Pocket Players Handbook question - RE Bab 5

Bridgetsdad

Mongoose
I just know that this is a silly question but I don't yet own the D&D Players Handbook for 3.5 (I don't play Dungeons and Dragons) but I wold like to pick up the Mongoose Publishing Pocket Players Guide(Handbook).
Are these basically the same thing? Or do they contain different rules?
I need to purchase a players handbook for my B5 game (I know B5 is 3.0) but figured I would rather give my money to Mongoose than WOTC.

Any help?

There ain't no silly question, only silly answers, sometimes...

I'll just repeat what the boss Matthew Sprange said in the "general" section of the boards : it can be used with B5 just like the original from WotC. I also recommend Modern Pocket book as it has interesting optional rules concerning massive damage and also a more relevant equipment section. :)

I am soon to be in the market for a new player’s handbook. What is the difference in the one for Wotc and Mongoose?

Thanks,
Bryan

bryankia said:
I am soon to be in the market for a new player’s handbook. What is the difference in the one for Wotc and Mongoose?

Thanks,
Bryan

Well I own the 3.0 core WotC books and the Mongoose Pocket Player's book (3.5 rules) so I can't do direct comparisons but on a general level.

The Mongoose books are physically smaller, cheaper, no fluff or pretty pictures on the inside really, The Rules, The Whole Rules and nothing but The Rules so help us Monty!"

Unless you really want all the pretty pictures the Mongoose book will fulfill all your gaming needs. Buy it.

And for Bridgetsdad, I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forums that you can play B5 with 3.5 rules with no real changes or difficulties.

Right, I'm off to one of my FLGS to see if they've got S&P 12 in yet, and then to another FLGS to see about getting the Mongoose Pocket Modern Handbook. Now if only the other FLGS I frequent would start getting my B5 RPG books in without a 2 month lag time I'd be like a pig in clover.

Busy, busy, busy! See ya later peeps!

LBH

Thanks for the info. I work at a game shop part time. Every time I read more on the B5 books I become more fond of mongoose publication so I am trying to point people in there direction. Today I had someone come in looking for d20 stuff and I recommended the Mongoose book until I found out the images were important then I sent them to WoTC. I will get the mongoose copy but it is not the best product for all people.

Thanks again for helping me do a better job.
Bryan

PS I had to look in the forms today find out the scale of some of the miniatures. Could someone put the scale on the box? If it is there please direct me to it :)

Bryankia said:
Thanks again for helping me do a better job.
Bryan

Glad to be of service!

LBH
Name that quote:
"It is their pleasure to open for you, and their satisfaction to close with the knowledge of a job well done"

Back