Question regarding Cybernetics and Characteristics Increase

vatermelwa

Mongoose
Hi there,

I intend to add some Biotech to my mercenary in order to increase her STR and DEX.
However, I haven't found any info on whether you need two advanced TL11 arms (pg. 41 of the Cybernetics book) to increase your strength by +1 or if one advanced arm is enough. Same with the advanced hand (pg. 45): If my mercenary gets two advanced hands (TL11), is her DEX increased by +1 or +2? I think one augmentation is enough to qualify for this, but maybe I missed some information in the book?

I'd roll play it in a common sense manner and not use it as an across the board characteristic enhancement.

Gaining two arm augments would not alter ones running or jumping ability.

Doing something with the one arm like arm wrestling or swinging a one handed weapon? Get the +. Trying to dead lift something, like lift wreckage off a trapped person? The characters legs, back, and so on are not enhanced.

In some cases you could do something like allow the + but a task effect below a certain amount could possibly result in injury from straining some other part of the body.

Doing a quick pass on the book, I'd say you have the enhancement in that replaced limb only. If you only replace one arm it has the enhancement. Your other arm can not add more than some balance and support let alone manipulation or a faster punch. If Steve Ford, the Six Million Credit Man lifts a heavy barbell, his organic limb would be struggling. A single leg can brace and lift greater weight but don't try balancing a heavier load on both legs. Two arms and/or two legs balance each other but don't add together.

Why would you only have one limb? You only lost one limb otherwise you will make a reason to replace good limbs if only to balance the enhancements.

Oh, by the way, the Steve Ford example should be TL 11 rather than TL 10.

vatermelwa said:
Hi there,

I intend to add some Biotech to my mercenary in order to increase her STR and DEX.
However, I haven't found any info on whether you need two advanced TL11 arms (pg. 41 of the Cybernetics book) to increase your strength by +1 or if one advanced arm is enough. Same with the advanced hand (pg. 45): If my mercenary gets two advanced hands (TL11), is her DEX increased by +1 or +2? I think one augmentation is enough to qualify for this, but maybe I missed some information in the book?

I would give them the +1 for one limb, but not the +2 for both. At some point, there will need to be an entire upgraded structure, such as the spine, to support the increase. If they have the credits though, yes.

Characteristic is increased just for the limb that has the implant/augment. If only that limb is needed to operate a device, the increase is added. A two-handed device would need two limbs augmented for the increase.

The full body augmentation (Cybernetics page 53) allows a maximum increase of +3, and that replaces all limbs. That at least implies that you can't stack the bonus from multiple limbs.

Jeraa said:
The full body augmentation (Cybernetics page 53) allows a maximum increase of +3, and that replaces all limbs. That at least implies that you can't stack the bonus from multiple limbs.
Just like with normal non-augmented limbs, no stacking of "-" or "+" charmods. Funny how no one ever asks about the stacking of "-" increases. Only the "+" ones.

Depends on how 'abstractly' you interpret characteristics.

If you are being very logical a cybernetic limb cant really do a great deal to actually increase overall lifting, or even striking power. These actually rely on overall physique (the comments about single handed weapons benefiting are flawed as the force of a blow is not purely from an arm but rather comes from the legs, through hips, shoulder and even back....)

However, if you view stats in a more creative way you could argue that the powerful grip, the, ability to reduce pain/discomfort feedback, stamina(?) and perhaps enhanced anchoring onto shoulder and torso musculature does in fact increase strength in a practical manner. In which case two arms may well allow a cumulative bonus?

For me, I think I will stick to one arm get bonus, two arms get single bonus, they don't stack. This might defy some of the logic given here, but it makes more sense to me. You want more bonuses, go higher TL and/or pay more and/or get body upgrade.

Back