Prestige Classes

Madhatter

Mongoose
I know prestige classes are taboo to some people, but does anyone plan on creating any? Master Thief of Zamora or Black Corsair? How about a Stygian Tomb Robber? Hyboria is a world so filled with variety that it screams for some GOOD prestige classes. The Misplaced Domains had some pretty darn good prestige classes based on regions and races. I do agree that 70 percent of prestige classes are crap, but Mongoose has done a bangup job with Conan. The Scrolls of Skelos will have some Sorcerer type PCs leaving plenty of room for other martial oriented ones.

Prestige Classes will be appearing in the supplements.

I'm trying to do something slightly different with PrCs in Conan. They're all going to be setting specific. So, you won't have a.n.archer prestige class. A Bossonian PrC only open to Bossonian archers would be more along the line we're taking (and that's not one i've got in mind btw.).

Scrolls of Skelos has a few, Road of Kings and Pirate Isles will have more. Thunder River will have a slew of Pictish ones and a few for the extreme borderer type.

So, in essence, nothing generic, all to be mixed in with the system.

If you've got any ideas for ones though, knock yourself out and feel free to share them here.

MongoosePaul said:
If you've got any ideas for ones though, knock yourself out and feel free to share them here.

I like the notion of making them all regional, cultural, or group-specific.

I can think of a few:

Nemedian Adventurer
Black Dragon!
Free Companion
Red Brotherhood
Nordheimr Berserker
Flame Knife
Son of Yezu
Archer of the Order of Kurlat (heh)
Black Seer of Mount Yimsha
Kozaki
Zuagir
Kushite Witch-finder
Fellowship of the Freebooters

MongoosePaul said:

I'm trying to do something slightly different with PrCs in Conan. They're all going to be setting specific. So, you won't have a.n.archer prestige class. A Bossonian PrC only open to Bossonian archers would be more along the line we're taking (and that's not one i've got in mind btw.).

That sounds great! That's exactly what Conan Prestige classes should be IMHO.

MongoosePaul said:

Count me among the group that's prestige classed out. If I wanted to play a Bosonian Archer (to continue with the example), I'd play a Bosonian Archer.

How many PrCs does conan have if we go with the examples above?

The concensus during playtesting was that Prestige classes were not going to improve the game.

Here is a segment of discussion from the playtest boards:

. . . but with the flexible multiclassing in Conan (and stuff like the similar, compatible Class Feature tracks in several classes, so you could get Mobility from Barbarian then take a few levels of Nomad for Improved Mobility), I'm not sure prestige classes are crucial in game system terms.

Surely the only reason to include them is to sell more product.

Sam

In my opinion, I don't believe that Mongoose should spend company resources on an element that isn't needed by the Conan RPG. The classes are already quite flavorful, and with the easy multiclassing, you don't really need PrCs. The setting lends the characters more 'flavor' in and of itself. If a character wants to play (I'll use a prexisting example from the thread) a Bossonian Archer, then in the narrative of the campaign, have the player join the BAs.

Im my personal xp (and I only presume to speak for myself), PrCs are woefully abused. In campaigns which I have played-and even DM'd, I'm sorry to admit-characters 'suddenly' become a Prestige Class with no narrative backing whatsoever. Personally, I dislike this. It is much more rewarding to work a character's career change into the narrative of the campaign.

Again, just my opinion...

I knew PrCs would meet with some strong opinions!
I wholeheartedly agree that PrCs are over use and abused. I've played in campaigns with spontaneaous PrCs too, but that onus is on the GM, not the writers of the books they are in. Many d20 and WOTC products use them as filler and they are either unbalanced or (worse) uninspiring. "Hmm let's see, a book about Dwarves. 10% fluff, 40% unneeded PrCs and 50% crap." I really don't think Mongoose is going to walk down that same road. PrCs are one of the single biggest changes to the game since its inception!
Hyboria is such a rich setting that it could easily support a small number of sensible PrCs. Surely a Stygian Priest/Sorcerer is different than an aged Sorcerer of Khitai who is steeped in oriental wisdom. I don't think people are looking for Bossonian Archer or Gunderman Pikemaster but a Master Thief of Zamora would work. It's up to the GM to apply them sensibly. I don't think you're going to pick up Nordheimr Berzerker while hunting lost temples in Darfar. One of the best things is that all PrCs are completely optional. Don't like 'em, don't alow 'em or play 'em.
Mongoose publishing is trying to sell more product!

One of the things other companies do wrong with Prestige Classes is to make a class for things that the Profession skill would cover (such as a prostitute PrC, merchant PrC, or a Blacksmith PrC). Often, just by skill and feat choices alone, the core classes can be utilised for most purposes. A few well chosen skills and a choice attitude, and you have a merchant, an assassin or a prostitute, regardless of class. Heck, take some money for sex or murder and you are a prostitute or an assassin, regardless of skills or classes at all.

A prestige class should be prestigious, difficult to get into, and actually mean something important to the society the class grew out of.

Although the core classes in Conan are enough, I think there is some room for some true prestige classes.

"such as a prostitute PrC..."

And what games have you been palying in? :shock: :D

Personally I think, if well regulated, the PrCs can add a useful edge to a PC. My problem is most PrCs are so over the top they almost exceed the munchkin scale.

I disagree with the "consensus" that the classes are well rounded and cover all needs with feat and skill choices. However I do agree that prestige classes should be prestige. Hopefully NONE will be able qualifiable until 10th level and preferably 15th level.

I disagree with the "consensus" that the classes are well rounded and cover all needs with feat and skill choices.

What do the classes miss? Those misses would be good starting points for a proper prestige class.

Hopefully NONE will be able qualifiable until 10th level and preferably 15th level.

That would make sense, as that would allow the character to take full advantage of favoured classes.

Vincent,

It is not so much what they miss, but how much they overlap. Barbarian, Nomad, and Pirate have some MAJOR overlap that could have been used to give each class a more unique "feel". It does seem like some classes are "more" advantageous to others for an adventure that travels many different lands. (Nomad and Noble both come to mind at being at a disadvantage outside their particular areas)

Maybe I'm just picky, but I think that a High Priest of Set should be something more then a Scholar with certain feats, skills, and sorcery styles. For teh above something alongg the lines of increased PP from say torture and sacrifice, more specialized sorcery style that would relate to snakes, etc.

As far as overlap and a 'feel', most of that should come from the role-play. A high priest of Set would act differently than a mere scholar. New spells and sorcery styles can easily be invented though.

I agree that there is room for PrC's, just that they aren't necessary.

Nomads and nobles should be at a disadvantage outside their areas. In The Black Stranger, the Zingaran count in that story was exiled, and he built a fort in the Pictish Wilderness. He was basically ineffectual there. One got the sense that he would have been quite the adversary in the Zingaran court. The 'fish out of water' story is often quite interesting.

I also don't think all classes and races should be created equal. If that is the case, then a classless system should be used, and all 'powers' are built out of skills and feats. Even so, some feats are more effective than others - some exist for flavour.

VincentDarlage said:
Nomads and nobles should be at a disadvantage outside their areas. In The Black Stranger, the Zingaran count in that story was exiled, and he built a fort in the Pictish Wilderness. He was basically ineffectual there. One got the sense that he would have been quite the adversary in the Zingaran court. The 'fish out of water' story is often quite interesting.

Not to mention that despite his relatively humanitarian reforms and socially-progressive rule, King Conan found himself in a shark-tank when it came to dealing with the intrigue of the court and the rivalry of other kings.

VincentDarlage said:
One of the things other companies do wrong with Prestige Classes is to make a class for things that the Profession skill would cover (such as a prostitute PrC, merchant PrC, or a Blacksmith PrC). Often, just by skill and feat choices alone, the core classes can be utilised for most purposes. A few well chosen skills and a choice attitude, and you have a merchant, an assassin or a prostitute, regardless of class. Heck, take some money for sex or murder and you are a prostitute or an assassin, regardless of skills or classes at all.

A prestige class should be prestigious, difficult to get into, and actually mean something important to the society the class grew out of.

Although the core classes in Conan are enough, I think there is some room for some true prestige classes.

Vincent, you give me hope; if the forthcoming PrCs are treated with the same thought and care that the COnan RPG exudes, then maybe my misgivings will prove to be wrong. *fingers crossed*

If the sorcerer PrCs in Scorlls of Skelos pass inspection, I'll probably be sold :D

Back