Point Question

Nekomata

Mongoose
More of asking opinion rather then question, but when building a certain point force is good play to hit or stay under that total, or is it ok to go over by a few points? This is the PLA Force I want to build(might change once I get the book):
3x Infantry Squads 570pts
2x Type-99 700pts
Command Squad -85pts
Norinco x3 - 225pts
WZ-551 x3 - 450

Total = 2030pts

I don't see why that would be a problem.

As long as you do not take any options you might get for having more than 2,000 pts., then no harm no foul. My rule of thumb is what I already just stated, and that the point would be less than the point value of the lowest cost unit in the force.

I'm betting with time that PLA tank points will drop. If not it will in our home games. It needs to be about 300 pts. I also think the PLA infantry should not cost more than 170. Most likely I'll give my opponent the option of using those point values in games I play.

2030 might be a bit of ways over. You should definitely let your opponent know you're 30 points over and let him take an option to match up.

I know it sounds like not much, but 30 points is about 1 extra soldier or support option, and 1 guy can change things. Forexample, that's one more to kill to hit the shatter point.

We have played games of 1000 - 1350, where one side has been 30-50 points over the other and haven't really had any probelms with it.

If we've previously agreed to play a game at a certain value, say 1500 pts, both of us are expected to build to that point total. going over 5 points could make a difference between taking that extra tank or not. Most of our games will wind up with each force 5-10 points below the total. If you want more than the allotted points, play a higher point game.

That being said, if both opponents agree that a few points over (although 30 is not "a few"), have at it.

we play to points limit.

if your over tough, drop somthing better be 100 points under than 1 point over in our book. represents you dont always get the troops allocated that you whanted, it maybe a problem for one fporce but so it is for the other.

sounds strict i know but we all know where we stand its a limit.

if there is a unit you realy wish to use and the only way is by going over then your oponent gets that many multiplied by 2 as extra forces to counter the new threat. sorta puts people of going over in points then, i it became to common we would make the multiplier 3 and so on, think of it as a over the limit fine.

when i play and have gone over the limit i give the other player a handicap, so in effect if i've gone over 5 points he's already won 5 vp.

hegemon said:
when i play and have gone over the limit i give the other player a handicap, so in effect if i've gone over 5 points he's already won 5 vp.

Otherwise good idea except basic scenario atleast plays until shatter, no victory points...

Otherwise good idea. CWC uses system where point values between armies are set to X and then both side point total is modified randomly a bit which is then reflected in victory point calculations in the end.

For scenarios in BF:Evo where victory points are used similar bonuses/disadvantages for going under/over point total could be used in BF:Evo as well.

The situation is helped out a bit once you have the rulesbook as you can sometimes go over and your opponent can make up the difference in the unit extras or offboard arty, depends how much the over spill is really.

Mr Evil said:
we play to points limit.

if your over tough, drop somthing better be 100 points under than 1 point over in our book. represents you dont always get the troops allocated that you whanted, it maybe a problem for one fporce but so it is for the other.

sounds strict i know but we all know where we stand its a limit.

if there is a unit you realy wish to use and the only way is by going over then your oponent gets that many multiplied by 2 as extra forces to counter the new threat. sorta puts people of going over in points then, i it became to common we would make the multiplier 3 and so on, think of it as a over the limit fine.

Huh? (j/k)

so... if someone goes over by, say, 10 pts, then the opponent gets 20 extra after the game starts?

It is a game. Don't worry about it just have fun. If my opponent is over like I said NO BIG DEAL. as long as it is less than the smallest point cost of his unit and he takes no extra stuff based on the extended point cost.

Or he lets me add a little to make up the difference. I'm not anal about playing a game. One reason I doubt if I would EVER play in a tourney. Rather spend my time playing and having a good time, that dickin over point cost.

See, this is my point in posting this, to see what other people do since I have little experience with wargaming. I'm planning on the force I listed being my standard, and if anyone I play get touchy about it I can just drop the one team. I am starting to agree with TOS over the PLA point costs, they drop like flys against marines... or maybe I just suck, which is plenty possible.

Nay, I bet you play the game just fine. The PLA really have problems in smaller game, due to the overcosting of the T-99 and the infantry. Over at www.evocommand.com we had a huge discussion over the points of these two model.

Some felt they were ok, but only in a large game where those points do not make a huge difference. But, we all agreed in smaller games it was a problem, mainly due to lack of troop choices at the time. That said many of us attempted to breakdown the point cost the best we could and all agreed the PLA infantry just didn't breakdown well. There are some really wonky point cost in the fireteams. I and others broke them down to the troop and found that 175 pts per squad is about right. PLA gunners were 30pts, mg gunners about 35pts, riflemen about 10pts plus the first team gets additional point per fireteam leader after the first (note we also figured there was a point system that rounded down points which led to some odd looking cost). 1st fireteam 70 pts, 2nd fireteam 50 pts, 3rd fireteam 55 pts.

Like I said no really big deal, except in smaller games. What really is the problem is the wonky costing on the 2nd and 3rd team cost. As for the tank well that one is really hard to figure, but I'll bet it should fall in the range of 300pts.

I've been lurking around evocommand but I haven't joined. I probably will when I have more to talk about. The point costing of anything has me confused. I've been trying to work out the cost of my own units but I have no idea how to rate them. My heavy infantry squad wiped out a PLA squad, in cover, in 3 shoot actions, without taking casualties. I have them at 250pts right now but I'm thinking it might be more.

Back