Raider Fighter

SSWarlock

Mongoose
I've been playing around with designing a medium fast fighter for commerce raiding and interdiction interception and have come up with the following.

Craft Mission: Fighter Raider
Craft Name: FR-128 "Archer" Interceptor
TL: 14

Item (TL 14 maximum).......................Tons.............Cost (MCr)..........Notes
Hull....................................................................1.3...............30 tons displacement. Built at TL 12 to reduce costs. Base Hull/Structure = 1/1
Armor: Bonded Superdense....................1.5.................0.6474...........Hull Armor Factor = 6
Stealth................................................................3..................-4 DM to all incoming detection/lock-on rolls
Radiation Shielding..................................................7.5...............Absorbs 1,000 rads, hardens entire vessel, +6 Armor vs. radiation
Reflec.................................................................3..................+3 Armor vs. Lasers
Streamlining.........................................................0.13
Gravitic M-Drive sZ...........................14.25..............52..................Provides 16Gs performance. Advanced construction (75% of std. tonnage)
Power Plant sZ..................................9.225.............40..................Advanced construction (75% of std. tonnage)
Fuel (1 day duration)...........................0.35...............0.00175..........24 hours = 240 combat turns
Triple Turret.........................................................1
- Single Particle Beam..............................................8.................Advanced construction (Long Range, Very High Yield), Damage = 3D6 + automatic crew radiation hit
Fire Control for Turret.........................1....................0
Cockpit...........................................1.5.................0.15
- Main Computer...................................................10.................Model 5, Program Rating: 20
- Standard Sensor Suite.......................0....................0.................-4 DM all Sensor rolls
- Enhanced Signal Processing.................2....................8.................+4 DM all Sensor rolls; +2 to Full & Limited range bands
Cargo............................................0.175
SubTotal.......................................30.................134.72915

Software
Maneuver/0..........................................................0
Evade 1/10...........................................................1.................Computer auto-reacts to incoming fire, giving a -1 DM to all hostile attack rolls, and can dodge 1 attack per round.
Fire Control 3/15....................................................6..................Computer can fire one weapon/round OR give up to a +3 DM to a single attack/round OR fire one weapon and give a +2 DM to an attack, including its own.
Library/0.............................................................0..................Reference database
Total...............................................................141.72915

Let's look at some of the design aspects of this craft from a tactical sense.

1) First, the moderate level of armor, lack of hull reinforcement, and a particle beam with enhanced range means this craft is not to be used as a close-in brawler. Instead, it's a sniper, engaging its targets from as far away as it can while maintaining its distance from the target. This allows the Archer to potentially reduce its target's accuracy and simultaneously maximize its own accuracy.
2) With an acceleration of 16Gs, it can chase down any vessel and outrun any missile. And its twenty-four hour fuel duration enables it to take on long patrols or have a very long loiter time when monitoring an area for target traffic.
3) Because it mounts a turret-based weapon, it can engage targets from any angle but those targets must be limited to commercial vessels and lightly armored warships. The tonnage requirement of a barbette-based weapon is prohibitive for a craft of the Archer's displacement.
4) The combination of a standard sensor suite with enhanced signal processing means the craft can detect targets as if it has a standard military sensor suite while gaining a level of detail resolution much better than the military standard. This allows the pilot to identify target details at a range beyond standard military vessels, enabling it to much more easily decide which targets to engage and which to avoid.
5) Combat capability may be improved without requiring a reallocation of tonnage through the refitting of higher model computers and software, albeit at significant additional cost. For example, being able to improve the Fire Control 3 software to Fire Control 5 allows the computer to provide a +5 DM to the Pilot when he fires the particle beam. This would completely negate any negative modifiers due to range..or poor gunnery skill on the part of the pilot. As another example, upgrading the Evade 1 software to Evade 3 would allow the computer to provide a -2 DM on up to three incoming attacks per combat round while requiring only 3Gs of maneuverability, allowing the fighter to allocate 13Gs for other uses.

I did look into the use of a Very High Yield plasma gun instead of the particle beam but there was no significant gain in armor penetration over that of a Very High Yield particle beam and the effect of its range reduction on accuracy and loss of an automatic crew radiation hit were significant, in my opinion. The radiation hit can be used as psychological leverage in persuading a target to surrender without firing a shot.

Thoughts?

Nice. I've got a slot open for a space superiority fighter in my pursuit frigate I'll get up shortly that I'd intended to study and cherry pick one of these designs for and this might fit the bill. I've been focusing on a bunch of high thrust burner drones I've been working on at the same time that's integral to the pursuit frigate design.

In this case the long range high speed is great, a tremendous advance scout. But one needs to keep in mind that this very expensive fighter will run into say small corvettes/destroyers/frigates who'll be over the 5000ton requirement for the distributed array sensors and may get into trouble when such a vessel detects the fighter early. The value for this design to get a particle beam into a long range location would need a fair bit of tactical consideration. My pursuit frigate would use it. But I'm not sure in a fleet design whether a more survivable scout, your weasel fighter, might not be preferred.

But it suits me, I've got a bunch of stuff for 'over the horizon' fighting, which this could be a useful addition (despite the cost, heh). It would be used in conjunction with my bow chaser sensor drones, which cruise in front a ship, once they detect something this fighter would then zip off to deal with it long before a capital ship would come into play.

Chas said:
Thank you. :)

Chas said:
In this case the long range high speed is great, a tremendous advance scout. But one needs to keep in mind that this very expensive fighter will run into say small corvettes/destroyers/frigates who'll be over the 5000ton requirement for the distributed array sensors and may get into trouble when such a vessel detects the fighter early. The value for this design to get a particle beam into a long range location would need a fair bit of tactical consideration.
Exactly! This craft is specifically made to scout and engage weak targets, not something that can really hit back while taking a lot of punishment. For that, you'd need these squadrons of things. Or, as you mentioned in your post, better to go with a heavier space superiority fighter/scout, like my Wild Weasel-class, when taking on the tough targets.

By combining the Archer with Wolverine-, Wild Weasel-, and Quickhatch-class fighters, a carrier can project quite a presence by itself in a star system.

Edit: the fighters mentioned above can be found in the posts at http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=56561&start=90

Back