Redundancy

chaos0xomega said:
I'm just curious, but did you try this with fighter swarms(specifically fighter v. raid, fighter v. battle, fighter v. war, fighter v. balanced)? Also, did you try this with a fleet of non-redundant ships v. a fleet of redundant ships? Also, did you try a fleet of war ships v. a fleet of raid ships?

There are many many things you have to playtest to ensure nothing is broken.

Well we are going to try it with Skirmish ships Vs Raid/Battle/war on Thursday night for that very reason.

Reaverman said:
chaos0xomega said:
I'm just curious, but did you try this with fighter swarms(specifically fighter v. raid, fighter v. battle, fighter v. war, fighter v. balanced)? Also, did you try this with a fleet of non-redundant ships v. a fleet of redundant ships? Also, did you try a fleet of war ships v. a fleet of raid ships?

Well we are going to try it with Skirmish ships Vs Raid/Battle/war on Thursday night for that very reason.

Just make sure that when you playtest, you don't combine the three levels in all your games. Try each priority level alone, and then don 2 level combo's and then combine the three. That way you can see if it will give certain combo's more of a boost then others.

chaos0xomega said:
Reaverman said:
chaos0xomega said:

Just make sure that when you playtest, you don't combine the three levels in all your games. Try each priority level alone, and then don 2 level combo's and then combine the three. That way you can see if it will give certain combo's more of a boost then others.

Thats not going to work, with aside from the likes of Drakh and Narn. What other fleets, just use one PL fleet. Most fleets, mix to support other ships in the fleet.

Triggy said:
I like the rule a lot but if I introduced it then I would have the following scale:

Raid/Battle: 1
War: 2
Armageddon: 3

Just so that the game isn't flooded by redundancy! Also, keep the damage from each crit, just have the special effect "ignored" at the end of the turn, exactly like in Armageddon (e.g. a crew critical would still have the crew dead but a weapons critical would see the weapons recover and the crew/damage effects remain).

Are you sure you weren't secretly hiding in our game room Saturday afternooon ;-)? I asked our group if we made any changes to Redundancy X what would it be? Over half suggested trying next time the exact same changes you mentioned. We'll try it out later in the week and see how it feels.

Chewy
_________
Semper Fi

chaos0xomega said:

Our scenarios were all pretty much fought with fairly balanced fleets from all the races in ACTA, and no one felt it broke the game. We rolled up a scenario and PL strength as per the campaign rules then the players had to make a random roll to see what race they would have to use in the skirmish. We did this to force our players to try new races and to have to think on their feet. Once a player knew his race he had 15 minutes to choose his fleet before setup began. Skirmishes were limited to two hour sessions. We all six played for a few hours then broke off and continued the next day.

We didn't try munchkin fleets of different combinations as that was not our intent. We wanted to see if we thought redundancy played alright and it we liked its effect.

Chewy
_________
Semper Fi

Chewy said:
Well I said we would playtest this idea this weekend so here is how we implemented this simple rule and what our thoughts were.

Special Ability:
Redundancy X - A ship with the redundancy X trait will automatiically ignore X critical hits per skirmish. So a crit roll of 6 or 5 on precise weapons are reduced to a normal hit and the player checks off a redundancy box on his ship. There is no rolling to see what the crit is or deciding whether or not to use the redundancy. When a ship no longer has any redundancy left, it begins to take crits normally.

Redundancy Scale:
Raid - 1
Battle - 2
War - 3
Armegeddon - 4

how do you replenish the trait between rounds of a campaign?

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Chewy said:
Well I said we would playtest this idea this weekend so here is how we implemented this simple rule and what our thoughts were.

Special Ability:
Redundancy X - A ship with the redundancy X trait will automatiically ignore X critical hits per skirmish. So a crit roll of 6 or 5 on precise weapons are reduced to a normal hit and the player checks off a redundancy box on his ship. There is no rolling to see what the crit is or deciding whether or not to use the redundancy. When a ship no longer has any redundancy left, it begins to take crits normally.

Redundancy Scale:
Raid - 1
Battle - 2
War - 3
Armegeddon - 4

how do you replenish the trait between rounds of a campaign?

LBH

I would suggest that you replenish them as if they were criticals.

Dave

Very Pricey! That's over half a patrol ship for the first critical levied. Too steep for my blood. It'll be a task just to keep the ships' Redundancy running in a campaign. Especially, since you must take it, not that you can opt to take it. I'd scale that back some.

Chewy said:
Triggy said:
I like the rule a lot but if I introduced it then I would have the following scale:

Raid/Battle: 1
War: 2
Armageddon: 3

Just so that the game isn't flooded by redundancy! Also, keep the damage from each crit, just have the special effect "ignored" at the end of the turn, exactly like in Armageddon (e.g. a crew critical would still have the crew dead but a weapons critical would see the weapons recover and the crew/damage effects remain).

Are you sure you weren't secretly hiding in our game room Saturday afternooon ;-)? I asked our group if we made any changes to Redundancy X what would it be? Over half suggested trying next time the exact same changes you mentioned. We'll try it out later in the week and see how it feels.

Chewy
_________
Semper Fi
They just seemed sensible to me - I guess great minds think alike :)

Like the idea of redundancy x, means races without interceptors will probably have more reduntant systems, stop G'Quans being big flying criticals

Chewy wrote:

Special Ability:
Redundancy X - A ship with the redundancy X trait will automatically ignore X critical hits per skirmish. So a crit roll of 6 or 5 on precise weapons are reduced to a normal hit and the player checks off a redundancy box on his ship. There is no rolling to see what the crit is or deciding whether or not to use the redundancy. When a ship no longer has any redundancy left, it begins to take crits normally.

Redundancy Scale:
Raid - 1
Battle - 2
War - 3
Armegeddon – 4

Reaverman, great idea. But what happens with ships that have adaptive armour, geg and self repair? Will they be unbalance? Maybe give them -1 Redundancy?

Arcadia

The accelaration may be too fast to accomodate the layered defenses of some ships. Redundancy one or two will not over power anything but four is a tough cookie.

Maybe
Raid - 1
Battle - 1
War - 2
Arm. - 3

Maybe give +1 redundancy for lack of other defense? Hhmm...the minus one maybe the easier answer.

Ripple

Reaverman, great idea. But what happens with ships that have adaptive armour, geg and self repair? Will they be unbalance? Maybe give them -1 Redundancy?

Self repair and adaptive armour might effect the system a little bit.

However, GEG does nothing againest criticals. Literally.

Btw, I play Dilgar, and out of 20-30ish games, I've gotten to use my Mass Drivers once. With redundency, I doubt I would ever find a use for them. The range, combined with the "no movement", means that they're pretty useless as is. If something like this goes into effect, I would like someone to be coming up with new rules for Mass Drivers, or to have Mass Drivers ripped out and replaced with new weapons.

Please excuse my discontent with one of the two most useless weapons I've ever seen.

voodoomachine said:

Self repair and adaptive armour might effect the system a little bit.

However, GEG does nothing againest criticals. Literally.

Btw, I play Dilgar, and out of 20-30ish games, I've gotten to use my Mass Drivers once. With redundency, I doubt I would ever find a use for them. The range, combined with the "no movement", means that they're pretty useless as is. If something like this goes into effect, I would like someone to be coming up with new rules for Mass Drivers, or to have Mass Drivers ripped out and replaced with new weapons.

Please excuse my discontent with one of the two most useless weapons I've ever seen.

Mass drivers are planetry bombardment, or anti-station weapons. You dont use them against moving targets!

Using Mass drivers is like trying to board other ships, fairly rare. Least with mass drivers you don't have to be within 4".

i like the redundancy idea, but i view it a little differently and so have a couple tweeks that i think fit for my point of view.

first of all, the ships in B5 are really huge, so i don't see them as being actually destried in anything shor of an explosion. even a burnt out hulk would probably have sections where the equipment and crew are still intakt, they just can't get sufficent power to operate that equipment.

given that, i'd say every ship above Raid level should have a redundance of 1, then ships with a flight computer, get an additional 1 (because the ship can provide better information regarding the extent of the damage to the crew), and ships over Battle level get an additional 1.

also i figure a flagship would be built to withstand more abuse than her front line counterparts, becaue in space combat if your enemy can identfy the command ship he will invariable attack it first. as such all ships add their command bonus to their redundance score.

finally scouts get a -1 to their redundancy because they have a lot of sensitive, and advanced equipment that isn't easy to repair if it breaks.

so that's Battle = 1; War, Armagedon, and Anchent = 2
then + the ship's command bonus, +1 if the ship has a flight computer, and -1 if the ship has the scout trait.

this way some ships as small as patrole could concevably have a redundancy score (if they had a flight computer and weren't a scout), but mostly it would be limited to the larger ships, and would help out the command variants that sit unused in a number of fleets. Unfortnately this system is a bit more complcated than i'd like it to be but i figure i'll throw it out there anyway.

After thinking about it for a while i really like the idea ...

I have the impression that Redundancy could be solved in different methods

Should redundancy work automatically ( ignore the first x critical effects ) or should it be selective ( take the -2 speed but ignore the no damage control ) ?
What is your opinion ?

Personally I would prefer a different redundancy level for each PL above Skirmish like others suggested before. Maybe even a different redundancy level for each ship? In this way the fluff could be combined with the game mechanisms ( hard and durably Narn ship for example ).

given that, i'd say every ship above Raid level should have a redundance of 1, then ships with a flight computer, get an additional 1 (because the ship can provide better information regarding the extent of the damage to the crew), and ships over Battle level get an additional 1.

A redundancy level of 1 for a Battle level ship is not enough from my perspective to give it the perseverance it should have in a fight. This would also make the Drakh really tough compared to other races/fleets ... all ships with flight computer + GEG ( and Dodge on lower PL levels).

1- Redundancy should be renamed "Bulk".

2- It should be automatic, falling under the axiom of K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

if you were to go with this then use the way of the ancients- ie you have to have the crit for a round but then you can auto repair it at the next end phase. the only differance is that the younger races have a limited amount of redundancy compared to the ancients and certainly wouldnt be able to rerout systems any quicker than these immortal beings that have lived with their ships for millenia. this way its not a new rule, just an expansion of an existing one.

Back