Preferred source material

What is your preffered source material for SST.

• Starship troopers (book, 1959)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uchuu no Senshi (anime, 1988)

• Bug hunt (movie, 1997)

• Rougneck Chronicles (CGI, 1999)

• Terran Ascendancy (VG, 2000)

• Bug hunt: The game (VG, 2005)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Sight

Mongoose
With the upcoming release of WOTS, I'd like to ask you about your favorite incarnation of SST. Do you prefer the original, or one of the spin offs? What source material would you like to see turned into models?
Personally I'd like to see exosuits with more weapon options and bugs based on the book (where bug versions of highways, trucks, space-ships and rockets are mentioned). And maybe, just maybe a SICON hovercar (again seen in the book).

Firstly: You poll is slightly misleading and biased... no one calls the movies by their original screenplay titles... bug hunt...

and while I appreciate it, because Paul Verhoven didn't read the book, and the writers didn't care too much about making the poor old original author roll in his grave... doesn't mean the poll should reflect said opinion :twisted:

Secondly... well of course the book for me... but that being said I do like the arachnids as a non-technological race, and for a secondary source I would actually pick SST Terran Ascendancy... it was a decent game, but had allot of good ideas for bugs and mi...

Mind you the marauder models from the CGI are vastly superior...

Terran Ascendancy for me - while I love the book, this particular game mixes both book concepts and LAMIs perfectly, with loads of place for addons. Also, bugs as non-technological race have that neat alienish flavour ^^

Book > CGI > movies > Anime (not that I've seen all of the anime yet, but while it's very faithful to the book in terms of plot, it really misses the point. Gorgeous mecha though)

Depends, I kinda like the non-technological bugs of most source material other than the book, but SICON and MI wisse, I prefer what I've heard from the book.

Move:Because i like action flicks and the bugs
Roughnecks: its plot line and visules.
Anime: it was close to the book, gourgus exo suits( mongoose, pleas make the models)
Book: the origenle is the best, nuf said.(pluse i read it 5 times in my life.)

I agree that the Poll is misleading... I Loved the visuals in the movie, and was really impressed with the the Klendathu Invasion source book and how it tied the events and Light Armored troopers in there. In fact, in all I would have to say I have been very impressed with how Mongoose has struggled to take all of the versions of this franchise and make them one game with one back ground story.

And as said above I really like the bugs being a "non-technological" race.

I'm a fan of Heinlein's book, but I voted for Roughnecks as it has a wider range of troop types (esp. bugs) and a handful of Troopers jumping around firing off nukes wouldn't be very fair on everyone else !

I like the films. I like the series.
I haven't read the book, but for some reason, the ease in which the troopers can kill bugs doesn't appeal to me.
Also the Anime marauders? I hate them. I REALLY hate them. I hate anime style robots and things. I just prefer 'rough and ready' to the sleeker designs of Anime stuff.

The MGP exosuits are great designs, not too anime, not too western. :)

I do like some things MGP have added to the mix, but I think the skinnies need some better conception. I also think Forth are a nice idea, but I'd have to see the concepts to fully understand.
I also think we should be shown 'the coven' before release to see our initial reaction.
I liek that there are going to be more races, but soon it will just become a generic sci-fi game with the option of using starship troopers based miniatures. :?

I think they should aim for 4 major races tops.

Everything else can be 'minor races' caught in the firestorms of the WOTS

The last video game is a great resource for bugs, the Cliff Mites and Tigers were from that game and there are several others that haven't made the transition. I would love the Blister and Blaster from the CG series to be replaced by the spike-shooting warrior from the SST first person shooter.

To sum it up:
Most people are perfectly happy with movie/CGI/VG Tyranids... er I mean Arachnids. And Mongoose took a lot of effort coming up with various MI units to corespond to various genres.
The only notable thing still missing is the book suit (most accurately depicted in the anime). Here's my attempt to stat it:

Wolverine exosuit
Developed as the ultimate exosuit, the Wolverine focuses on firepower and mobility, with close combat performance and armor protection being seen as less important.
The massive jetpack and weapon systems mounted on the suit's back make it very lethal, fast and agile. On the downside it is also more expensive and difficult to master than other exosuits.

Wolverine Exosuit Trooper
Value: 165? points
Size: 2
Move: 8''
Close Combat: D10
Target: 5+
Save: 3+/5+
Kill: 8+
Traits: Hits/2, Jump/18''

Equipment: Firestorm missile pack, Javelin missile launcher,
Hellseed Y-rack, Lizard line.

Optional (choose one and spend some extra points):
Reaper autocannon
Sixgun rotary cannon
Thermic lance
?more?

Autoloaders: All weapons on the Wolverine count as infinite
Lock & Load: The Wolverine can fire two weapons in a shoot action.

I don't think the book-suit it is missing so much as you disagree with their interpretation.

To me the big difference in exo-suit capacity isn't the model or even the weaponry... it is really the bugs, the book exo-s were never stated that they 'COULD' destroy 10,000 bugs... just that if that is how many bugs it takes to kill a Power Suit, it was still a net gain for the Bugs. Thus explaining why the Federation was utilizing atomic weaponry like candy and still arguably losing the war... ultimately relying on planet wide destruction to achive dominance strategically. They never actually achieved in the field 'tactical' superiority (at the time scale of the entire war that is)

In SST, the Power Suit is almost as effective since the common warrior bug has no laser. I would simply add additional weapon lay outs, and completely-redo the Y rack.

Also your Wolverine is missing the Flame Thrower of the Book... which could be the Thermic Lance, but I figure that was the laser scalple thingy...

I like the stats mostly... I think maybe Target 6 and a lower armor save would be better... perhaps T6 and Asv of 4+ and Dodge of 5+

Well that was just a rough draft (typed at work no less). The flamethrowers would fall under the "more?" category. Probably should also have a morita special (that SMG thingy they use in the anime) as a basic option.

I'll presume you have much less time than me to post from work :lol:

The morita special would be kind of silly as the Sixgun has virtually the same fire power but more shots per action, so it would be a downgrade... kind of silly in my opinion.

I like the idea of the name 'Wolverine Exo Suit' I thought of it too a while ago, it could be the first officially designed Command Suit and the Cougar could be made into the scout suit...

Are all the sources not compatible? I realize there may be some details that are off from source to source, but I think if we limit the number of sources then the game is limited as well. And if the sources are limited then the line will die, unless others are added. I realize this thread is just an asking of the gamers but just a point I thought I would throw out there.

One of the exosuits in C&C Tiberium Sun was called Wolverine, might be a bit close...
Although a blue, yellow colour scheme ala X-men would look cool :D

Gauntlet: The idea was that Ape special would be the basic weapon that you could upgrade to Reaper, Sixgun, Twin Hel Flamers, Thermic Lance, or such.
When trying to think of a name, I just thought of the suit's characteristic: Pretty small, but packs a punch. Wolverine seemed like a natural choice.

If somebody wants the suit seen in ST Anime, here is a review of what you're looking for (the scale is 1/20, so it's too big to use in tabletop gaming, but it's a very nice model).
http://homepage1.nifty.com/keidora/hcara/hps1.html

Translated via google:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://homepage1.nifty.com/keidora/hcara/hps1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://homepage1.nifty.com/keidora/hcara/hps1.html%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Ahaha :lol:
psb037.JPG

I didn't know they had Sprites in the anime! ;)

Back