Question about OGL Ancients...

I am noticing more and more posts about OGL Ancients and less about OGL Cybernet and OGL Horror is this because it is the newest book and is still fresh or does everybody want supplements that bad for it over the others??? Just doing research!

kiln publications said:
I am noticing more and more posts about OGL Ancients and less about OGL Cybernet and OGL Horror is this because it is the newest book and is still fresh or does everybody want supplements that bad for it over the others??? Just doing research!

Personally, I have zero interest in running horror or cyberpunk games (or in buying source material for them), and boundless interest for any ancient-world or historical settings.

This is reflected in my purchasing habits, if that helps.

kiln publications said:

I think it may be due simply to a lull in people posting on Cybernet and Horror for whatever reason. Cybernet in particular seems to have generated the most interest on these boards.

I would love supplements for Ancients. I like Cybernet better though, your 2087 line would interest me much more.

I still have intrest in Horror and Cybernet, though currently I am working on creating a mixed campaign of Steampunk, Wild West and Mutants and Masterminds. I am also currently working on getting an Ancients campaign put together.

I don't like cyberpunk style games and I'd rather use Call of Cthulhu or Ravenloft if I want to run a horror campaign. As far as I know OGL Ancients is the only d20 setting based on ancient earth, and I'm crazy about ancient earth mythology, so I wouldn't complain if a bunch of OGL Ancients books came out. Heck, I wouldn't mind it if Kiln stopped working on all their other projects all together if it meant they could get a bunch of OGL Ancients books out in rapid succession :mrgreen:

shadowdragon said:
Heck, I wouldn't mind it if Kiln stopped working on all their other projects all together if it meant they could get a bunch of OGL Ancients books out in rapid succession :mrgreen:

LOL! Well... like I said over at the Kiln Pub Forums...

http://forum.donpedicinijr.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20

I'll write up and submit a proposal and outline to Don sometime within the next week regarding a OGL Ancients - Celtic Myths supplement. Hopefully I can start banging that together when CyberNet: 2087 goes to the printers (of course, I've got OGL Horror: Urban Encounters & Other Strangeness to finish up as well!)! Plus some new tunes! :)

- Stratos

A book on Sumeria sounds great. Ancient China wouldn't be bad either. Each with creatures specific to those mythologies, and in-depth gazeteers. Someone mentioned the Norse of the other boards, Kiln said Celtic. Don't those people kind of fall out of the "Ancients" catagory? More like the dark/middle ages.

And does this mean that all plans for Cybernet 2087 are on hold? I hope not.

Lowly Uhlan said:
A book on Sumeria sounds great. Ancient China wouldn't be bad either. Each with creatures specific to those mythologies, and in-depth gazeteers. Someone mentioned the Norse of the other boards, Kiln said Celtic. Don't those people kind of fall out of the "Ancients" catagory? More like the dark/middle ages.

And does this mean that all plans for Cybernet 2087 are on hold? I hope not.

Point #1... Celtic mythology lies around 1000 - 300 BC... which is about 2000 years later than the current OGL Ancients Core rulebook... but it's a long time before the Dark Ages which were 600AD and later. In Greek culture of the ancient ages, the Celts were the barbarians of the world. In about 300 BC, the Celts actually sacked Rome! So... it's definitely within the "Ancients" realm of game play. Medieval or Middle Ages were about 500 - 1450 AD... and this is the Era I'd classify LOTR and D&D within.

Point #2... CyberNet: 2087 is scheduled for release in November 2004. We're on target with writing this campaign supplement and it's follow-up - the 2087 Mechana Manual. We're also busy working on a downloadable OGL Horror supplement for Halloween `04 and CHOMP! for April `05. OGL Ancients will be worked on simultaneously as the others... and will be released some time early to mid-2005 (before Origins, hopefully).

Point #3... keep giving us good ideas is a great way t see ideas flourish into books and supplements!

If I do Celtic mythology of OGL Ancients... would you guys want it to go from ancient history thru Arthurian history & lore or cut it off around 100 AD and forget all the British / Middle Ages influence?!

I'm thinking I COULD tackle one large 150+ page book from earliest lore thru Arthur. Otherwise it'd be about 100 pages.

LMK!

- Stratos

OGL Ancients covers between 2000BC to about 500BC, maybe a bit later, I think. Anything later wouldn't really be usable in an Ancients campaign. Besides, middle ages/arthurian stuff is already covered in the may standard fantasy games and settings out there. I wouldn't mind hearing what others think, but personally I think OGL Ancients accessory books should stick to Ancients stuff.

The problem with Celtic stuff, at least from what I heard from the ENworld furoms, is that there isn't much info on "true" ancient Celtic mythology. It all comes from Irish, Scottish, British mythology and was created much later, I think durring the middle ages.

shadowdragon said:
OGL Ancients covers between 2000BC to about 500BC, maybe a bit later, I think. Anything later wouldn't really be usable in an Ancients campaign. Besides, middle ages/arthurian stuff is already covered in the may standard fantasy games and settings out there. I wouldn't mind hearing what others think, but personally I think OGL Ancients accessory books should stick to Ancients stuff.

Not a problem here. I'll leave the premise open for now until I actually start the outline and submit it for approval. Other opinions are still welcome...

shadowdragon said:
The problem with Celtic stuff, at least from what I heard from the ENworld furoms, is that there isn't much info on "true" ancient Celtic mythology. It all comes from Irish, Scottish, British mythology and was created much later, I think durring the middle ages.

Granted, there is some truth to this, from a certain point of view, but most beliefs, mythos, lore, etc. were passed on as oral tradition and not written down until much later in life. This is no different in Celtic mythology as it is in Judaism, Christianity or Chinese mythos.

Also, true Celtic traditions span all pre-historic British (Irish, Scots, Welsh, etc) origins as well as Germanic, Indian, and the sort... thru the Roman Empire. It's all intertwined. Everything is. It's our culture. It's our heritage.

As for "true" mythology... I realize you mean "specifically Celtic" and not "True & False"... but I'll tell you that from my understanding and studies, even the term Celtic itself is of later origin than the people it represents. Sort of like using the terms "Indians" or "Native Americans"... whichever is more politically correct or exact... in truth, neither are accurate because the land they were indigenous to when discovered was neither than named after India or Amerigo Despuchi... nor were they actually from the land originally... they could be refered to as "Mongols" if in fact there was a land bridge and that is how people got to North America.

Anyhow... Celtic mythology does begin and fit snuggly within the parameters of 2000 - 500 BC. The fact that it doesn't go earlier in time is irrelevant to actual game play unless a group of players is attempting to travel the entire known world. In which case, the GM can make appropriate adjustments where necessary. Also the fact that Celtic mythology penetrates into the Middle Ages can be exempt to the sourcebook as well because it's not needed in the context of OGL Ancients. Therefore, the influences of the Anglos will be minimal and it'll be a truer barbarian, purer Celtic mythos... and less influenced by outsider traditions. The only real influences will lie with Rome... which is already part of Ancients and will further tie the two together.

Cool?!

Besides... didn't you, ShadowDragon, post a desire to see a Celtic supplement?! I thought I was helping you out here! :)

- Stratos

baileyrecords said:
Besides... didn't you, ShadowDragon, post a desire to see a Celtic supplement?! I thought I was helping you out here! :)

I was just pointing out that it might be difficult to make a Celtic sourcebook historically accurate. However, it seems like you've already got a handle on it, and it sounds very interesting. I can't wait to see the final product.

baileyrecords said:
If I do Celtic mythology of OGL Ancients... would you guys want it to go from ancient history thru Arthurian history & lore or cut it off around 100 AD and forget all the British / Middle Ages influence?!

I'm thinking I COULD tackle one large 150+ page book from earliest lore thru Arthur. Otherwise it'd be about 100 pages.

LMK!

- Stratos

I would say cut it off around 100 AD. There's plenty out there dealing with Arthurian lore already.

Yeah there is. Currently there's a book out by Sword and Sorcery (I think) about the Arthur legend and RPGObjects has a .pdf about the same thing as well.

RPGObjects's Arthur book is also out in hardback. It's a more serious take on the legend, while the S&S one is more D&D meets King Arthur.

Anyway, as to the amount of discussion, I think it's mostly that OGL Ancient came out the most recent.

Still, to a certain extent, both OGL Horror and OGL Cyberpunk are very close to d20 Modern. Which has also been out for ages.

Actually, I hope you at least try to market your OGL Horror stuff also to d20 Modern players.

trancejeremy said:
Actually, I hope you at least try to market your OGL Horror stuff also to d20 Modern players.

Well... now that Mongoose has released an OGL Handbook on Modern d20... that shouldn't be a much of a problem... I think.

Then again, I'm an author... and Don (Kiln) is the stats guy!

- Stratos

Back