Regarding Statistics

A perfect example is the current US race for President. In Iowa, the democrats have the following numbers:

Obama: 28%
Clinton: 24%
Edwards: 22%

So, it looks like Obama is winning, but what they usually don't tell you is the margin of error (in this case + 5%).

Statistically, this race is a dead heat since Obama could be as low as 23% and Edwards could be as high as 27%.

When it comes to dice you have to sometimes take a step back and think about it, for example rolling 6 6's in a row is only a 1 in 46656 chance, but that is exactly the same odds as any other outcome of 6 die rolls (when you take order of the rolls into account)

LBH

Tathlum said:
Brothers cast off your cubist opressors!! Round(ish) is the wave of the future!!

Only "roundish" brother Tathlum?

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=11133

:wink:

(I think posting such links are ok on this board, I don't see a faq about it, apologies if I'm mistaken)

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
And, having rolled 6 6's in a row, the odds of rolling another 6 are?????

1 in 6 same as always...

Exactly, when dealing with sequential dice rolls where order of roll is important, any one sequence is as likely as any other, assuming properly random dice.

When sequence matters you're moving into combinatorics as well as probabilty.

LBH

far-trader said:
Tathlum said:
Brothers cast off your cubist opressors!! Round(ish) is the wave of the future!!

Only "roundish" brother Tathlum?

Yup. Even I stop short of the monsterously heretical round d100. *shudder* spacemaster.....

those round d6 are kinda cute though....hadn't seen them before....but are they cute enough to play traveller with d6s???

Back