What do you think of the Posseidon?

• Looks fine, nothing wrong with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too weak, would never take one!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats what Bulkheads are for! :)
Hell, I hit enough of em to know they exist, sometimes, I swear my enemies ships are made of nothing but bulkheads!

Burger said:
hiffano said:
a lot less limited in temrs of armour and weapon loads, as it won't become to heavy and sink ;-)
No it'll just crumple in on itself like a tin can, in the cruel vacuum of space... or, bits will fall of as it passed through the violent eddies in hyperspace...

Are we all trying again, to apply real world physics with a science FICTION wargame? :twisted:

Reaverman said:
Burger said:
hiffano said:
a lot less limited in temrs of armour and weapon loads, as it won't become to heavy and sink ;-)
No it'll just crumple in on itself like a tin can, in the cruel vacuum of space... or, bits will fall of as it passed through the violent eddies in hyperspace...

Are we all trying again, to apply real world physics with a science FICTION wargame? :twisted:
Yes dammit!!!!! This time, it will work

Which, Hiff, is exactly the point; that it's a poor comparison, modern aircraft to B5 fighter, and that the physics doesn't add up. The closest modern equivalent to the Frazi, say, is probably the Iranian Boghammar assault boat or it's improvised kin- speedboats with infantry support weapons, basically.

Well if a wanted a space combat wargame, to be accurate, and realistic. I would have bought NASAFASCS vs 1.13 :twisted:

Slightly Norse John said:
NASA aren't interested in realistic either...not if their budget estimates are anything to go by.

So if NASA cant do it, there is no hope of a realistic space combat war game, and its a mute point :D

In the series, flights of fighters do hurt capital ships rather much (like the 5 Starfuries who take out a Centauri ship trying tpo blow up the B5 jumpgate in Season 5).

Off course, in the series, everything always has the capabilities which create the most dramatic effects within the plot...

Still, fighters can use a little boost (regardless of what is more realistic or based on modern real-life warfare), and carriers would profit from it without changing anything in their stats or rules.

emperorpenguin said:
a NASA combat game would revolve around tearing chunks of foam off each other's ships no? :p

LOL...or maybe ground control failing to send weekly food supplies and bog roll :twisted:

A detailed near- orbit game would be a real head- bender. Think about this; you accelerate. Therefore, you move into a higher orbit. Which takes you longer to circle the planet, so anything which slows down drops into a lower, faster orbit and overtakes you. Mmwhuh?
I'd like to play a game with that level of detail, but possibly not more than once.
And if you value the contents of your stomach, do not start a conversation with anyone who knows about early space toilet facilities. (It was one of the Gemini astronauts who, when asked to describe the most beautiul sight in space, said "urine dump at sunset.")

I don't know, your computer breaks down for a couple of months, and you still come back to some of the same old arguments. I am just wondering how far down the latest Waargh I can't beat the Minbari rants are, or has that been solved by now?

Back on topic, has anyone swapped out 8 to 10 'furies from a Poseidon and replaced them with breaching pods? How would that change the Poseidon's role in the game.

I've never seen a mass breaching pod assault, and I never expect to see a successful one. Severed Dreams, as given in the scenario in SFoS, is about the only time I had them to play with, and they got creamed. They're not bad at resisting ship fire, but automatically losing dogfights (SFoS p8) and the sheer time they take to get to a target giving the enemy plenty of chances to get them, makes them IMHO a highly dodgy proposition. And if the Poseidon is far enough forward to minimise that problem, then heaven help it.

Breaching pods are too slow and easy for ships to avoid. They are too easy to kill with massed fire and dogfights. Even if you get a single pod on a reasonably sized ship, the chances are your troops wil be outnumbered at least 3-1.

Thanks prelude. Its amazing how much extra time you get when you own a dead computer. I went back to painting and building minis for a while. Even going so far as digging out my Minbari, admittedly I sighed a lot and packed them up again after looking at the mouldings.

Back to the Poseidon. It is certainly not a front line warship and needs a lot of protection (or more important targets for your enemy to pick on). As a fleet element, it brings a lot to the EA. Command +3, and its a fleet carrier. Now while fighters are rightly inferior to a patrol ship choice, they can still be very useful to have around providing you can launch enough of them. They just cannot destroy large ships easily anymore.

Thought I'd resurrect an old thread...now that we know the fighter change is the Poseidon a viable choice now? I haven't played a game with it but I tend to think so.

I wonder if the stats will change any in A - carrier 8 vs. 4? Increased hull to 5?

The changes in priority levels have undone some of the changes in SFoS - you now get way more fighters if you buy them separately.

ie poseidon = 16 flights
1 war point = 36 flights!

Well, you still get the fleet carrier and command traits with the poseidon, as well as a whole lot of damage points and a jump engine... in a one-off game; the 36 flights would most likely be the better choice; in a campaign I´d go for the Poseidon.

Back