Questions about the Mongoose Pocket Modern Handbook

lastbesthope

Mongoose
Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting the Mongoose Pocket Modern Handbook as a resource for the Stargate SG-! RPG. I was wondering:

1) Has anyone else bought it and found it useful for that sort of thing?

2) Does d20 Modern have Edition 3 and 3.5, and which is the handbook?

3) What are the differences between the Modern Pocket Handbook and the Pocket Player's handbook.

Thanks for your help, advice and opinions

:)

LBH

lastbesthope said:
1) Has anyone else bought it and found it useful for that sort of thing?
Although I own both Mongoose's pocket books, I use the modern one as the basis for B5, as it contains a more relevant equipment section, among other things.

lastbesthope said:
2) Does d20 Modern have Edition 3 and 3.5, and which is the handbook?
From my understanding of it, the distinction between 3.0 and 3.5 is only relevant to the fantasy part, the one covered by the Pocket Player's Handbook. WotC published the original modern core book after the release of D&D 3.5.

lastbesthope said:
3) What are the differences between the Modern Pocket Handbook and the Pocket Player's handbook.
Basicaly, the latter is aimed to fantasy gaming while the former add many elements geared toward modern/contemporary era. Both contains basic stuff like characters creation, lists of skills & feats, and combat rules.

lastbesthope said:
I was thinking about getting the Mongoose Pocket Modern Handbook as a resource for the Stargate SG-! RPG.

I don't think the Modern Pocket Handbook will be useful to you for Stargate SG1. The Pocket Player's Handbook might be, but it is based on D&D 3.5 rules, not 3.0.

The Stargate SG1 RPG uses the Spycraft rules - Spycraft is based on D&D 3.0 rules (I'm pretty sure they haven't updated to 3.5 yet) and "requires the WotC PHB" to play.

d20 Modern, while some of its influence can be seen in 3.5, is not really 3.0 or 3.5 - it's a totally different game. A d20 game, yes, but much is different from 3.0 and 3.5 D&D.

Thanks for clarifying guys.

What about Judge Dredd? Would the d20 Modern Pocket book be useful as an addon for Judge Dredd campaigns or does it not really fit that well? Is d20 Modern completely set in this day and age or does it include some futuristic equipment, weapons and armor as well?

Arabin

jaerdaph said:
The Stargate SG1 RPG uses the Spycraft rules - Spycraft is based on D&D 3.0 rules (I'm pretty sure they haven't updated to 3.5 yet) and "requires the WotC PHB" to play.

I have heard over on the Alderac boards talk about SpyCraft 2.0. whether this includes 3.5 changes or is an independent upgrade I don't know.

Thanks for all the help guys. keep the comments coming if you think of any.

As for what books I own, I hae the D&D 3rd edition Player's Handbook. I also have the Mongoose Pocket Player's Book (Cheapest and easiest way to get the 3.5 upgrade) I'm going ot get the Pocket GM's guide and I was just considering getting the Pocket Modern Player's book as well. It's bound to come in useful sometime.

Thanks

LBH

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

redlaco said:
Modern is definitely geared toward contemporary age. You should look for WotC's upcoming D20 Future.

Thanks Red. I hadn't even heard they were making this. I will be sure to look for this one at GenCon... only three weeks to go now.

Arabin

Back