Pulp Edges as Heroic Abilities or Common Magic?

p_Clapham

Mongoose
I've been playing around with some rules ideas for using Legend to run more modern pulp style games. As part of that I have been creating/ adapting new Heroic Abilities for the genre. The thing is, I'd like the starting characters to have some of these abilities at the beginning of the game. Now I am wondering if I should create a "Common Magic" list of abilities that players can pick up right away. Several of the Common Magic spells could already work as extraordinary abilities vs spells.

Thing is, I don't like the idea of there being a "Heroic Edge" skill that the players would have to roll, in order to make each ability work. I'm thinking the "spells" that require a opposed roll such as Demoralize will use the character's Influence vs the target' Persistence. Unopposed "spells" wouldn't require a roll, they just work.

I used the Folk Magic rules from RQ6 to come up with the following abilities. They are all designed to be a magnitude 1 spell roughly.

Fists of Steel
Unarmed: 50%
Self

This edge increases the damage of a hero's unarmed damage by one step. A character dealing 1D3 in unarmed combat will deal 1D4 instead. This edge hardens the character's hands somewhat, while under the influence of this edge they might find themselves denting doors when they knock on them.

Eyes of the Cat
Perception: 50%
Self

This edge increases the character's sensitivity to light, allowing them to see more clearly in dimly lit areas. For the duration of the edge the character gains night sight. If the character is suddenly subject to a strong light source such as a well lit room, or the highbeams of a car, they will count as if they were fighting in darkness (-40% close combat situational modifier) for 1D4+1 rounds.

Spring Heeled
Athletics: 50%
Self

With this edge the character's legs are like coiled steel springs. He is able to make great leaps with ease. For the duration of this edge the character may jump triple his height horizontally, and double his height vertically.

Vanishing Trick
Stealth: 50%
Self, Instant

The character is exceptionally stealthy, able to vanish in a heartbeat. While using this edge the character may make a Stealth check at no penalty even if he is being observed.

Skin of Bronze
Endurance: 50%
Self

The character is capable is enduring incredible punishment. Their hardened skin turning aside fists, blades and bullets. While using this edge the character has a armor value of one added to all of his hit locations.

Connected
Streetwise: 50%
Self, One Extended Action

The character is a master of urban survival with this Edge. The time needed to find something is reduced from 1D4 hours to 1D2 hours. On a critical the character finds what he needs within a half hour.

Backstabber
Stealth 50%
Self, Instant

The character is a master of underhanded and sneaky tactics. When attacking with surprise the character increases the damage die of the weapon by one increment. So a dagger from behind will deal 1D6+1 damage rather than 1D4+1 damage.

Distract
Deceit or Influence 50%
Ranged, Resist (Willpower)

The character uses charm or lies to fluster his intended target. A distracted target counts as being surprised for the next attack made upon them.

A friend of a friend
Influence 50%
Self, One Extended Action

The character's charm has won him friends in both low and high places. As a extended action the character may use his Influence skill to make a Streetwise skill roll. The time needed to find something is 1D6 hours. On a critical the character finds what he needs within 1D3 hours.

Photographic Memory
Self, Instant
Perception 50%

The character is capable of astonishing feats of mental recall. If the game master ever requires you to make a skill roll in order to remember a crucial fact you make invoke this edge and roll twice. Minor details require no roll at all, your character is assumed to have made the roll automatically.

Human Spider
Self
Athletics

Sheer walls mean nothing to the hero with this edge. His movement rate while ascending or descending is half of his normal movement rate. If the hero wishes to double his movement rate while climbing, he suffers a -10% penalty to his Athletics skill check rather than a -20% penalty.

I'm considering having a second level to these edges available when the character reaches 100% in the relevant skill. Some of them will be pretty easy. Fists of Steel would just increase the Damage Die another increment, Eyes of the Cat would grant Dark Sight, and Skin of Bronze would give a character a natural armor value of 2 in all locations.

I would have thought that the mysticism rules from RQ6 would be a perfect fit for this sort of this - pulp fiction is full of heroes and villains with vaguely mystical powers picked up in Tibet or locations exotic to the readers of the time. Also, take a look at the Astounding Adventures book from Chaosium for Basic Roleplaying - it provides information about running pulp-era games using the Basic Roleplaying system.

Here are a few more.

Iron Might
Brawn 50%
Self, Instant

The character's iron hard muscles are capable of incredible feats of strength. The Hero adds his POW to his STR attribute but only for the purposes of lifting, breaking, and contests of strength.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% in their Brawn skill. He now adds twice his POW to his STR attribute but only for the purposes of lifting, breaking, and contests of strength. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Fleet of Foot
Athletics 50%
Self

The character is extraordinarily light and quick on their feet. Easily outracing their friends and enemies. The Hero's movement rate is increased from eight meters to twelve meters.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% in their Athletics Skill. The Hero's movement rate is increased from twelve meters to sixteen meters.

Two Gun Joe
A Combat Style incorporating Sidearms 50%
Self

The character is proficient in using a sidearm in either hand, and can use two of them with deadly effect. While wielding two sidearms the character gains a additional Combat Action.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in a Combat Style that incorporates sidearms. While wielding two sidearms the character gains two additional Combat Actions.

Brawler
Unarmed 50%
Self

The character is a master of unarmed fighting, able to attack and defend with ease. In melee combat the character may use their Unarmed skill to defend.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Unarmed Skill. While using their Unarmed Skill in melee combat the character gains one additional Combat Action.

Man of Many Faces
Disguise 50%
Self

The character is a master of disguise, able to change from one persona to another with but a moments notice. The character is able to make quick changes to their appearance, making themselves bland and unrecognizable. It does not affect their voice, mannerisms or physical size/ presence of the hero, but ensures they do not stand out from the crowd. He is actively ignored by anyone searching for him; he is simply overlooked and discounted.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Disguise Skill. The character is now able to make quick changes to the appearance allowing them to disguise themselves as a specific person.

Wallflower
Stealth 50%
Self, Instant

The character is a master at staying hidden in plain sight. When using this edge the character adds his POW score to his Stealth Skill rolls.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Stealth Skill. The character now adds twice his POW score to his Stealth Skill rolls.

Danger Sense
Perception 50%
Self

The character is preternaturally aware of danger, allowing him to act before others can. The character's Strike rank is equal to half of their POW + DEX + INT divided by two.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Perception Skill. The character's Strike rank is equal to their POW + DEX + INT divided by two.

I'll have a look at the Mysticism rules again. Astounding Adventures was a bit of a letdown for me. The collection of NPC stats and Mook rules were nice, but it didn't have enough minor powers or perks for the characters. These edge rules I've come up with are kind of what I hoped Astounding Adventures would have been.

Prime_Evil said:
I would have thought that the mysticism rules from RQ6 would be a perfect fit for this sort of this - pulp fiction is full of heroes and villains with vaguely mystical powers picked up in Tibet or locations exotic to the readers of the time. Also, take a look at the Astounding Adventures book from Chaosium for Basic Roleplaying - it provides information about running pulp-era games using the Basic Roleplaying system.

I have a pretty substantial collection of edges now, so they have all been collected into one file for your downloading pleasure.

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=558

Here is a new one, not sure about the power level, I kind of like it. I'm torn between making the activation of the edge be a combat action or a free action.

Indomitable Will
Persistence 50%
Self. Instant

The character is a bastion of willpower and self determination, able to persevere by sheer force of will. Before rolling the character may as a free action activate this edge. He adds his POW as a bonus to his next skill roll.

This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in his Persistence Skill. He now adds twice his POW to any skill roll when activating this edge.

Here are a few more edges I've come up with. By the end of the summer I'll post a updated version of list. Hopefully I'll have some gadgeteering edges on there too.

Nerve Strike
Unarmed 50%
Instant, Resist (resilience), Touch

The character's mastery of unarmed combat is to the point where he can strike at his opponent's pressure points, disabling or killing in one blow. When the character successfully strikes a unarmored hit location he may activate this edge. The target must make a Resilience skill roll vs the character's Unarmed skill. If the target fails the location struck is paralyzed for the duration of the scene. A limb stops working; the abdomen causes both legs to collapse, and the head or chest results in unconsciousness.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character's unarmed skill reaches 100% or more. He can now choose to make the blow lethal instead. The target must resist or the struck hit location takes enough damage to cause a Major Wound. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Tough Guy
Resilience 50%
Self, Permanent

The character is able to endure punishment that would cripple a lesser man. When active the character adds one hit point to all hit locations.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Resilience skill. The character now adds two hit points to all hit locations. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Double or Nothing
Gambling 50%
Self, Instant

Fate is a fickle mistress, but she appears to favor the character, most of the time anyways. When this edge is activated the character makes a Gambling roll, if it is successful the next skill check he makes is moved up one success category. So a failure would become a success, and a success a critical success. If the character fails his Gambling roll then the next important skill roll is automatically considered a failure. If he fumbles his Gambling gambling roll then his next important skill roll is automatically considered a fumble.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Gambling skill. If he fumbles his gambling roll it is now considered a failure instead. This upgrade costs five advancement points

Have you ever looked at Legendary Abilities for MRQ1?

What you have is very reminiscent of that mechanic system (i.e. extra abilities and skill tweaks available once a certain percentage or ability level has been reached, paid for by improvement rolls).

It's probably worth a check as what's in there might have already covered the areas you're looking at.

The edges are intended as a kind of Legendary Ability you can get at character creation. I tried to make the edges as sort of a hybrid of the Legendary Abilities and Common Magic/ Folk Magic.

Lord High Munchkin said:
Have you ever looked at Legendary Abilities for MRQ1?

What you have is very reminiscent of that mechanic system (i.e. extra abilities and skill tweaks available once a certain percentage or ability level has been reached, paid for by improvement rolls).

It's probably worth a check as what's in there might have already covered the areas you're looking at.

I think those edges are a great mechanic for pulp games! They provide that "heroic adventure" feel that a pulp style game represents. Plus a character has to purchase them and they're not simply all available to everyone all the time.

Thank you! They were an idea I had a few years back. I wanted to make the Call of Cthulhu rules a little more pulpy. So I started adding stuff from MRQ1 like the Combat Actions, and Hero Points. I also wanted the starting characters to have access to one or more Legendary/ Heroic Abilities. The project was put on hold for a few years until Legend came out, and I did the list of Pulp Professions for it. So I dusted off my old project and started converting Heroic Abilities, Common Magic/ Folk Magic, and came up with a few of my own. Once my Mad Science rules are fully fleshed out I intend to include some Edges for that as well.

Here are a couple of edges for the Drive skill.

“Defensive” Driver
Drive 50%
Ranged, Resist (Drive)

This character is a terror on the road, tailgating, cutting off other drivers, and causing minor accidents around them. When this edge is activated make a Drive roll opposing the target's Drive skill. If you beat them apply a penalty to their drive skill equal to 10% of the opposing character's drive skill.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Drive skill. Now if the character beats his target in the Drive roll he applies a penalty to their Drive skill equal to 20% of his Drive skill. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Born to the Wheel
Drive 50%
Self

The character's prowess behind the wheel is nothing short of amazing. They are able to pull off daredevil maneuvers with ease. When this edge is activated the character ignores up to a -20% penalty to their Drive skill. So if a dark and rainy night applied a -20% penalty the character would roll their Drive skill with no penalty. This also applies to handling penalties.
This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their Drive skill. While this edge is active they can ignore up to -40% in penalties to their Drive skill. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Back