Recommended Reading V 1-Tales of Kane

Andronicus

Mongoose
Hello there all you howling REH fans! If you're anything like me, you've avidly read every scrap of Robert E. Howard material you could get your greedy mitts on. You've probably subjected yourself to some pretty lame pastiches in search of more literature on par with the original.

In the search for great reading and inspiration, we must not overlook non-Conan, non-REH books. There's plenty of great stuff out there that we can make use of, sometimes really easily. So I am dedicating a series of posts on this forum to just that. Each post will cover one author. I will discuss why they make good additions to the canon and how easily they can be adapted to your Conan chronicles.

Authors I intend to cover (not necessarily in this order), are Karl Edward Wagner, Michael Moorcock, Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber and others. Requirements to make this lists are 1) I need to have read them personally. Elsewise I can't review them. 2) They can't be overwhelmingly magical. Way too much magic and fantastic creatures in Dragonlance or D&D fiction. 3) It can't go too contrary to the mood of Conan. C.S. Lewis's land of talking animals and kids defeating evil just isn't Conan material.

I am totally open to requested authors, debate, criticism etc.

My first author of choice is Karl Edward Wagner. He's an excellent place to start. He openly credited REH as his inspiration and reviled many of the pastiches as weak imitations. While Wagner wrote a great many things, he's most famous for his character of Kane.

Kane is the immortal Kane of legend, who invented murder. He's doomed to wander the Earth until he's destroyed by the violence he created. Kane is defiant and independent, roaming and destroying however he pleases. Sometimes he strongly resembles Conan in his darker moments. However, unlike Conan who is ultimately good, Kane is at best amoral and sometimes downright evil. He rapes, enslaves and murders whenever it suits him. In many of the stories though, he runs into people worse than even himself making him an antihero.

The mood is dark and gothic. The action scenes are incredible and the mood of horror pervasive. Kane is a fully realized character. In addition to being a skilled killer, he's also a great statesman and a deadly wizard. He succumbs to melancholy and sometimes has a conscience. There's a lot to recommend this for Conan fans. I will caution that the Kane stories got really goofy towards the end.

If you're interested in checking this out most are collected into a book called Midnight Sun put out by Night Shade Books. Here are some of the short story samples. A lot are good, but emphasize the ones particularly suited to Conan. These descriptions are necessarily brief, as I loathe plot spoilers and don't want to ruin things for you.

Two Suns Setting-This details Kane meeting one of the last giants, a dying race. The giant wants to retrieve a crown from a lost giant tomb to revive his race.

The Dark Muse-A tormented poet desperate for inspiration turns to Kane's magic for help. Kane agrees to help but treachery and demons await.

Misericorde-A noblewoman seduced a theif to steal a relic from some nearby bandit lords. When that theif dies, she hires Kane as an assassin to avenge him. Naturally, each bandit lord has their specialty.

Lynortis Reprise-There is an old fort that had been the scene of an immense battleground that ultimately killed millions, warping the landscape with mass graves and alchemical warfare. Rumors of treasure brings desperate men to find it, and Kane returns for reasons of his own. Old things still live in the fort...

Raven's Eyrie-Kane is the victim of a powerful hex, meant to destroy him soul and all. The save himself he must atone for a past sin. Aside from the tension of racing against time, this one has a great scene were Kane talks one on one with a demon lord.

Reflections for the Winter of my Soul-Kane, lost in a devastating blizzard, takes shelter in a nobleman's winter keep. All too soon, his respite is interrupted by werewolf attacks. A great "Ten Little Indians" story with plenty of paranoia and battles against wolves.

Cold Light-Kane is wallowing in melancholy in a city nearly empty of life due to a plague that had happened over a decade ago. Rather than finding peace, a band of fanatical adventurers track him down to kill him for glory. These guys claim to serve good, but are clearly evil (torturing innocents for information etc). Great cat and mouse action.

The Gothic Touch-Actually this one is a little goofy, but it delivers on the action and it's got Elric and Moonglum. Crossovers are always fun.

Karl Edward Wagner has written some novels for Kane and even one for Conan. I haven't read them and can't vouch for them, though I'd be surprised if they weren't any good.

This wraps up this post. I hope you all enjoyed reading and look forward to more posts.

I heartily agree with Wagner's Kane being a great character and inspiration for the Conan RPG. The first adventure I did with the Conan RPG with just one friend was adapt (loosely) Reflections for the Winter of my Soul - my favorite Kane story. Dark Muse and Cold Light are also awesome.

8)

Andronicus said:
Hello there all you howling REH fans! If you're anything like me, you've avidly read every scrap of Robert E. Howard material you could get your greedy mitts on. You've probably subjected yourself to some pretty lame pastiches in search of more literature on par with the original.

In the search for great reading and inspiration, we must not overlook non-Conan, non-REH books. There's plenty of great stuff out there that we can make use of, sometimes really easily. So I am dedicating a series of posts on this forum to just that. Each post will cover one author. I will discuss why they make good additions to the canon and how easily they can be adapted to your Conan chronicles.

Authors I intend to cover (not necessarily in this order), are Karl Edward Wagner, Michael Moorcock, Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber and others. Requirements to make this lists are 1) I need to have read them personally. Elsewise I can't review them. 2) They can't be overwhelmingly magical. Way too much magic and fantastic creatures in Dragonlance or D&D fiction. 3) It can't go too contrary to the mood of Conan. C.S. Lewis's land of talking animals and kids defeating evil just isn't Conan material.

My first author of choice is Karl Edward Wagner. He's an excellent place to start. He openly credited REH as his inspiration and reviled many of the pastiches as weak imitations. While Wagner wrote a great many things, he's most famous for his character of Kane.

Kane is the immortal Kane of legend, who invented murder. He's doomed to wander the Earth until he's destroyed by the violence he created. Kane is defiant and independent, roaming and destroying however he pleases. Sometimes he strongly resembles Conan in his darker moments. However, unlike Conan who is ultimately good, Kane is at best amoral and sometimes downright evil. He rapes, enslaves and murders whenever it suits him. In many of the stories though, he runs into people worse than even himself making him an antihero.

The mood is dark and gothic. The action scenes are incredible and the mood of horror pervasive. Kane is a fully realized character. In addition to being a skilled killer, he's also a great statesman and a deadly wizard. He succumbs to melancholy and sometimes has a conscience. There's a lot to recommend this for Conan fans. I will caution that the Kane stories got really goofy towards the end.

If you're interested in checking this out most are collected into a book called Midnight Sun put out by Night Shade Books. Here are some of the short story samples. A lot are good, but emphasize the ones particularly suited to Conan. These descriptions are necessarily brief, as I loathe plot spoilers and don't want to ruin things for you.

Two Suns Setting-This details Kane meeting one of the last giants, a dying race. The giant wants to retrieve a crown from a lost giant tomb to revive his race.

The Dark Muse-A tormented poet desperate for inspiration turns to Kane's magic for help. Kane agrees to help but treachery and demons await.

Misericorde-A noblewoman seduced a theif to steal a relic from some nearby bandit lords. When that theif dies, she hires Kane as an assassin to avenge him. Naturally, each bandit lord has their specialty.

Lynortis Reprise-There is an old fort that had been the scene of an immense battleground that ultimately killed millions, warping the landscape with mass graves and alchemical warfare. Rumors of treasure brings desperate men to find it, and Kane returns for reasons of his own. Old things still live in the fort...

Raven's Eyrie-Kane is the victim of a powerful hex, meant to destroy him soul and all. The save himself he must atone for a past sin. Aside from the tension of racing against time, this one has a great scene were Kane talks one on one with a demon lord.

Reflections for the Winter of my Soul-Kane, lost in a devastating blizzard, takes shelter in a nobleman's winter keep. All too soon, his respite is interrupted by werewolf attacks. A great "Ten Little Indians" story with plenty of paranoia and battles against wolves.

Cold Light-Kane is wallowing in melancholy in a city nearly empty of life due to a plague that had happened over a decade ago. Rather than finding peace, a band of fanatical adventurers track him down to kill him for glory. These guys claim to serve good, but are clearly evil (torturing innocents for information etc). Great cat and mouse action.

The Gothic Touch-Actually this one is a little goofy, but it delivers on the action and it's got Elric and Moonglum. Crossovers are always fun.

Karl Edward Wagner has written some novels for Kane and even one for Conan. I haven't read them and can't vouch for them, though I'd be surprised if they weren't any good.

This wraps up this post. I hope you all enjoyed reading and look forward to more posts.

I agree totally- I also love KEW and his Kane stories. I recently traveled to Frank Frazetta's art museum in East Stroudsburg PA. FF did a lot of the covers of KEW's Kane books, as well as many Conan covers, and other great characters known to us all. I feel FF really did the Kane and Conan characters justice. I purchased many copies of his paintings, and it was fun to gaze upon the actual paintings done by the great artist himself. It was fun seeing the actual brush strokes on the canvas, and how the characters really come to life. I'm going to do a post about my trip there, and to some other notable sites this year, including to HPLs grave, and REH's grave as well during the latest Howard Days. But yes, I agree totally that Kane is a great character, and KEW's stories are really fun to read. Kane is unusual in that you will often be rooting for the other guy to win, throughout many of the stories. Kane is a character that you, at times, love and hate simutaneously. I would add Dark Crusade to my list of fav stories. The Satakis are a classic and wicked group of fanatics. Bloodstone is also a fav of mine. Great stuff!

Yea, I really need to get around to tracking down the Kane stories one of these days. What a burden to bear, my reading list is just so long! :roll:

Anyway;
Andronicus said:
I would recomend you add Edgar Rice Burroughs to your list espically his Barsoom/John Carter of Mars books. I lent some to a friend and the first thing he says to me when he came back was "dude, this is great. It's like Conan in space!"

Later.

I checked out some online sources here and its a pricey book for me, so it will have to wait I guess :(

But the character looks very interesting and the stories will definately find a place in my Conan Savage Worlds campaign that I'm working on.

quigs said:
I checked out some online sources here and its a pricey book for me, so it will have to wait I guess :(

But the character looks very interesting and the stories will definately find a place in my Conan Savage Worlds campaign that I'm working on.

What kind of talk is this? Only civilized weaklings actually buy things! Make like the barbarian I know you are, slap on a horned helmet, and pillage bookstores till they give you what you want! :twisted:

I feel ya Quigs, I truely do. Truth be told, I borrowed my copy from my brother. When looking for any book, I say always check the library system first. Even if they don't have a copy, you might be able to order one in. Also, some of his stories might be found in lesser collections. They would be incomplete but cheaper.

My next articale will be about Edgar Rice Burroughs, due to veiwer demand. All his books are pretty small, unless you get a big honking collection. Small=cheap.

Andronicus said:
I feel ya Quigs, I truely do. Truth be told, I borrowed my copy from my brother.

Same with me! In fact, I still have his Midnight Sun Kane collection - hope this doesn't remind him. :lol: :lol:

But i do have some Kane paperbacks from used bookstores - always look for Kane and Conan. My brother and I always joke about someday finding the elusive Wagner & Howard bookstore with the 30% off sale! No luck to date. :lol:

ERB's Tarzan stories wouldn't be to hard to turn into a Conan adventure in the Black Kingdoms or even the jungles of Khitai - where Yog Kosha lived for awhile worshipped as a God.

Currently the Science Fiction Book Club has reprints of Night Shade's two volume collection of Wagner's Kane series.
In addition they have the first six books of the John Carter/Barsoom series in a two volume set. With plans to release all the books over the next couple of years.

Back