questions about Kai Lords

wayward_sage

Mongoose
I've got some questions concerning the Kai monks.

1. If the lore stones were lost, and lone wolf had to go find them, how did the Kai Lords before him attain the Magnakai ranks? Weren't the lorestones what made you go up in ranks of knowledge in the kai disciplines?

2. Before the massacre, who was the highest ranking Kai Lord? What rank was he at? what was his name? Or for that matter...who were some of the highest ranking lords leading up to the massacre? Do the books even talk about them? The gamebooks? The legends?

3. Were all Kai lords strictly from Sommurlund? Or could they be from beyond this kingdom?

4. Did the Grand Master desciplines exist before Lone Wolf? Were any of the lords before the massacre of this level? Why? Why not?

Any help would be apreciated.

sunwolf

In my new campaign i'm naming the head of the order Sunwolf..hehe...

wayward_sage said:
1. If the lore stones were lost, and lone wolf had to go find them, how did the Kai Lords before him attain the Magnakai ranks? Weren't the lorestones what made you go up in ranks of knowledge in the kai disciplines?

Sun Eagle wrote the training methods into the Book of the Magnakai. When that book was lost, the training methods were passed down by word of mouth. Lone Wolf needed the Lorestones because he was the only survivor of the Kai massacre, and the Book of the Magnakai's writing had faded after a couple thousand years.

wayward_sage said:
2. Before the massacre, who was the highest ranking Kai Lord? What rank was he at? what was his name? Or for that matter...who were some of the highest ranking lords leading up to the massacre? Do the books even talk about them? The gamebooks? The legends?

Winter Owl became the last Grand Master when Storm Hawk was killed. Storm Hawk is mentioned in The Legacy of Vashna, and both play parts in Eclipse of the Kai.

wayward_sage said:
3. Were all Kai lords strictly from Sommurlund? Or could they be from beyond this kingdom?

In the gamebooks, all Kai Lords were Sommlending, while the novels added descendants from Durenor and Cloesia.

wayward_sage said:
4. Did the Grand Master desciplines exist before Lone Wolf? Were any of the lords before the massacre of this level? Why? Why not?

If they were, no one's talking.

Hi all, I'm from Italy and this is my first message on this forum.
Now, to answer your questions:

1. Kai Masters learned Magnakai disciplines from their colleagues. Of course, Lone Wolf was the only Kai around at the time of the Magnakai quest, so he had to rely on the Lorestones (and on the book of the Magnakai).

2. In don't know. As far as i remember, neither the gamebooks nor the Magnamund Companion give any clues. We just know that Lone Wolf's master was Storm Hawk (from gamebook 18).

3. I think only Sommlending can be Kai lords. There are several passages that seem to confirm this. For instance, from the Magnamund Companion: "...[speaking about some of the Sommlending who arrived from the Northern void]... Greater powers of mind and body , and combat skills far beyond the reach of other men were attainable to these special few. These remarkable warriors became known as the Kai Lords of Sommerlund".
In addition, every Kai Lord whose place of origin is known, is Sommlending: Sun Eagle is from Toran, Lone Wolf is from Dage, The Grand Master of the Second Order is from the Southlund Marches.

4. No, Lone Wolf is the discoverer of the Grand Master disciplines. This is clearly stated in "The Story so Far..." section of many gamebooks.

Hope that helps.
Nyxator

Hey, I always wondered about that too; great questions wayward-sage.
Thanks for the educated answers, Reginald and Nyxator. Welcome to the boards to both of you !

Back