Question for the designers on 2300AD-Fission core lifetimes

Sigtrygg said:
That said, there are quite a few esoteric fusion mechanisms that are know to science but even more of an engineering challenge.

The one sci fi breakthrough of 2300 is a much greater understanding of "quantum tunneling" (don't get me started on how the underlying science assumptions of the original authors were completely wrong and that even the current handwave is totally disconnected from anything but pop science quantum woo).

But let's assume that the same tech that allows us to move entire objects also allows us to move atoms around - fusion reactions already require quantum tunneling to explain the observed rates of fusion in stars, so if by 2300 they have a much greater understanding perhaps fusion+ makes more sense in 2300 than it does in Traveller.

It may make more sense, but We have to play with the rules we've got, plus whatever house rules the individual Referees use. :)

I think in an urban, and also in a suburban, area, regulation may require fission or fusion reactors to be somewhat centralized and monitored.

Colin said:
Given their very compact nature, it felt right to have a limited lifespan on the usable fuel loaded into a starship fission plant. It could easily be stretched to 10 years, or even 20. Keeping it at 5 years means that it is something Travellers would likely have to deal with in the course of the game that could provide a stress/conflict point.

It's partly a balance rule, but more a limitation on the small, compact (relatively-speaking) fission reactors carried on starships. Aside from their crew requirements, they are the most effective power plants in the game.

Colin,
I'm sorry: I totally missed that you answered me! Thanks for taking the time. I'm tracking with you're doing now.

Back