Pre-career education

moosh

Mongoose
Hi there

firstly i have no previous experience of Traveller. I have started making a character and here are some thoughts so far.

1. some missing information

When following both the flow chart and the chapter layout of the book, there is information I need in the Pre-Career Education section on p14 that doesn't appear in the rules until the full Careers section from page 16 onwards.

For example, based on page 14 and 15 alone, I don't know:

* how to make a roll e.g. EDU 7+
* what is a DM
* what is a 'term' (and therefore how old I will be when I graduate or fail)
* what happens when I have an existing skill at level 0, and add the same skill again at level 0.

Some of this information is earlier in the book under Game Conventions, (how to roll and what is a DM). Dice Modifiers are mentioned on page 9 when rolling characteristics, but there is no explanation there of what they are or how to use them in a roll.

But it is all explained in the main Career section p16 onwards, including the info that was covered under Game Conventions and Characteristics.

As a brand new player I need to know this info on or before page 14. Maybe a single page/halfpage that explained all the career concepts first, before splitting into pre-career/career? Then it wouldn't matter if you chose a pre-career path or skipped to the full career section.

2. a little unclear on events that happen during study

On page 14, before the text splits into the University and Military Academy sections, the rules say that on successful entry the traveller must roll on the Events table on page 44. Also on page 14 the rules say 'after successful graduation a traveller may attempt to enter a career of their choice'. Careers start at the top on page 16.

On page 15, in a new section Events During Pre-Career Education, after both the University and Military Academy sections, the rules say that every term the traveller must roll on another table to generate an event.

The problem here is that it's possible to finish the University section, graduate, and skip ahead to the Career section on p16 without realising you have to roll on the other events table on page 15.

I recommend integrating the events information into both the University and Military sections, and clearing up the sequences, so a player can see everythign they need to do, in order, without having to jump to earlier/later paragraphs.

e.g.

UNIVERSITY

Gaining Entry

Roll EDU 7+
DM-1 if in Term Two, DM-2 if in Term Three, DM+1 if SOC 9+

If entry is successful, roll on the Events table on page 44.

During Study

Add skills: Choose a level 0 and a level 1 skill from the following list;
Admin, Advocate, Animals (training or veterinary), Art (any), Astrogation, Electronics, Engineer (any), Language (any), Navigation, Profession (any), Science (any).

Increase EDU by +1

Roll on the Pre-career Events table on page 15.

Graduation

Roll INT 7+. If 11+ is rolled, graduate with honours.

Graduation benefits:
etc.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
moosh

Back