Popular starting ship size for four players?

valthonis said:
We're starting our very first Traveller campaign, Yeay!, but as the GM I'm torn between what size of ship to give the players.

Also, partly related, we're doing the hyperspace variant for travel so thus the double jump drive size, but does it still take the normal jump fuel costs to open a jump portal? IE a 200 Ton ship with Class A jump drive needs 20 fuel for a class 1 jump, I would assume opening a jump portal has that same requirement?

Thanks!

What kind of campaign? If the group are into trade and starship economics, then the trad answer is a Free Trader, Far Trader if they are lucky. Good, cheap, flexible small ships.

If they are not bothered about all the paper work, then find a reason to loan them a scout ship.

The advantage with using hyperdrive is you can significantly reduce the bunkerage of the ships, freeing up space for cargo, staterooms or ship systems.

Egil

If its a military aspected campaign, an armed vessel.

If its a merchie campaign, an armed vessel,

If its an explore it, wow whats that campaign, an armed vessel.

--and if you're the GM, and its YTU, make sure there are armed vessels trying to take theirs away from them every so often.

In the sitch you describe, working vessels and safe harbors sound like they'll be at a premium.

they can buy it, cash in muster ships shares out for it, or find it derelict and be a fixer-upper...the limit is your imagination.

Don't limit yourself :wink: :twisted:

valthonis said:
We're starting our very first Traveller campaign, Yeay!, but as the GM I'm torn between what size of ship to give the players.

Also, partly related, we're doing the hyperspace variant for travel so thus the double jump drive size, but does it still take the normal jump fuel costs to open a jump portal? IE a 200 Ton ship with Class A jump drive needs 20 fuel for a class 1 jump, I would assume opening a jump portal has that same requirement?

Thanks!

No, a hyperdrive requires normal power plant fuel only.
No extra hyper/jump drive fuel is needed to open the gateway.

Somebody: One thought to lessen the impact of the mortgage I just thought of - why not count each ship share to be 5% instead of 1%, including the "shares" for a used ship?

That way, as long as they don't end up with shares left over (which I suppose you could take off them in exchange for fuel, weapons, upgrades etc...), they'll end up with a minimal mortgage at most, allowing the monthly payments to be less.

I had thought of more than 5% but you'd end up owning the ship outright too easily and less would leave too much unpaid... comments?

valthonis said:

I would start them off with a 200 ton trader.
* Can be operated by a small crew.
* Cheap.
* Can carry cargo.

BFalcon said:
Somebody: One thought to lessen the impact of the mortgage I just thought of - why not count each ship share to be 5% instead of 1%, including the "shares" for a used ship?

That way, as long as they don't end up with shares left over (which I suppose you could take off them in exchange for fuel, weapons, upgrades etc...), they'll end up with a minimal mortgage at most, allowing the monthly payments to be less.

I had thought of more than 5% but you'd end up owning the ship outright too easily and less would leave too much unpaid... comments?

Because groups can end up with 15 or even 20 ship shares, especially if any merchants get the "free trader" benefit (5 shares a throw) or similar.

1% per share works out fine

Egil

Egil Skallagrimsson said:
Because groups can end up with 15 or even 20 ship shares, especially if any merchants get the "free trader" benefit (5 shares a throw) or similar.

1% per share works out fine

Egil

One way to work it is to refinance the ship after taking off the % from shares.
This adjusts the monthly payment down.

The metagame idea of a starship loan is to give something for the PC's to 'work for'. But, a starship loan is a future obligation for something they already have - and expect.

I've found players more receptive to having 'to work' to repair/upgrade a ship. YMMV.

Somebody said:
I actually had players (in TNE but same system) SELL their ship shares rather then burden themselfs with "working off the loan" since they found that "too booring"

Lots of ways to work it. One of the players is a Merchie and his Uncle died and left him his old, but serviceable & paid off, Far Trader. Etc.

Somebody: I think DFW's suggesting an explanation in-game maybe?

The 3 to 7% per share was something I thought about doing with the first group - maybe a rich relative or sponsor was willing to help out with the finances (possibly without alerting the player(s)).

Or maybe, later on (if they get too good at making money), I can spring the "ship is stolen" surprise on them and the extra expense just happens to equal the missing chunk of the cost and they need to take a mortgage out on that too...

Back