Question about Fate Points and NPC's

I don't know what the book says, if it says anything. Me, I'm so used to the usual 'don't give Brownie points to mooks but give some to Big Bads' pratice that I assumed it was also the case in Conan.

IIRC the rules are fuzzy on this - so I houseruled it. Only a select few of my BBEG's have fate points. Even then, I'm stealing from d20 Modern's action point system and giving them fate points = level/2. In most cases though, my NPC's never have fate points - combat is deadly enough without NPC's being able to spend a point to do max damage, they won't spend a point to be able to get out of a situation, and they're not important enough characters to be "left for dead." (unlike some of the bigger villians in my campaign). :wink:

When I GM, I assume that NPC do NOT have fate points. They basically don't need them -- as GM I can always choose to adjust fate as I see fit to give the players a good adventure.

Having to track points is just unnecessary bookkeeping IMO.

Though I'm not currently running a game, I'd probably do what was done for the old James Bond 007 RPG. Where the PCs have Hero Points (or Fate Points in this case), the major NPCs have Villain Points – an inferior form of what the PCs get, only usable for self-preservation.

In short, give your villains Fate Points, but only let them be used in Left For Dead (and possibly Destiny) cases.

InsomNY said:
In short, give your villains Fate Points, but only let them be used in Left For Dead (and possibly Destiny) cases.

Exactly. I use Fate Points for my bad guys in the same was as for heroes but to be left for dead it has to be some really special circumstances... like a re-occuring vilain that you plan to base a campaign-plot around later on, but the PC's steped into him/her now... and you just have to make her live through the encounter...

Other uses I include is the critical hit option, the fumble option and a coule of others. I use them for npc's as much as for pc's.

/Wolf

I am wondering how left for dead for major villains will work. The way most players metagame, I am already dreading the wholesale mutilation of the corpses of major NPCs.

GM: "With a shuddering gasp, the sorcerer slumps to the ground."
Players, all talking at once: "I cut his head off!" "I set fire to the corpse!" "I remove the arms and legs!"

I have already decided that for many major villains, I will try to find ways to let the body escape... just in case I want to bring them back. Falling off a cliff, or into a river, or a tunnel collapses, or... or I may just use Villain Fate Points to help them escape in some plausible way.

Yuan-Ti said:
I am wondering how left for dead for major villains will work. The way most players metagame, I am already dreading the wholesale mutilation of the corpses of major NPCs.

I have my answer ready. Tell players : 'I don't wanna hear any whining when NPCs start doing THAT to you' . You won't have to repeat yourself IMO.

Yes, except, aside from an occasional TPK, the PCs will not usually find themselves Left for Dead in a situation when the NPCs will have the opportunity to hack them to pieces and feed them to their pet Ghost Snake. On the other hand, it is much more likely to occur that the PCs will defeat a major NPC and find themselves temporarily alone with the body.

But don't worry, I will remind them that NPCs can do the same. :)
Still, I prefer not to solve metagaming issues by metagaming. And I can already hear my player with the Cimmerian -- "But I am a barbarian, I always mutilate my enemies!" :roll:

Hyena said:
Yuan-Ti said:

I have my answer ready. Tell players : 'I don't wanna hear any whining when NPCs start doing THAT to you' . You won't have to repeat yourself IMO.

LOL! That would certainly do it IMC. :lol:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back