Prayer Mats and Headcoverings??!!?!?!!? At tournies?

I think pulling out a prayer mat and pretending to pray would be in poor taste and if I was a con organiser and I caught him, he'd get, to quote a posh lady with a misbehaving dog, a short, sharp vist from the smack fairy.

If the chap wants to dress up and yell and hoot, fine and dandy. However, the paryer mat and paraying begins to look like you are mocking a religion, rather than trading on the MEA sterotype. Many Muslims pray, many less carry AK's and wear the Fedayeen style head-dress. Pick on the few on the table if you must, but not the many.

G.

Mr Evil said:
basicly as long as you dont take the name alah in vein your be ok, praying to alah when your not a muslim, is to a muslim an insult a bit like soem one comming upto you and isulting you about your looks and family inbreeding i spose.

Allah, not alah.
Muslim, not muslim.

They're proper names, my friend, so need capitals. :)

G.

GJD said:
Mr Evil said:
basicly as long as you dont take the name alah in vein your be ok, praying to alah when your not a muslim, is to a muslim an insult a bit like soem one comming upto you and isulting you about your looks and family inbreeding i spose.

Allah, not alah.
Muslim, not muslim.

They're proper names, my friend, so need capitals. :)

G.

You do know, your typing to Mr. Evil?? He has a special language all his own, and there is NO need to correct him. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure you can use a google translator for his postings. Just copy his post and type in Mr. Evil as the language you wish to translate. :p

The Old Soldier said:
You do know, your typing to Mr. Evil?? He has a special language all his own, and there is NO need to correct him. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure you can use a google translator for his postings. Just copy his post and type in Mr. Evil as the language you wish to translate. :p

I've burned up two CPU's trying to get his 'language' translated. Now I just get $4!7-faced, stinking drunk and it all starts to make sense.

That said, I don't really see a problem, other than a lack of good taste. And how many gamers do we all know with a complete dearth of good taste?

So, if you want to command your MEA Orthodox Christlamewish insurgents and kneel on a mat in the shape of an inverted cross with you arse facing toward Akron, I say, go for it. It'd be worth a good laugh.

Regards,
Larry

Daddy Dragon said:
That said, I don't really see a problem, other than a lack of good taste. And how many gamers do we all know with a complete dearth of good taste?

So, if you want to command your MEA Orthodox Christlamewish insurgents and kneel on a mat in the shape of an inverted cross with you arse facing toward Akron, I say, go for it. It'd be worth a good laugh.

Regards,
Larry

Other people could and some WILL see it as offensive, if one of those people complain to the organiser or one of the officals at the event they will act. They may if you are lucky ask you to stop the behaviour and remove your costume, if you are unlucky you could well be asked to pack your bags and leave.

If Superjaded want to risk wasting his money then fine he can take the risk, he asked a question here as too whether or not it may cause a problem, a few people have said yes it could some have said naa it will be fine. I suppose those people would certainly not be the type who would complain even if they found something offensive, I know I wouldn't complain unless something was well past the mark. However if I was an offical and someone complained to me about what Superjaded was doing with a prayer mat, I would ask him to stop that and probably ask him to remove his costume just to be on the safe side, and if I had a hangover / headache or was in a bad mood I might think about chucking him out, but probably wouldn't 8) unless he argued with me :twisted:, also if the person complaining seemed really upset I would ask him to leave :?.

*call to prayer voice* HULLLLLLAAAAAAHHHH AAAAACCKKKKAAAAAAABAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaRRRR */call to prayer voice*

yes, it would offend people, but i am an equal opportunity offender, i hate everyone :D so hell id be running around doing the ALALALALALALALALALA just to frighten my opponent.

as for your question about getting kicked out of tournies, well i think he would, but it is up to the the guys running the show, personally im a freedom of speech person, but i do agree with peoples right to ban someone, because they are being a moron.

cordas said:
If Superjaded want to risk wasting his money then fine he can take the risk, he asked a question here as too whether or not it may cause a problem, a few people have said yes it could some have said naa it will be fine. I suppose those people would certainly not be the type who would complain even if they found something offensive, I know I wouldn't complain unless something was well past the mark. However if I was an offical and someone complained to me about what Superjaded was doing with a prayer mat, I would ask him to stop that and probably ask him to remove his costume just to be on the safe side, and if I had a hangover / headache or was in a bad mood I might think about chucking him out, but probably wouldn't 8) unless he argued with me :twisted:, also if the person complaining seemed really upset I would ask him to leave :?.

For the LOVE of Gawd! I am not going to do this. My friend, likely, isn't going to do this. We were DISCUSSING IT. LOL.

One of those stupid and offensive ideas that is quite amusing at first thought but would go so badly wrong it you actually did it? We all have those. I think they are some sort of relief mechanism. Harmless unless you act on them then really you deserve all you get. Another example would be having SS reenactors at Salute but they actually did that though admittedly they were not quite what the poor organisers were expecting.

"Allah Akbar" [God is great] alone is not generally the call to prayer. It is a saying.

Pretending to pray, would be considered by many to be a severe insult. pretending to pray in fake garb could be considered a racial slur. Please don't do such a thing.

Muslim means servant of God. Muslims serve God through acts, including prayers. To be a Muslim means acting like a Muslim, ie praying, giving, and the like. By insulting the method of prayer, it could construed as insulting what it means to be Muslim. Not a civil thing to do to another person.

Playing BFEVO is a joy. Being kind to others is also a joy. In the end, we are all one big family.

"Indeed, those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who are Jews and Christians and Sabians. Any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness shall have their reward with their Lord: On them there shall be no fear, and they shall not grieve. The Qur'an Juz 1 Sura 2.62.

Brook, i know its a saying, kinda like "inshar allah" (i use this one frequently) but, in Iraq thats how i heard their clerics start calls to prayer.

btw, no im not in the military, i just got to go see a friend of mine.

Bryam,

Your correct "Allah Akbar" is part of the longer framework in a call to prayer.

In-Sha-Allah= "if it is the will of God." In real terms it can mean "maybe" to when "hell freezes over." If someone says that to me, I tell them that I want a yes or a no, not an InShaAllah.

Remember, the biggest insult in the Middle East is to call someone a d _ _,
As in "Its raining cats and d _ _ s." This is true insult and a fighting word.
It is pronounced Enta kelb (you are a d_ _) or enta elkelb (you d_ _).

If you don't believe me, next time your in a rough part of the MEA, walk to the nearest hooka (smoking pipe) bar. Put your hands on your hips and yell "Enta alkelb, ana ameriikee". then run.

Maybe you'll get away....InshaAllah.

Reason you shouldn't call a person from the MiddleEast a dog, is because of what it means. In Arabic, and also Hebrew, the term dog has the meaning of a male that is kept for unatural purposes, aka a male prositute. That is the term used in the Hebrew Scriptures of the Holy Bible.

The Old Soldier,
Interesting, I always thought it was based the general lack of respect for actual the 4 legged creatures. Those poor animals are treated awfully over there.

brook said:
The Old Soldier,
Interesting, I always thought it was based the general lack of respect for actual the 4 legged creatures. Those poor animals are treated awfully over there.

I took a course on Hebrew and Arabic teaching of the Hebrew Scriptures. Also a good concordance will define the use of the term, dog when refering to a man as to what I stated above. It is a extreme insult.

brook, i also call myself the Dirty Kuffar, and i wear this name with pride :D

i had to learn enough arabic in my homeland security class, the concepts of "Inshar Allah," the differences between Sunni, Suffi and Shia, and several other muslim (focusing mainly on jihadist) concepts.

La Illah Ila Allah, Mohammadar Basra Allah (i cant type arabic worth a damn). so yeah i understand arabic culture, customs and curse words quite well :D the curse words are fun to use in everyday life, people look at me weird hehehehe

What is taught in the Homeland Security Class. How to search luggage.
Is there a military history and middle Eastern history taught? What a the qualifications for someone to teach Homeland Security?

La Illah Ila Allah is my favorite saying. For a curse D_ _ works for me.

Wow... Three pages long and not a blatant insult to Islam. This is a first! You guys are really open minded... or at least politically correct. As a Muslim (I always cringe at saying that), I find it stupid and highly unlikely that some fool would turn up to a tourney and pray... I mean, it's only a game. Sure, Muslim sportspeople pray before a match, but then that's what they do for a living. If I someone do that, I'd report him or take him outside myself! Such behavior shouldn't be tolerated...

Back