Profession skills

Waylander.

Mongoose
Hello

Last game I have a small discussions wit two of my players. I wanted them to do profession check to see what they have won during the period between two gaming sessions.

The narn diplomat tell me that he does not need profession skill since he has the diplomacy skill. Same thing for a pilot who has the pilot skill...

so what is the use of the profession skill ?

Normally you do not roll, they can take 10:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/lifestyle.pdf

You would get them to roll when they are attempting to do something difficult, that it has a chance to fail or that is campaign critical.

M :D

Otyugh said:
Normally you do not roll, they can take 10:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/lifestyle.pdf

You would get them to roll when they are attempting to do something difficult, that it has a chance to fail or that is campaign critical.

M :D
Thanks Otugh, but the probleme is not about taking 10. The probleme is that my players do not understand the "profession" skill utility because thy can do their job with others skills.

- The Narn diplomat does not see the use of taking Profession (Diplomat) because he told me he has the Diplomacy Skill

- The Drazi Fleet Officer does not see the use of taking Profession (Pilot) because he told me he has the Pilot Skill (not counting the fac that the Drazi Military can provide it)

- The Human psi-corps in training (1st level) does not see the use of taking Profession (Telepath) because he told me he has the Telepathy Skill

and I could go on forever. What is the use of the Profession skill ? If you are a programmer, you will take Computer Use, but what is the point of taking Profession (Programmer) ?

Well there is a difference in having the know how to do something, and being able to get a job doing it. I mean you could be a P14 but without Psi COrps registration you won't get any abpove board jobs.

Maybe a bad example, but you get my point.

LBH

Thestandard skillsa re pretty focused. Diplomacy is used for talking to people. Profession (Diplomacy) is all the little extra stuff that it would be maddening to make separate skills for... Knowing how to misfile paperwork so it is processed slightly late to benefit an ally, perhaps. Knowing the policies of an embassy...

At least, that's how I see it.

Back