[Question] Across Thunder River & The Free Companies

I and others probably do but I reckon that we'd violate our NDC if we reveal anything other than what's on the website . . .

IOW, we could tell you but then we'd have to kill you. (Don't blame me! The Mighty Mongoose demands blood!!)

ACROSS THUNDER RIVER is a guide to the Westermarck and life along the Thunder River. It's also a guide to Picts and Pictland, with guidelines for creating Hyborians or Picts. There is new magic, new prestige classes, feats, lots of NPC writeups, and a gazeteer of the area. Plus more stuff.

THE FREE COMPANIES describes military culture in the Hyborian Age, with mass combat rules, detailed descriptions of all of the armies of the different countries, and descriptions of military societies and organizations. Lots of NPC stats.

There's a lot more to either book, but I really can't say more other than the obvious (NDA and all). Most of this information could be gleaned from other sources, such as previous postings on this very message board.

It would be very cool if the talented Misters Darlage and Kalvar could pipe up and speak more on these fine sourcebooks.

I have eagerly been awaiting the supplement Across Thunder River and was kind of shocked by the price. Forty dollars for an adventure? This better be EPIC in scope along the likes of Empire in Flames or I don't see the value. We have enough "flavor text/adventure hook" supplements - I am looking for a completely self-contained adventure fully described. I don't want 1/2 the book to be about Pictland and their different tribes. If that were the case I would rather pay $24.00 for the adventure and $24.00 (if I wanted) for the stuff inexplicably left out of ROK! I have bought everything put out for Conan RPG and Vincent has proven his Conan knowledge, but what's up with the price and is the entire supplement an adventure?

Jason Durall said:
ACROSS THUNDER RIVER is a guide to the Westermarck and life along the Thunder River. It's also a guide to Picts and Pictland, with guidelines for creating Hyborians or Picts. There is new magic, new prestige classes, feats, lots of NPC writeups, and a gazeteer of the area. Plus more stuff.

It would be very cool if the talented Misters Darlage and Kalvar could pipe up and speak more on these fine sourcebooks.

You've pretty much covered it. It has adventure hooks and an adventure as well, but it is mostly as you describe.

Jason Durall said:

THE FREE COMPANIES describes military culture in the Hyborian Age, with mass combat rules, detailed descriptions of all of the armies of the different countries, and descriptions of military societies and organizations. Lots of NPC stats.

There's a lot more to either book, but I really can't say more other than the obvious (NDA and all). Most of this information could be gleaned from other sources, such as previous postings on this very message board.

Thx for the info...sounds intresting. 8)

greetzz
Bodde

Thank you Vincent and Jason for the information - it was very helpful.

Out of the 200 pages - how many pages is the adventure? For what levels is it? Would you categorize it as an adventure or a campaign?

Thanks in advance!

Just thought I would drop by. Jason did a fine job recapping the contents of both books...

I will drop the following hint though:

If you've read my other posts, specifically those regarding game design and the Gaming Symposium, none of the content in Free Companies will come as a suprise. Pirate Isles telegraphs the main punch, though you'll have to keep your eyes open to catch it.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Trying to work out why his 2 mile move involved a trip to Wyoming for his computer.

Back