Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too weak, would never take one!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rynar

Mongoose
Hi All,

Yesterday it was for the fisrt time I took a posseidon with me in a 10 pts battle fleet. Altough I won every Initiative roll thanks to the +3 Command bonus, the ship yust couldn't convice me or my opponents (I was playing against a fleet of 5pts Narn, 4pts Abbai & 1pt of raiders(hired by the Abbai)
The fact that it has no real offensive weapons makes it useles for annything but lauching and recovering fighters, with it did admirable. But the hull 4 was a joke, Two G'karit's took in 1 shooting fase a 3rd of the hull points away, these are two Skirmish vessels! My opponents agreed that hull 5 was a minnimum for anny decent warchoise and that one real offensive weapon, like a missile laucher would give it a little punch.
I still feel it is a nice ship, but without some ofensive capability's and better fighter rules it is yust to weak to considder it a good warchoise on annything but the absolute biggest Battles!

Anny comments?

carriers are just that weak, i liek em cause it gives you a rally point and a thing to protect all the while increasing the fighter pool

Just what you said; the Poseidon needs massively improved offensive capapbilities (which I guess it would have with improved fighter rules... maybe in - I hardly dare saying it - Armageddon?), as well as more staying power (hull 5, more defensive weaponry) to really make it a worthwhile choice at that level - the initiative bonus is nice, but from a ship that has flagship character, I expect more than just higher initiative and soaking up some damage.

Make fighters a little harder, give it hull 5, and increase it´s launch capabilities a bit - no added weapons or such, just little tweaks, and it would be fine...

I'm with you, My brother in arms. Simple, is a risk to use it. Fhighter aren't so strong as a weapond, the carrier do not has weapond can make a desent punch and the cost( I mean the level ship!).......... Is just to install a few cannons. nothing fancy. :p

(As a Joke!) this the way to make the new Poseidon.

Earth Alliance Pluto Class Heavy Battleship
pluto7.jpg

pluto5.jpg

pluto2.jpg

And here where I find it. :lol:
http://hyperion.mystarship.com/b5w/ea/pluto.htm

But seriuly, the Poseidon need a refith.

Theres two problems with carries (Morshin excluded cause they disregard one carrier rule)

Most carriers are not even half a warship. Thats acceptable, cause fighters make up for that. The Poseidon is even lacking a bit here. Here the Morshin breaks this rule, it gets you mroe fighters than you could get by bying separate wings of patrol lvl...... :?

Foghters currently are too weak. For me fighters are afterthoughts to either clear enemy fighters so they nullify each other, or to get scanners to full. Never have i used them in a truly offensive role once.

Once fighters get reevaluated, or rather Armageddon published, one needs to check again, but the hull 4 or is quite a big problem. Plus the limited range on recoverys is dunno. Also Carrier 8 is needed for the Poseidon.

Carriers are on the weak side with the current state of fighters. Problem is the Poseidon looks so darn cool it's hard to resist putting it on the tabletop.

The Poseidon is a fleet core ship, not a ship that would be sent out for anything other than a vital battle.

Everyone keeps saying that fighters are not powerful enough. I still disagree. Fighters are tiny, ships at raid priority and above are huge by comparison. If fighters could on their own challenge the larger ships, nobody would build anything that large. Fighters are intended to attack small targets that don't require greater force to be applied; enemy supply ships, cripped ships without defences etc.

It is basically far more useful in a campaign than in a pick-up battle. Think about this. You select your fleet and roll crew quality for the entire fleet. you then swap an elite crew into the Poseidon. This makes all 16 fighter flights elite fighters. These can then be sent in as independant fighters with elite pilots in the patrol and skirmish priority battles where they are useful.

Now do you see the purpose of the Poseidon?

you can't separate wings from a carrier and take the crew quality with them. wings are bought to replace carrier losses, in fact.

The poseidon is a purpose built carrier, to be sure. it doesn't have any anti-ship capabilities other than carried craft. Sure its got pulse cannons, but not much better than what an olympus carries. its got massive damage and crew, even for hull 4, but at that rate is far more likely to die from criticals than from damage itself. its alread a slow pig, it wouldn't take a whole lot of engine crits to cut its maneuverability tremendously.
but fighters are too weak, presently. the fighters on board need to be able to dish out the kind of damage a war level vessel can do to make this a realistic war level ship, and with current limitations (firing order, no stacking, no precise weapons) the current poseidon isn't muchmore than a cool looking ship.

I'd love to see the changes in armageddon address this so we'll see. but at present, I doubt mine will ever see combat.

Chern

I would like for fighters to make a bigger impact on the game. Just because they are small doesnt mean they cant pack a useful punch, just look at modern fighters, which make the Aircraft carrier is the strongest ship in the navy.

i'd say cariers like the posidon are ment to be used primarily in campaignes where the ability to recover lost fighters is more valuable (as you don't have to spend RRs to replace them as often). additionaly, like most real world carier ships, the Posidon isn't designed to operate alone, and you probably shouldn't deploy one if it is going to be more than 1/3 of your force.

all and all it's less spectacular than it looks but not nesesarily less spectacular than it should be.

if it were to be upgrared i'd recomend increasing it's hull to 5, and posably adding a couple of interceptor dice, as most of the complaionts seem to be that it's too fragile, rather than it doesn't serve a worthwile perpuse.

no, I'm saying that you can't take the fighter flights from a carrier and use them as independant wings, period. Is that a home rule you guys use? if so, fine...
Chern

Malarion said:
Theres two problems with carries (Morshin excluded cause they disregard one carrier rule)

Most carriers are not even half a warship. Thats acceptable, cause fighters make up for that. The Poseidon is even lacking a bit here. Here the Morshin breaks this rule, it gets you mroe fighters than you could get by bying separate wings of patrol lvl...... :?

Foghters currently are too weak. For me fighters are afterthoughts to either clear enemy fighters so they nullify each other, or to get scanners to full. Never have i used them in a truly offensive role once.

Once fighters get reevaluated, or rather Armageddon published, one needs to check again, but the hull 4 or is quite a big problem. Plus the limited range on recoverys is dunno. Also Carrier 8 is needed for the Poseidon.
Although Nials are a tad overpriced at one flight per wing in SFoS - compared to all of the other fleets, two flights per wing is almost spot on.

To be fair guys as carriers go its one of the best, as a warship it sux but you cant really whinge about that it does the job it was designed to do, modern flattops are all about getting their airborne arsenal to the place it can do most damage, they have no offensive ability apart from the aircraft. They are also not very well armoured as they are not expected to get into the thick of it. As an EA player Iam annoyed that its carrier ability got slashed as the blurb suggest that one minute you only have a CAP to deal with the next all the fighters available are dropped out.

I wil admit I am not an EA player, howver, the problem I see with it is not the fighter compliment or the fact that it has the same funtionality as a modern carrier, it isthe fact that the fighters in ACTA are garbage compared to a modern fighter. Its hard to get more than 6 flights on a ship, which makes no sense, and most fighters can barely scratch a ship.

While nothing compares to the armor of the old battleships, having served on a carrier, I can tell you they're more armored than you think...

Chernobyl

I have no doubt you are correct but as you said cant really compare to the armor of an battleship or the built in offensive capability yet that is what people are trying to do.

You're right, a modern carier could easliy take out a WW2 battleship before it was ever seen.

In any case, regarding "not supposed to get in the thick of it" a poseidon has no choice, other than jumping away. The "thick of it" often finds the carrier with the ultra slow movement. its not hard to get within 30" of a poseidon, more so at War PL.

Chern

Chernobyl said:
no, I'm saying that you can't take the fighter flights from a carrier and use them as independant wings, period. Is that a home rule you guys use? if so, fine...

The assumption, for me at least, is that the increased CQ of a fighter wing on a carrier is meant to reflect the many benefits from being on a large spaceship. Better coordination from the carrier, better relaxed, better maintained, etc.

Honestly, I think the ship needs more speed. It isn't too bad if it can make itself hard to catch, but it is too dang slow as I recall. I don't mind low hull on carriers because they need vast open internal spaces for their fighter bays, but a slow carrier is a dead carrier. Plus it slows down the entire fleet. It should at least be able to keep up with an Omega to be decent.

Tzarevitch

Back