Published scenarios: synopsis and location

harunmushod

Banded Mongoose
I am finding two aspects of most published OTU Traveller adventures frustrating.

1. Most don’t have synopsis for the referee setting out what the adventure is about and what might happen in the course of running it. You have to read the whole thing to determine if you might be interested in running it.

2. Most have specific settings and little information about the conditions that need to be present if the location is changed, without having to first read through the whole scenario.

Is there any reason why all published Traveller scenarios can’t include:

1. a simply written referee’s synopsis, with no dramatic or novelistic flourishes, just a clear explanation of what this adventure is about, including twists and other spoilers;

2. A section setting out either the conditions that must be present if the scenario is relocated, or, even better, a list of worlds where an adventure might be set without having to make anything other than cosmetic changes to the scenario. Or, if it is not possible to relocate an adventure, to explicitly say so and explain why. Travellermap.com has an excellent database search function that lets you specify any aspect of a UWP and related information for any planet in the OTU and it returns a list of systems that meet those criteria?

Surely, if those two things were clearly explained then sales and usage of such scenarios might increase, particularly if the setting options (number 2 above) are set out in the marketing blurb that can be read before you buy.

Happy to debate this. Also keen to know if there are any examples of published adventures that meet those criteria.

(First posted in:

• Traveller RPG facebook group. Read the comments in this link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/travellerrpg/permalink/4694522900665848/

• and; The OTU part of the Citizens of the Imperium forum . Read the comments in this link: https://www.travellerrpg.com/index.php?threads/published-otu-scenarios-synopsis-and-location.42614/ )

You can always use a secondary world, instead of a main world if you can't find one nearby that you want.

For example, I moved Flatlined to a secondary planet. The mainworld is a frozen but habitable one on the outer edge of the habitable zone (La Belle), So I put Neon on the inner side of the habitable zone. Also changed the companies.
While not following the MT2 timeline, they are going to be going up against the Merchant Princes of Skull, who at some point buy the colony on La Belle.

Most other scenarios can take a similar path. See if there are reviews on You Tube for other scenarios you are looking for. I bought Flatlined halfway through watching Seth Skorkowsky's review of it.

Arkathan said:
You can always use a secondary world, instead of a main world if you can't find one nearby that you want.

For example, I moved Flatlined to a secondary planet. The mainworld is a frozen but habitable one on the outer edge of the habitable zone (La Belle), So I put Neon on the inner side of the habitable zone. Also changed the companies.
While not following the MT2 timeline, they are going to be going up against the Merchant Princes of Skull, who at some point buy the colony on La Belle.

Most other scenarios can take a similar path. See if there are reviews on You Tube for other scenarios you are looking for. I bought Flatlined halfway through watching Seth Skorkowsky's review of it.

That’s a good idea. I have certainly relocated another adventure to a secondary world but on that occasion it was already set on a secondary world (I forget which one). Am planning to open Pirates of Drinax with Marooned on Marduk but then set a heavily revised version of High and Dry on the same planet, the idea being that the ship King Oleb gives the Travellers is broken down Fast Trader (following Andy Slack’s advice not to to start them with the Harrier) they have to collect from Marduk.

you might find this useful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1oyw6rjl690wpod/trojan_reach_adventures_hirez.png?dl=0

adzling said:
you might find this useful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1oyw6rjl690wpod/trojan_reach_adventures_hirez.png?dl=0

Thanks that’s great. Will post my allocation of published scenarios that I’ve allocated or relocated, that could be tackled by pirates in the Trojan Reach, just as soon as it’s not a series of pdf notes on the Trojan Reach atlas.

Back