Regarding magic items in Hyborian age

tneva82

Mongoose
Since I'm not expert on Hyborian age and what is concidered apropriate I'll ask here. Basicly is it feasible that magic items can affect people nearby? Much like The One Ring in Lords of the Rings trying to influence people nearby.

So wizard who would find this item would suddenly find himself having this strange urge to put the item(ring, bracelet, any other item you care to mention)?

Or is that non-appropriate magic item thingie for Conan RPG?

Oh and sorry if question is bit confusing :oops: I know what I mean but don't know how to express it.

If you did do something like that I think you should consider a WILL save in order to completely resist and indeed recognise the luring effect.

DC in the same range as the corruption save of using the item maybe?

ricardo440 said:
If you did do something like that I think you should consider a WILL save in order to completely resist and indeed recognise the luring effect.

Since I'm not really looking for gaming point of view(not anybody to play with) but instead of creating stories and potential story arcs it doesn't really matter.

Afterall I won't piss player off by having their character corrupted to evil :D It's just another character in my on going story I'll plan on starting to write.

I have not seen anything like that in the stories I have read, but I have not really read that many.

But I do know that generally magic items created by one person do not work the same for others, if at all.

Like the Ring of Set that Thoth Amon uses grants him luck and he can summon the Slave of the Ring (demon) but anybody else using it that doesn't know that level of sorcery, merely gets the good luck portion.

tneva82 said:
Since I'm not expert on Hyborian age and what is concidered apropriate I'll ask here. Basicly is it feasible that magic items can affect people nearby? Much like The One Ring in Lords of the Rings trying to influence people nearby.

So wizard who would find this item would suddenly find himself having this strange urge to put the item(ring, bracelet, any other item you care to mention)?

Or is that non-appropriate magic item thingie for Conan RPG?

Oh and sorry if question is bit confusing :oops: I know what I mean but don't know how to express it.
Magic items in Conan ought to fall into one of two general categories: limited usefulness and stupidly powerful.

The first category should be items that are either expendable (one use) or else have a very limited use. A good example would be The Acheronian Black Globe from The Free Companies. It is a small balck ball that when you strike it releases thousands of tiny spiders. What do the spiders do? They eat all the other spiders in the area so that within a week the flies and insects in the area start to swarm and this lowers the morale of people in the area. A cool trick if you want to attack a city, utterly useless for the average adventurer. Also, any drug that you think a mad doctor/chemist might concoct works well too.

The second category should come with so many drawbacks that any sane PC would throw it into the ocean. The One Ring actually would work in a Conan game in as much as it is less a magical item than a plot device and a corrupting one at that. I don't know that I would actually have an "intellegent item" that spoke to PC's but you could easilly simulate the effect by having anyone who spends much time around such an item make Corruption saves or else feel compelled to take the item and use it for evil purposes.

In any event always remember that the key rule of magic items in Conan is that they must never overshadow the character or his abilities. Usually even the "safe" magic items wind up lost or broken at the end of Conan's adventurers.

I know that was all kind of vague but I hope you got something usefull out of it.

Later.

argo said:
I don't know that I would actually have an "intellegent item" that spoke to PC's

What I had in mind isn't technicly speaking but more of an urge to put it on.

but you could easilly simulate the effect by having anyone who spends much time around such an item make Corruption saves or else feel compelled to take the item and use it for evil purposes.

Something like this.

Basicly item that would, when put on, boosts sorcerers power while wearing but starts to corrupt him to evil(corruption points seems like good idea. Since I'll get the book later today I don't know how they work but name sounds promising :D Though since, again, this is more of story purpose doesn't really matter how the corruption points work as I can always work something more suitable up but anyway...).

But the main effect of item would be the corruption part.

Back