Preview is out

Wow!

Darkness RuneTouched is *really* powerful! Then again, most of my campaigns were troll-centric, so my opinion on how powerful Darksense is (for ambushes, especially against non-darksense opponents) might be a little skewed.

Harshax said:
Wow!

Darkness RuneTouched is *really* powerful! Then again, most of my campaigns were troll-centric, so my opinion on how powerful Darksense is (for ambushes, especially against non-darksense opponents) might be a little skewed.
All of them are pretty damn powerful. Look at Fire!

Wulf

Looking excellent!

I notice it is now 120 pages, which is interesting. The same length as RQ2 and the way the book is divided looks similar.

Am trying to dam the excitement until I see the character sheet, at least...

I think it's now 120 pages because they have deliberately chosen to add 20 pages worth of Creatures at the back, which is just as well. It means you will be able to play Ducks, Broo and Trolls from the offset, for example.

The magic system is interesting though - have they integrated all of the old magic systems into a single unified system to start with?

TrippyHippy said:
The magic system is interesting though - have they integrated all of the old magic systems into a single unified system to start with?
Since it looks like the system I saw in playtesting, I'll venture to answer... no. In a manner vaguely comparable to HeroQuest (in concept, not in mechanics), the new system can be used to duplicate any of the old spells, and in a way makes more Gloranthan sense then the original! But it's pretty much Theistic, it didn't sound at all Animistic or Sorcerous to me.

But it was damn good.

Wulf

estarriol said:
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Matt can we be pains and ask for one more piece of preview, the character sheet please?

Yeah, a PDF of the character sheet is going to be a handy thing to have around anyways!

Jeff

Okay. So far so good. That looks good, though the presence of a "metal" rune is a bit iffy, especially as it seems to enhance the lately invented iron. Happy with the preview.

Well, we know there will be "Strike Rank Rolls" from the Disorder Rune. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. My guess is strike order will be based on a combination of stats, weapon characteristics, and a die roll.

That seems to be the only mechanic revealed unless I missed something.

t-tauri said:
Okay. So far so good. That looks good, though the presence of a "metal" rune is a bit iffy, especially as it seems to enhance the lately invented iron. Happy with the preview.

Whoah! I totally missed the implication there. However, I don't know about it being invented lately. The dwarves have had iron for a long time IMO. The Metal Rune is probably near-unknown among bronze-wielding orlanthi. (gold wielding yelmites, aluminum wielding Magastrians, and lead wielding Trolls, et al.)

Hmm. I think the Metal Rune is iffy.

"Lately" as in invented by the Mostali to fight Trolls and Elves. The last metal to appear, not as in whipped up yesterday, sorry for the confusion.

Has the Chaos Rune changed [which I guess isn't exactly against its nature]?
I'm sure it used to look like the London Transport logo.

JohnLokiBeard said:
Oh, HAPPY DAYS!

Thank you so much for pointing that out to me! The Nisasan Cars/London Transport logo version of the Chaos Rune was part of the reimaging-for-it's-own-sake of HeroQuest. The horned darkness symbol was ALWAYS the Chaos Rune before that.

So, looks hopeful that Mongoose will be throwing out some of the HeroQuest retconning right from the start...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
JohnLokiBeard said:
Oh, HAPPY DAYS!

Thank you so much for pointing that out to me! The Nisasan Cars/London Transport logo version of the Chaos Rune was part of the reimaging-for-it's-own-sake of HeroQuest. The horned darkness symbol was ALWAYS the Chaos Rune before that.

So, looks hopeful that Mongoose will be throwing out some of the HeroQuest retconning right from the start...

Wulf

They've reverted with the Plant and Beast runes as well. Some of the HeroQuest runes can be found here: http://www.glorantha.com/library/corerunes.html

The plus I found with the HQ versions was they were easier to draw :wink:

the horns of the rune are less exagerated than I've seen before. In Gods of Glorantha and RQ3, the horns come out of the circle at the 9 and 3 position instead of 10 and 2, and they curved more. I'm glad to see all the runes return (with slight variations in their depictions as shown in the sample)

OK, so...
A number of effects mention a 'Resillience' test...
Infinity mentions spells with the Duration trait...
Magic mentions the Runecasting skill...
Truth mentions the Persistance skill...

Just thought I'd point out the interesting bits to the non-playtesters :lol:

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
OK, so...
A number of effects mention a 'Resillience' test...

Sounds like the replacement for the Resistance Table.

Wulf Corbett said:
Infinity mentions spells with the Duration trait...
Magic mentions the Runecasting skill...
Truth mentions the Persistance skill...

Just thought I'd point out the interesting bits to the non-playtesters :lol:

Wulf

I do not know why, but these three last gives me a bad feeling in my gut, a feeling that the system is going to be too much changed from the RQ3 system for my liking.
Duration trait, that can mean anything when it comes to spells, but it sounds dangerously close to being a system where spells are categorized in the way they are in D&D3+.
Runecasting skills, sounds reasonable. I guess you use it to cast spells.
Persistence skill, oh-oh. Big warning sign. Sounds like everything now is done through skills, and no more tests against characteristics. If persistence is a skill, what other personality and character traits are transformed into skills?...

Back