Quick Comment of Concern

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to mention my concern that the Vorlon ships will not be appearing in "No Surrender, No Retreat". This is particularly upsetting as they are reserved for a 50 dollar boxed board game. I will likely never play the wargame, so most of the boxed set will be a waste. Does this mean there is no other way to get the Vorlon ships? I understand that Mongoose needs to make money on every product, but this seems a little excessive, especially for a race that played such a vital role in the series. Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.

ronbogard said:
They will be in the furture release of the Vorlan/Shadow Book.

Thank you for the response, but that book is by all accounts quite a ways off (I didn't even see it on the release schedule).

I will more than likely buy the boxed set, but it just seemed like a strange way to introduce the Vorlons. Sorry to all if this sounded like a whine.

The other problem with buying the boxed set for that purpose is that it won't be using D20 rules. So the information you get won't be directly applicable to the RPG. However, you would probably be able to use the other races' ship info in order to extrapolate what you need.

You may just end up having to be patient to get what you are looking for.

Anonymous said:
ronbogard said:

Thank you for the response, but that book is by all accounts quite a ways off (I didn't even see it on the release schedule).

I will more than likely buy the boxed set, but it just seemed like a strange way to introduce the Vorlons. Sorry to all if this sounded like a whine.
Hi guys,

Due to my rather rampant anal retentiveness I wrote down off the boards somewhere that the upcoming Vorlon/Shadow book is pegged for release in 2005 and the title I heard being banded about was "Darkness and Light"

Hope this helps

Lastbesthope

ronbogard said:

Shame its not earlier than 2005. That said mongoose did add some basic shadow ship details as a download. And its unlikely that anyones going to be taking on a vorlon warship, those personal transports are fricking lethal.... :shock:

So we don't get Shadow Ships and Vorlon ships.

What's the big deal?

The Vorlons were shown as being in two battles with the Younger Races.

A few smaller Shadow ships would be fine for the RPG for those GMs who want to have their players have the thrill fighting and very probably getting killed by them.

I don't understand the need for either of them from a RPG perspective.

The series only has them show up in the middle years. How many months are the Shadows active even if you count from Jan 2258? 24 to 36 months?

The Vorlon's ships are active even less for the RPG.

Give me the Shadow's and Vorlon's allies for the RPG. They're going to be active for a lot longer. Even into the ISA period.

Sidney

As a rule I stay out of conversations about what is and is not in a book...however, in this case I'll make an exception.

I debated for a long time putting in stats for the Vorlon ships, mostly because I thought it would be amusing to play out some of the 'foreground' battle shots headed into "Into the Fire". Sweep in, hit some Vorlons in the nose, run like hell.

On sober reflection though, Sheridan is right. Nothing the younger races can throw at the Vorlons can destroy them. We are doing good when we inflict some damage (using Minbari weapons aboard a hybrid Minbari/Vorlon warship) to basically unmanned listening posts. We can damage them (witness the use of the Gaim warheads) if they are not expecting it, but destroy one in an open fight? Not on our best day.

Even if we could kill one ship Vorlons fly around in giant packs. Let's say an entire fleet mobbed one of their little warships and cut it apart. You can kill just about anything with a sufficient application of force. What are the other 450ish Vorlon ships doing while you kill their friend? Sitting around drinking tea and discussing how hard it is to use a three-edged sword?

Then you get into the story reasons for not including the ships. It doesn't really matter how tough their ships are. A hell of a lot tougher than ours is all that counts. We CANNOT win a fight with them. That's part of "Into the Fire"'s point: Sherdian and the younger races reject and defy the elders knowing the possible consequences and accepting them. They can swat us aside like bugs if they are so inclined. But they don't...because in the end, it's not about guns. It's about ideas, about hopes, about making the world a better place because you can. Its about letting go when the time comes, which is one of the hardest things you can ever ask anyone to do.

So no. No Vorlon ships. Sorry. If your players run into one, just smile and let them do whatever makes them feel good.

Think of it like being attacked by a one year old. You are never in any danger, but eventually you get annoyed enough to administer a little spanking.

Preach mode off. Lurk mode back on.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Pondering dinner

I can wait for "Darkness and Light" for the rules to be released for the reasons that skalvar gave. If the shadow ships are nearly invincible, what chance do characters stand against Vorlon ships whithout a small fleet on there side.

Mmmm.....dinner...

Oh, yea, we were talking about something else. I got distracted by skalvar's comments.

Anyway, I picture a race attacking the Vorlon's as something akin to the Roman Legions engaging an Armored Cav Regiment. Hmm....a couple of scouts get killed by spears and a Humvee gets broke by a flying boulder. Ticks off said Cav Regiment which proceeds to run over the Legion with its tanks, sometimes firing its weapons merely becuase it's fun.

Back