evil's stryker suit MI, or awesome armor conversions, or a really fun thing to do would be to make the squad when ranked up have their bases match to form a couple dead warrior bugs, or what would be really awesome is getting a very large squarebase and a tanker bug and model it so you can put the roughnecks on it as a display stand... that would be awesome to see at a tourney!

It'd depend on the amount of effort they were willing to put in. If they just labelled the bases of normal M.I. I'd feel a bit miffed about it, quoting that it can be a bit offputting when you're scanning the table and can't immediately tell what is supposed to be what without picking them up and turning them around to see if theres anything written on the other side. If I knew they couldnt afford to buy the boxed set and had spent time converting plastic troopers, doing headswaps with sprues from other games, etc, then i'd be more than happy.

It'd also depend on how serious the game was meant to be - if someone just wanted to try out the rules for size and see if it was worth buying the figures (and wasn't going to track it as a win or loss), then no problem.

Sure. Use them once or twice at home, to be sure you like them. After that either keep playing at home like those of us with no LGS, or get the models so your opponents can readily identify.

Here's an example of what I'm doing that may work for this situation. Most of my rank and file are black suits with Forest green armor. My Sgts all have shock sticks and yellow stripes on the shoulder armor. My Female Caps have a lighter green and a pink plate on the chest, sgt had yellow stripes. My veteran caps, which are all just plastic figs, will have different colored armor, such as mars red, blue/white for snow.. with grey undersuits. I also have two painted dark blue with the "data visor" filed off to be my fleet troops, everyone knows they're always getting shot down. :)

I'll probably buy the roughnecks and I have the pathfinders (k9) on the way so no conversions there.

For the bugs, I have black with green stripes. I also have 5 with blue stripes which I use as proxies for figures that I don't have like the guard/assassin/burrower..

If anyone needs pictures, check out:

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/nezeray/my_photos

Some of my figures like the Vets aren't up yet. Oh and look for the plasma bug on the display plaque. A mistake with lots of sand and glue turned into a cool mars landscape.

James / Nezeray

My only problem with proxies is if the person doesn't make the effort to field MGP figures.

If you show up for a tournament with a box of tyranids or Aliens/Predators and say you're playing the arachnids, then I would have a problem. If you have a couple 'nids for mites that that'd be another story.

James / Nezeray

One MI in a power suit looks like another. I would be more apt though to buy another box of veterans than I would the Roughnecks box. I like the sculpts better. As long as they are clearly labeled and easy to distinguish I wouldn't care.

Heck if my opponent wanted to bring 1000 wooden nickels with WAR painted on it to represent warriors I wouldn't care :)

shadoes said:
Heck if my opponent wanted to bring 1000 wooden nickels with WAR painted on it to represent warriors I wouldn't care :)

OH! Where's my sharpie?? That's what I need to do for my warrior swarm. Anyone who's seen my striped warriors will understand why I'd want to wimp out like that. :)

James / Nezeray

Scotty59 said:
I just bought the Roughnecks Army book, and those guys look like they'd be very tough squad. I don't have the actual Roughnecks figures, however. Aside from the individually sculpted faces and the fact that Rico and Dizzy aren't wearing their helmets, the Roughneck models look pretty much like regular MI.

Would you object if someone wanted to use regular MI models to represent the Roughnecks?

Since I'm the poor bastard that'll probally face them on the table, I'd have no problem. We already GOT cap troopers in several paint schemes. Just keep 'em labeled and we'll be fine.

Ray

Back