Quintessential Series!

C'mon guys! I was loving the Advanced Tactics books, and now they have just fizzed out. At least cover the basic classes! I would love a Sorcerer II book!
The Ranger II book was great!
C'mon Please!
Oh yeah, Also---get in touch with CMP so that you books will be datasets for their upcoming Role Playing Tool Kit
Please!!

A 4th edition??? Man, am I glad that Babylon 5 still uses 3rd edition.

Glad I didn't buy the 3.5 stuff too.

The only 3.5 stuff I have is the Expanded Psionics Handbook (But that was before Psi COrps came out) and the Mongose PHB which is 3.5 rules.

I've just searched WotC for 4th edition,. I think Matt may have been joking, but with WotC you can't be sure.

LBH

msprange said:
Sorry - no plans for this at the moment. We want to see what WotC do with a 4th edition first. . .

/cry

Whatever happened to Quint Half-Elf? It was mentioned in Quint Elf as being something they'd make. I haven't followed the magazines - did anything ever pop up there? A pdf would be cool if they only wanted to do a little bit.

I have heard rumours at other RPG forums, that there have been plans for a 4th edition of D&D being developed shortly after release of 3.5. Although most of the quoted sources within or close to WotC said that there is nothing ready right now and that at least the first half of 2007 will see future releases of more 3.5 material.

There's a vague suggestion that the new edition of the Star Wars RPG may be used by WotC to test ideas for 4th Ed D&D, but that's unlikely, IMHO.

Even if it is, we'd be looking at the tail end of 2007 at the earliest, more likely mid-late 2008 before 4th Ed D&D appears

PhoenixAndy said:
There's a vague suggestion that the new edition of the Star Wars RPG may be used by WotC to test ideas for 4th Ed D&D, but that's unlikely, IMHO.

That would be the announced so called Saga version of the Star Wars game? Sounds like something the Wizards might try...

Cut said:
PhoenixAndy said:

That would be the announced so called Saga version of the Star Wars game? Sounds like something the Wizards might try...
That's the one, yep.

The other rumour about 4th Edition is that there will be no 4.0 SRD, effectively closing off any changes they make. Supposedly WotC have denied this. I would imagine that's a good reason to wait and see what they do, though :)

mthomason said:
The other rumour about 4th Edition is that there will be no 4.0 SRD, effectively closing off any changes they make. Supposedly WotC have denied this.

Shouldn't hit the Mongoose too hard these days as they have established their very own system and SRD with the new RuneQuest just recently. I'd say, that the generell d20 segment of Mongoose is slowly going into sleep. It remains to be seen if this will have any impact on MP own lines like Conan and LoneWolf, maybe we'll get adapted RuneQuest versions of these games (as many have allready oracled about a Conan 2nd edition using MRQ rules...)

Wonder what it would mean to a huge line like Babylon 5... :?:

B5 pretty much stands on its own, as do most of the Mongoose d20 (non-logoed) games nowadays. A change to 4.0 would likely not affect them, as many players buy them for the licence and not because they are d20-derived.

The stuff that would be far more likely to get hit are things such as the Complete Campaigns and Quintessentials. Mongoose are lucky enough to have distanced themselves from the D&D core rulebook long enough ago to give them some good insulation against any changes in that area.

IMO, the companies that need to get their contingency plans into gear are those such as Necromancer Games who pretty much rely on creating d20 "support" products. Many of the "d20 support" companies (although not Necromancer specifically to the best of my knowledge) seem to be in denial over the whole issue of 4.0, assuming that enough of their current customers will stay with 3.5. I think this is somewhat of a mistake on their part, because even if they do, you can't live off an existing customer base forever. You have to have a constant cycle of new customers coming in to replace the old ones that decide they've had enough of RPGs in their life - a large proportion of RPG customers walk into their local store and buy a few books for maybe 3-5 years, then give up on the whole thing.

A non-OGL 4.0 would cause the number of 3.5/d20 players to dwindle. Seeing as the d20 market is already swamped with too many products, there would be a shrinking customer base and far too many publishers trying to milk it.

Looking back at the move to removing d20 logos from Mongoose books and making them standalone games, you could even think that maybe someone thought about all of this long ago, and that Mongoose are now safely ahead of the game here.

YEah, I can't think of a single Mongoose line that has had releases in the last few months that is d20 logoed, apart from maybe the upcoming reprint of LW, I dunno if that's d20.

LBH

Back