Question about Quintessential/4E

GSL aside (and hope springs eternal), the only real personal gripe I have with 4E is the MMO-ised character classes and the abstract/video game nature of some of the powers (I calculated that one of the rogue powers theoretically let you fire a crossbow 40 times in 6 seconds, albeit based on the assumption that you are surrounding by a wall of foes....but it still annoys me, grognard that I am; there are others too...Warlord I'm looking at you).

Are you taking the Quintessential line in a different direction, e.g. more 3.5 simulationist, some mixture of both or are you deliberately aligning yourself with the 4E style?

Personally what I'm looking for is almost for someone to bring out replacement core classes.

We've got our own non-software related 4E product line coming out shortly which will force me into some 4E play and well...it got me a wonderin'

Hey ho, back to reading the Pathfinder RPG Beta.

Hi Anurien, and thanks for the interesting question.
My name's Lòrien, and I'm one of the Italian developer of the Quintessential series.
Although few people would deny that realism is not one of the fundamental of the Fourth Edition (still speakin about the Rogue, there are powers who let you move huge dragons with a tiny stone, I believe this is one of the most absurd power!), in our handbooks we want to keep intact lots of essential features of this edition, such as dynamism and ease, but also we are not willing to forget the consistency of former editions, that's why we try to fit it to the intuitive power scheme in a painless way.
You will surely find spectacular and praiseworthy powers, but this doesn't make them any less unfonded from the "realism" point of view.
If you think about past editions, you'll surely remember some aspects more than absurd: adventurers who can swim upriver a waterfall, others who are able to fall from miles in the sky and land without a scratch; there was even a power (from the Arcane Archer, if memory is not betraying me) who lets the player hit an immense number of enemies, exactly like the rogue 4E power you are considering in your post.
DnD is obviously not the closest thing to reality available in RpG settings, nonetheless to let heroism and epic fantasy subdue the banality of all the Fourth Edition tables remains one of our main objectives.

If you have some more question, feel free to ask. :wink:

Thanks for your response Lorien

I take your point about previous editions for sure. Although I think this is a fair point (I've thought it myself), 4E does take a step beyond this in many places and has a more CCG/Video Game feel on paper IMHO than could be felt in even the most extravagant of 3E powers. I refer to it in the office as DnD 'The Gathering' :p

The high production values of 4E materials and improvement elsewhere are attractive but at the moment nowhere near as attractive as Pathfinder.

I look forward to seeing these books, I'll be picking up copies for sure. Perhaps they can fix 4E for me.

Any chance of you posting a 2 page PDF preview in the near future?

The Quintessential Wizard is almost complete now, and I'm sure we'll be posting a preview of the manual shortly.

Back