Reactions to the Rise of King Conan?

Nyarlathotep

Mongoose
I was wondering if anyone here ever thought about what the general reactions of the Hyborian Age was to the rise of Conan as King of Aquilonia.

There are various different levels to look at this:

Personal: As well all know, Conan had a long career and a whole lot of contacts, friends, and ex-loves before he became king. One must really wonder what folks who have survived up to that point like Valeria, the Devi Yasmin, the Black Corsairs, etc - must have thought about their former ally/companion, especially after he successfully warded off attempts to overthrow his rule.

Another question to raise: Would anyone dare pay a visit to the Lion of Aquilonia?

Race/Nation: A Barbarian sits on the throne of the pre-eminent nation of the West. Obviously from sources such as the Hour of the Dragon and the Scarlet Citadel, many aristocrats would view him as an illegitimate king - and slowly change their opinion as he continues to reign successfully.

What about the barbaric nations - most notably the Cimmerians? Surely there must be some hint of pride and a little mirth that its "an uncultured brute" that commands the most powerful nation in the Hyborian age.

Nyarlathotep said:
the Black Corsairs
In The Hour of the Dragon, the Argossean merchant who smuggled goods bought from Conan and his Black Corsairs made everything he could to not let "this ghost from the past" interfere with his present life. Conan was named Amra among the Corsairs and really few people knew his true name (I like the alias rules).
the Devi Yasmin
Vendhya is really far away from Aquilonia, about half a world. Aquilonians have an altered vision of Asura's cult, and Vendhyans probably have not much information about Aquilonian politics.
Cimmerians
I don't see Cimmerians taking interest in politics at all. But Aquilonia and Cimmeria do share a border, so perhaps during a raid a Cimmerian could find a hint about this (perhaps a coin with Conans head on it).
A Barbarian sits on the throne of the pre-eminent nation of the West. Obviously from sources such as the Hour of the Dragon and the Scarlet Citadel, many aristocrats would view him as an illegitimate king - and slowly change their opinion as he continues to reign successfully
Slowly, and only because Conan won every battle or challenge to his rule.
No idea.

About Valeria, she was, for a short time, lover of Conan and she was also Aquilonian. I imagine her aiding the Cimmerian to become king of the country where she was born...

I imagine those who care, smell money and opportunity from the instability. Conan has his throne usurped twice during his reign and barely thwarts a third coup attempt.

The surrounding nations, more or less, attempt to conquer Aquilonia because they view Conan as a weak King without an heir. It's reasonably true since Conan gets overthrown by the fickle populous twice (again, it's because Howard re-used his work but its true).

If we're to extrapolate, I imagine the Church of Mitra bitterly loathes the fact that a pagan is sitting on the throne. The Cimmerians might attempt to call Conan a traitor but they'd just be very stupid for it and would die if they said it to his face.

The commoners know Conan as a Usurper but King now, they hated the Old King during the start of his reign and both Conan's replacements are complete ****** so that they swiftly learn what a huge mistake it is to support anyone else as King.

Realistically, outside Nemedia, Cimmeria, the Picts, Zingara, Argos, Ophir, Koth and possibly Corinthia and Brythunia, not that many people know Conan is king and a lot don't even know where or what Aquilonia is.

In other words, the neighbours know, and slowly a few foreign dignitaries. The people most likely to be offended by his existence are the Hyborian kingdoms. The likes of Turan and Vendhya I suspect wouldn't much care the birth details of their potential enemies so much as their capabilities.

Your average noble is bound to get a bit shirty about a king with the kind of personal habits that Conan has, but even within the books there's a feeling that at least on the surface he grudgingly learns the niceties of court behaviour.

Back