Prayer Mats and Headcoverings??!!?!?!!? At tournies?

Superjaded

Mongoose
Myself and a friend we chatting about the last few tournies held in the UK. Several of you gents showed up in Camo and the like. Pretty cool. But, what if someone Showed up to a convention, like Gencon for example wearing a Mea Headcovering and whipped out a prayer mat before the game to pray to Allah for good luck? Think they'd be ejected?

No offence to you. But, that is a fairly stupid question.

No reason why a player couldn't. I would consider it poor taste, (unless the player WAS a follower of Islam). But, poor taste is not against the law. As for the camo thing. Many people wear camo, including those that don't go to tourneys or even play miniature game. In my area, many wear camo as normal dress.

Your question smacks of a troll, looking to start a flame.

Just to add to this. I have a black beret with a fedayeen pin on it from the 1st Iraqi war (2nd if you consider the Iran/Iraq war the 1st). I have a MEA force and like to wear my beret when commanding my troops. Is that poor taste? No, but I wouldn't wear it outside the game table. Same would go for the head scarf, but the prayer rug and the praying is really in VERY bad taste. You don't see guys in western military garb carry bibles and praying to thier gods do you? Except my the dice gods! :p

The Old Soldier said:
No offence to you. But, that is a fairly stupid question.

No reason why a player couldn't. I would consider it poor taste, (unless the player WAS a follower of Islam). But, poor taste is not against the law. As for the camo thing. Many people wear camo, including those that don't go to tourneys or even play miniature game. In my area, many wear camo as normal dress.

Your question smacks of a troll, looking to start a flame.

No offence to you, but you're missing the point. I was not asking if praying would be in poor taste. I was wondering if my doofus buddy would be kicked out of a tourny for such behavior. But, bless your heart for thinking he best of me, sir.

Hiromoon said:
Meh, the headgear is okay...

See, I'd say that too. But he argues that the headgear is worse than the prayer mat. (Boggle.) I'm a huge Mea player, But I dunno if I'd go so far to Don the headgear. I'm sure as hell not gonna piss on someone religion to try to pull a laugh at a game con...

If he is not Islamic and dose the prayer matt thing that would be in very bad taste and i would kick him in the face. But if he is a muslim and pulls out the matt in earnest to pray in earnest for real I would have no problem with it. as for the head scarf go ahead its just a game and for fun I play airsoft and some guys with there AK 47s whear the head thing and its fine its for fun. but you cross the line with the religion thing. and no im not muslim im a christian but I respect others religions and to do that matt thing is not appropriate. DURKA DURKA JIHAD :lol:

It'll probably be perceived as being rude, but then again maybe some answers will validate my point.

People are narrowminded (if that's the right word, I hope it is).

I for one wouldn't have a problem with or at someone wearing the clothes and rolling out a mat.
The only thing I do hope is that there is a compass on it so he at least looks at the right direction.

If I can accept people wearing camo clothes at such a convention (some maybe really used in a war - and be sure if people knew where they came from they could also be offended ), I can surely accept a guy trying to enact some kind of situation.

If you have to ask the question if you (or he) should do it or not, I hope you choose well.
If you think there will be a real chance to offend people, then pulling it through could be perceived as provocation.

Until someone else tells me otherwise, I'd like to think of myself as an open-minded, intelligent, good-looking, strong man. (bar the last three words)

s

Superjaded said:
See, I'd say that too. But he argues that the headgear is worse than the prayer mat. (Boggle.) I'm a huge Mea player, But I dunno if I'd go so far to Don the headgear. I'm sure as hell not gonna piss on someone religion to try to pull a laugh at a game con...

Well, some people take things too seriously...

Effectively there are several options for you to choose from:
-Beret (typically maroon) (should be worn with mirrored shades)

-Turban:
turban_niger.jpg

- The kaffiyeh:
turban_arafat.jpg

-Iranian Turban:
turban_iran.jpg

-Afghan Turban:
turban_afghan.jpg

-Turban wrapped kalansuwa:
turban_muslim.jpg

Also, you have the military headgear...ranging from soviet era helmets to soviet tanker hats...

The Old Soldier said:
But, bless your heart for thinking he best of me, sir.

:lol: Your welcome. Maybe if you put it in the proper format, you might get a better answer. :p

I don't See how "Do you think they'd be ejected from the tournie?" Is unclear, I wasn't asking "Is it crass?"

Personally I would consider it very poor taste, and also borderline psychopathic... none of these two traits will set you apart from the majority of game-convention participants however... so it is hard to say what would happen.

Let's just say that if I was in charge not manny people would be allowed to enter the convention... luckily I'm not.

:lol:

/wolf

There is always a time and place for just about everything. Now if I did that with a bunch of my friends before a game, I'm sure there would be some big laughs. But at a Con, with people I do not know, or can not tell how they feel about the subject, well I'd just be asking for trouble.

Superjaded said:
No offence to you, but you're missing the point. I was not asking if praying would be in poor taste. I was wondering if my doofus buddy would be kicked out of a tourny for such behavior. But, bless your heart for thinking he best of me, sir.

If someone where to complain I would imagine that if you where lucky you would get asked to stop, and if you where unlucky you would be asked to leave... After the stink that got caused by those SS WW2 re-enatctors a month or 2 ago I wouldn't be pushing my luck if I where you...

Wear a bit of costume and you are more than likely to get away with it, over egg the pudding and it will turn into a mess.

The security guards might jack you up for haveing the head gear on or someone could call you in that you might damage the place. just stick with the head gear and you should be good any further and people might really get mad especially if there military and have been to iraq or afganny. It all depends on the people there.

basicly as long as you dont take the name alah in vein your be ok, praying to alah when your not a muslim, is to a muslim an insult a bit like soem one comming upto you and isulting you about your looks and family inbreeding i spose.

i have to bop in here i also think many airsofters do some stuff in bad taste by wearing badges they have not earnt, i wear the union jack on my outfit and a rat but their both comming of soon as i havnt earnt the rat and the jack is to nation specific., realy anoys me when airsofters are SAS and coverd in the patches and stuff where in reality the SAS dont wear such stuff in action. mind boggles at time.

just think whatever you do is it in good taste or not.

Back