Reactions

madcyric

Mongoose
Sorry guys but I need your help:

Is dodging one of two options for reactions? Or is it Reaction / Dodge / Parry - meaning that reaction is an option by itself?

If it`s only Dogde / Parry are the penalties for reactions added to the penalties for dodge / parry?

Thx for your help
cy

Dodge and Parry are your only options.

If it`s only Dogde / Parry are the penalties for reactions added to the penalties for dodge / parry?

You don't roll for dodge and parry. You give give the person who is making an attack roll a -1 to their roll.

Multiple reactions do stack though. Say you make 10 reactions this round. You'll have to make all skill check at a -10 for the remainder of that round.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, got it... thx! :)

But: what happens, if the dodging / parrying character allready acted in this round? Does this mean he will have his -1 to all skill checks until AFTER his next actions?

And thx for the welcome!

madcyric said:

But: what happens, if the dodging / parrying character allready acted in this round? Does this mean he will have his -1 to all skill checks until AFTER his next actions?

And thx for the welcome!

That's the way I'm planning on ruling it.

madcyric said:

And thx for the welcome!
Madcyric, here's the info directly quoted from the main book (emphasis mine)

page 62
Dodging:
A character who is being attacked may dodge, giving his attacker a –1 DM and giving himself a –1 DM on all skill checks until the next round. If the character is in cover or has an obstruction to duck or dodge behind, the DM to hit him is increased to –2.

Parrying
A character who is being attacked in melee can parry, applying his Melee skill as a negative DM equal to the attack roll. A parrying character also has a –1 DM on all skill checks until the next round.

The next round starts with the character/NPC highest Initiative in the turn order.
See page 60 under "Combat Round"
Once everyone has acted a combat round is over and a new round begins. Initiative is not re-rolled but is dynamic, and may be adjusted up and down by actions taken during a round.
I hope this helps.

Good morning!

But this would mean that a fast player would not have any penalty for doing reactions but his initiative penalty (at least in the first round)..

This does not sound reasonable to me, does it?

madcyric said:
Good morning!

But this would mean that a fast player would not have any penalty for doing reactions but his initiative penalty (at least in the first round)..

This does not sound reasonable to me, does it?
Ok, I was a little distracted when I read the original comments and hopefully I haven't confused the issue.

Look at TMB Pg 60
DYNAMIC INITIATIVE
During the course of a round a character’s Initiative score may be changed by reactions, recoil and hastening. Any changes affect your initiative for one round only – either the current round if you have yet to act or the following round if you have acted already. Reactions reduce your Initiative in order to allow you to defend yourself from attacks. Recoil slows you down if you are using a weapon heavier than you can handle. Hastening your action lets you act sooner but at a penalty to your roll.
and pg 61/62
REACTIONS
A character who is about to be attacked can react, dodging or ducking out of the way. This means that the more time a character spends reacting, the longer it will be until he acts himself. Each reaction lowers Initiative by 2 and applies a –1 DM to all skill checks until the following round. There is no limit to how many times a character can react in a round but a character can only react once to each attack and the penalties from reacting are cumulative. A character can only react to attacks that he is aware of.

MY ANALYSIS EXAMPLE
So, if I (my character) has an initiative of 15, and in Round 1 dodge a melee attack against me at initiative 10, then in Round 2 my initiative becomes 13 (and if I don't react in Round 2, goes back to 15 for Round 3).

Now a Round is "everyone acting once" but do modifiers like the ones we've been discussing last the "one round between my turn now and my next turn"?

I'm with DMccoy, the negatives to all skill checks last until the end of his next turn.

Okay, got it. :)

My probblem is besides working with short rule explanantions in the character creation as well as the combat chapter I`m working with their german translations, too. And hell... with autofire they tranlated rounds as in ammo with rounds as in time. So a burst takes 4x6 sec of time instead of 4 rounds of ammo. ungh :?

Not easy to get a game running this way...

Thx everyone for their help! Good to be here now... :)

ParanoidGamer said:
Look at TMB Pg 60
DYNAMIC INITIATIVE
During the course of a round a character’s Initiative score may be changed by reactions, recoil and hastening. Any changes affect your initiative for one round only – either the current round if you have yet to act or the following round if you have acted already. Reactions reduce your Initiative in order to allow you to defend yourself from attacks. Recoil slows you down if you are using a weapon heavier than you can handle. Hastening your action lets you act sooner but at a penalty to your roll.

Now a Round is "everyone acting once" but do modifiers like the ones we've been discussing last the "one round between my turn now and my next turn"?
I'm with DMccoy, the negatives to all skill checks last until the end of his next turn.

You actually posted the answer to this in your quotes above about Dynamic initiative.

Relevant line
"Any changes affect your initiative for one round only – either the current round if you have yet to act or the following round if you have acted already"

Thats pretty clear to me.

So to sum up, having a high Initiative is awesome and will help win the fight by allowing reactions without penalizing what you're trying to do. Thus making skills like Leadership and Tactics awesome and worthwhile.

Errrr, no, not really. You get a one round penalty. If you have high initiative, it hits you next time you act this allows you to act first and not get that action penalised - but you suffer afterwards. The slower guy gets stuck this round but can batter happily the round after.

High initiative will therefore only really be unpenalised in single round combats. If you win that fast I'd suggest initiative ratings likely had little to do with it.

Back