Progress of the project ?

A

Anonymous

Hiya! Why not posting some information about the progress of making Conan RPG ? Not that we all know when the game is about to be released, but it would still be nice to know where you guys are going..... :?:

Areus said:
Hiya! Why not posting some information about the progress of making Conan RPG ? Not that we all know when the game is about to be released, but it would still be nice to know where you guys are going..... :?:

Buy Signs & Portents - Conan is in every month.

At present the core rules are written, and are in the final stages of development and playtesting. So far as I know we're still on course for an early 2004 release, though no precise date has been announced as yet.

Ian Sturrock said:
At present the core rules are written, and are in the final stages of development and playtesting. So far as I know we're still on course for an early 2004 release, though no precise date has been announced as yet.

I'm really interested in any details you could provide regarding a magic system...

Anonymous said:
Ian Sturrock said:

I'm really interested in any details you could provide regarding a magic system...

That was me asking :)

Anonymous said:
Ian Sturrock said:

There's a lot covering the magic system in Signs and Portents #3 next month (and a lot about the consequences of magic in S&P #4 the month after), so it would be unfair of me to provide too many details here! I'd be taking the food from Old Bear's plate! Shooting meself in the foot! Cutting me own throat, gavna!

Suffice it to say that it will be flexible, powerful in certain limited circumstances, exhausting to cast when it is powerful, and best fuelled by plenty of black lotus powder and human sacrifice. You won't be able to cast a fireball, though there are some alchemical goodies that let you do something similar. You will be able to slay a whole city or destroy a whole army, though, with a bit of preparation and a willingness to pay the price!

Ian Sturrock said:
Anonymous said:
Ian Sturrock said:

There's a lot covering the magic system in Signs and Portents #3 next month (and a lot about the consequences of magic in S&P #4 the month after), so it would be unfair of me to provide too many details here! I'd be taking the food from Old Bear's plate! Shooting meself in the foot! Cutting me own throat, gavna!

Suffice it to say that it will be flexible, powerful in certain limited circumstances, exhausting to cast when it is powerful, and best fuelled by plenty of black lotus powder and human sacrifice. You won't be able to cast a fireball, though there are some alchemical goodies that let you do something similar. You will be able to slay a whole city or destroy a whole army, though, with a bit of preparation and a willingness to pay the price!

Thanks for the info!

I would imagine it'll involve long drawn out ceremonies taking hours or possibly days. The consequences would be much more drastic then even what the book of vile darkness gives. They make you lose some stat points for some of their bad spells. Howard magic endangers the life of a caster.

Rhianni said:
I would imagine it'll involve long drawn out ceremonies taking hours or possibly days. The consequences would be much more drastic then even what the book of vile darkness gives. They make you lose some stat points for some of their bad spells. Howard magic endangers the life of a caster.

Yep, not very PC-compatible ;)

I've always felt that Howard intended magic to be a dark and dangerous undertaking. One that required the selling off of bits of a person's soul in order to gain greater power.

The standard form of D&D magic would never capture the feel of this loss of self. I cannot wait to see S&P 3 to get an idea of how magic is going to be delt with in the game.

Mythos said:
I've always felt that Howard intended magic to be a dark and dangerous undertaking. One that required the selling off of bits of a person's soul in order to gain greater power.

The standard form of D&D magic would never capture the feel of this loss of self. I cannot wait to see S&P 3 to get an idea of how magic is going to be delt with in the game.

Howard, I think, certainly envisaged magic as being rather more sigbnificant than adding a couple of layers of armour to a passing fighter! Messing with a serious mage in Conan is going to be no lightweight affair.

even conan often had to use a ally or retreat to find a sorcerrers soft spot to slay him :wink: mages were very,very powerful and by design and pact not thought of as mere humans :twisted:

toothill man said:
even conan often had to use a ally or retreat to find a sorcerrers soft spot to slay him :wink: mages were very,very powerful and by design and pact not thought of as mere humans :twisted:

Even with a half-baked hypnotist like the Magus of the Sons of Yezm, he was in deep trouble until Nanaia screamed. After that, of course, it was just a matter of pinning him to the nearest door.

the mages were mean and mainly evil even the non twisted ones didnt think of themselves as normal mortals but above the normal including conan :shock:

Back