Poor Ol' Uz

I have finally had a good old trawl through the new rules and monkeyed about with character gen etc. For the most part I think Mongoose have done a top-hole job on the system and I'm pretty sure once I've been playing / running for a while it'll be one of my faves. Once the confusion about how many attack rolls has disipated the combat system strikes a pretty good balance between detail and pace. Character gen rocks, especially the basic restrictions on Runecasting choices for different spell-chuckers although a more balance spread of spells among the runes would have been nice. The magic itself seems pretty slick, albeit less available due to the whole Intergrating Runes sitch. Monsters seem pretty simple and largely comparable to their earlier incarnations (although it would have been nice to see Rubble Runners in the core book).

Now I know you've been waiting for the big but (heeeere's J-Lo, oops sorry wrong butt)....

...Trolls appear to have been shafted on the switch to Dark Vision / Earth Sense. Troll society has historically always been based in total darkness. Having stripped away Darksense (which admittedly was maybe a bit OTT), Trolls can now only operate at very close quarters in the dark. I initially thought the assumption was that if they had Dark Vision they could also be assumed to have Night Vision by default, but the combat example with the Trollkin suggests otherwise.

So now Trolls have a reason to be scared of the Dark.

Not happy!

Okay in the grand scheme of things it's a very petty minor niggle and I can and will fix it with house rules, but like any good Karrg's Son I have to stick in my two bolgs worth on this.

I ain't got the book yet (it ain't reached the southern colony stores yet! Boo hoo, we colonials get shafted every time), but might I enquire if the example is in daylight? If so, perhaps the penalties for said Enlo are associated with light. Perhaps in MRQ Enlo get a real raw deal and miss out on Darksense completely. Also, remember Enlo are inferior to true Uz and they are pityful in comparison, as befits food animals.

DD

Yeah, remember, while the main book assumes Glorantha (in much the same way the D&D PHB assumes Greyhawk) it is a "generic" book and you might find that true Gloranthan trolls wind up a bit different.

*shrug*

It is possible that Mongoose felt sorry for Rurik....knowing how he can't fight Trolkin very well they decided to take away the little critters few advantages to give the sun worshiper a bit of a head start (bless him)

burdock said:
It is possible that Mongoose felt sorry for Rurik....knowing how he can't fight Trolkin very well they decided to take away the little critters few advantages to give the sun worshiper a bit of a head start (bless him)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

May you be slain by a duck and then resurrected to an eternity of duck jokes.

burdock said:

Hey, wait? Aren't you the Broo Poo guy?

Back