Precise Parries?

atgxtg

Mongoose
OKay, I was thinking.

Let's say you have a martial artistis and someone swings at him with a sword, and the martial artist can't dodge for some reason. In MRQ, he gets hit. Well, in a lot of martial arts firlms, as well as in real life, the martial artitis can deflect the blade from the side, or even parry the arms of the incoming attack.

Ditto anyone sqauring off against a foe using a greataxe or greatsword, wehre some damage is almost assured.

In addtion, this same sort of tactic is what fencers do with rapiers, and what people using shields and other weapons are trying to do when they parry as opposed to just block.

How about a precise parry option? This could allow such defenders the chance to stop all of the incoming damage, but would be much tougher to pull off (-40%).

If could also open the door for defnders to get other Precise Parry abilities to give the highly skilled defenserd something to help counteract the highly skilled attackers. Things like binding weapons, beating aside for a penalty to the attacking characters next parry attempt, disarm, protecting a vulnerable location (any parry to the slected location is automatically improved one category, but at the -40% penalty to all parry rolls), and whatever else we can think up.

I coulse see precise dodges too, where the dodging character tries to maenuver behind the attacker or maybe could use the movement to get a damage bonus to a follow up attack.

JohnLokiBeard said:
Cool idea, as long as we don't need to put more entries on the Attack Vs Parry/Dodge tables.... :shock:

You know, I think that it would be feasible to make those tables 3 dimensional, or even 4 (or more!), with a few more additions...

Mark

Whay am I not surprised that someone with d(sqrt(-1)) for a handle brings up the idea of a tesseract? :D

I know just the guy to do the table, but he is still trying to fix the chameleon circuit.

Let's see. So far I'm, thinking of the following possiblities:

Active (Full) Parry: No damage.

Beat: Knock attacker's weapon aisde for penatlty to his defense (or just cost one of his reaction?)

Bind: Lock weapons. No attacks with weapon until some steps back or pushes the foe back.

Disarm: Like for an attack.

Block & Counter: Use shield or off hand weapon to draw foe's weapon aside and creae an opening foran attack. This could either give you a bonus to hit, give the foe a peanlty to parry, cost a reaction, or just work like a riposte.

Protect Location: PArries to that location have thier success kicked up a step.

Fend: Makes the attacker give ground if successful.

I could even see giving certain weapons a bonus to certain actions. Like give spears bonuses to fend, or a saior swordcatcher a bonus to disarm.

Anyone got any other parry options?

atgxtg said:
Let's see. So far I'm, thinking of the following possiblities:

Active (Full) Parry: No damage.

Beat: Knock attacker's weapon aisde for penatlty to his defense (or just cost one of his reaction?)

Bind: Lock weapons. No attacks with weapon until some steps back or pushes the foe back.

Disarm: Like for an attack.

Block & Counter: Use shield or off hand weapon to draw foe's weapon aside and creae an opening foran attack. This could either give you a bonus to hit, give the foe a peanlty to parry, cost a reaction, or just work like a riposte.

Protect Location: PArries to that location have thier success kicked up a step.

Fend: Makes the attacker give ground if successful.

I could even see giving certain weapons a bonus to certain actions. Like give spears bonuses to fend, or a saior swordcatcher a bonus to disarm.

Anyone got any other parry options?

I like what you've got so far.

I'd classify 'Beat' as an attack option. How 'bout allowing the attacker to take a 30% penalty (flurry is 20% and all actions [too high a penalty imo]) and immediately attack. I suggest this option to avoid having an action/result/consequence that crosses the 'turn boundary' (requires extra effort to keep track of)

On the attack side of things, I'll throw in 'Unbalancing Attack' the purpose of which is to bash the opponent off balance (good for Trolls). Whether it is parried or not the attack causes Knockback. I'm not sure if the knockback rules accomodate an intermediate state so I'll add that even if you resist the knockback you have a chance (how?) of being 'Off Balance'. This translates to having lost your footing (you've stumbled or are teetering back on your heels) the effect of which would be much the same as being Overextended.

Similarly, imagine you catch your opponent's weapon on your blade/haft (or even shield) and you power forward, pushing the weapon and its wielder back and off-balance. This is pretty dependent on the defender having a high STR in comparison to the attacker's SIZ (athletics contest I suppose?).

As for flurry, my preference would be to allow a flurry at no extra action cost but allowing 2 attacks only each at -20%. Conversely the defender can 'flurry' their reaction to parry each attack (at -20%). BUT I would go one step further and define some weapons as being flurry capable (knife, scimitar, War Sword, Hatchet) and others as not (Battle Axe, Flail, 2H Sword) [unless you exceed STR by 5?]. Might Even go so far as to say a Rapier suffers no penalty on flurries! :O

I couls see doing up some more attack s too. I just wanted to see about getting the defender something to spend skill on.

I couls see beat as either attackor defense. Either that or adjust my full parry idea a little. Technically, a true parry sort of automatically sets up for a counter attack (parry-rpiposte). THis is more realsitic with light weapons than with mauls and greataxes though.

As for flurry, I could see adding in a "Combination Attack" that gives two attacks instead of the full flurry, but at -10% instead of -20.

We could also adjust the penalty for fluiies or combination attacks to reflect the weapon used. Mayber chance it to 10xENC rather than a flat -20%. Or -5%xENC for a 2 hit combo. THat would cut down on the greataxe flurries.

I could even see creating better balced weapons using the Companion rules to make weapons that are better suited to flurries.

Back