Playtest Rules 1.1 - Battles in Hyperspace

Everyman

Mongoose
We tried out a couple of battles in Hyperspace using the new rules and found them to add a neat new dimension to the scenarios.

It did raise a question of whether fighters ignored the necessity of making a CQ check to maintain the beacon lock.

Also, the Gaim proved to be way too tough to battle in hyperspace due their better Crew Quality queen ship which other ships made sure to stay as near as possible plus the fact that their main weapons are fighers/pods and e-mines, neither of which are hurt much by the hyperspace stealth rules.

I think that at a minimum, weapons listed as bombs should be included in the list of those that lose the AP/SAP traits. Or perhaps some limit on e-mines such as; due to the energies of hyperspace they lose the DD or TD traits.

The Vree's better CQ checks seemed to balance out the fact that their long range torps lost the SAP traits a bit for them and Earth/Narn still had their beams to rely on.

While we did not use the Minbari, it looks like they are going to have serious problems with battles here as they are one of the few races to lose stealth on most of their ships.

Another possible suggestion would be to allow the Shadows to leave ships off table waiting to enter using their Hyperpace Mastery in scenarios that would normally allow entry from Hyperspace since they seem like they should have some edge with an ability named such.

One would seriously hope there is going to be some exceptions for the so called "Masters of Hyperspace - I mean the present rules mean they are at the same level as the younger races as they don't have even have Advanced Jump Engines :shock: :roll: And also don't have boosted CQ like some young races.

I would suggest that they ignore the rules for locking on to beacons as its unlikely that games will be fought there anyway and lets face it you should not be fighting the Shadows in hyperspace................. :wink:

I would concur that Emines should loose AP or SAP if fired in hyperspace :)

Not heard but hoping that all this has been sorted :D

One would seriously hope there is going to be some exceptions for the so called "Masters of Hyperspace - I mean the present rules mean they are at the same level as the lowest tech younger races as they don't have even have Advanced Jump Engines And also don't have boosted CQ like some younger races.

I would suggest that they ignore the rules for locking on to beacons as its unlikely that games will be fought there anyway and lets face it you should not be fighting the Shadows in hyperspace.................

I would concur that Emines should loose AP or SAP if fired in hyperspace

Battles in hyperspace shouldn't even exist. Tis a silly idea, based on everything the show tells us!

OK lets make it like in the show. For each weapon system fired, roll a d6. On 1-3 you ignite a pocket of gas and the ship is destroyed.

wasn't that in the Gas Giant?

The Shadows blow up fighters in hyperspace.....

I agree its not a good idea for anyone - but then military people often seem to do "impossible" or "silly "things and make them work - or it goes completely wrong.

My main issue is IF it is going to be in the game - the Shadows don't get screwed over in what is uspoosed to be (and seems to be in the show) their playground...........

I would also think the Ancients should have similar rules and to a lesser extent the Vorlons who still use normal hyperspace.

Throughout the show, battles in hyperspace are always referred to as a Bad Idea (tm). I think they said that every time it has happened, it has been a total disaster for both sides?

Until S2, no ship lost in hyperspace has ever been recovered.
The Cortez was only recovered thanks to the Shadow Ship (!) and Keffer - exceptional circumstances.
The Victory doesn't even dare fire its weapons when a giant hyperspace creature tries to hump it!

Burger said:
Throughout the show, battles in hyperspace are always referred to as a Bad Idea (tm). I think they said that every time it has happened, it has been a total disaster for both sides?

which means they have tried - lets face some bright spark is going to :D

both the Shadows and the Star Fury fire without any ill effect...........

I think the Shadows should ignore Hyperspace beacon locks. The beacons were a Vorlon invention along with the jump gates (if memory serves me right).

As the Shadows are the Masters of Hyperspace the should ignore the Beacon lock on rules. As they do go where they want.

As the Vorlons created a Hyperspace cloaking field / bubble to hide their fleet I think they should get bonusess as well as they are more versed in Hyperspace manipulation as well.

Maybe give the Vorlons and the Shadows big big bonuses than the other races when in hyperspace. To beacon lock on and stealth breaking etc.

Let the Shadows and the Vorlons be feared as Ancient Races should be once more. With all the new additions and new toys for a lot of fleets these 2 races seem to be left behind especially the Vorlons.

so whats worse, a land war in asia, or a battle in hyperspace.

the thing is, if we go with the show, forget it, everyone has learned that battles in hyperspace just do not work. (but then you know, we ignore lots of stuff from the show anyway)

if it is for a playability angle, as something to make battles a bit different, then fine, run with it, but sort out the shadows, they don't even need beacons (or at least they give that impression) and think about the effects of the improved CQ on several fleets as this becomes rather important here.

I would think a bonus for having a scout along would be nice too they chould be able to see the becons easier as they have hugee sensor arrays and telepaths should get a bonus

telepaths chould get a bonus? for which bit. i recall that hyperspace increases telepaths potency, so would you say increase the psychich crew score on psi corps ships? or allow telepaths to find beacons easier?

Vorlons have effective CQ 6 for testing for hypersapce lock on

Ancients and Shadows do not have to test for lock on and pass any such tests they would be requried to make.

Players may not keep ships in reserve in realspace, to be brought into hyperspace. It is impossible to open a point into hyperspace with any real degree of accuracy and even ships with Advanced Jump Points are unlikely to appear anywhere near the battlefield. All ships present in the fleet must be deployed at the start of the fight. Shadows and Ancients are an exception to this rule. Ships are free to make a Tactical Withdrawal as normal, by opening a jump point into realspace.

Give a +1 to all hypersapce related checks for having the Scout and/or Psychic Crew Traits and/or telepaths in a campaign.

Job done - its a bad idea to fight battle in hyperspace - it worse trying to fight the Vorlons and the Shadows will kill you before you even see them :) don't do it!

I rember an episode during season 5 where a group of Centari Vorchans nearly destory the White Star that Delin is on while in hyperspace. So maybe it is just that a hyperspace battle for a less advanced race such as humans, narns, and the dilgar have proven disastorus.

Hiffano - do we really ignore stuff from the show very often? I thought we added a lot but didn't ignore too much.

Ripple

no no, don't get me started, it's for the best if I don't start giving examples ;-)

Burger said:
Until S2, no ship lost in hyperspace has ever been recovered.
The Cortez was only recovered thanks to the Shadow Ship (!) and Keffer - exceptional circumstances.

IIRC, Keffer saved the Cortez, the Shadow ship inadvertently saved Keffer, or at least gave him enough info for what turned out to be a lucky guess by flying past again after he had saved the Cortez.

LBH

I can't be bothered to look up the hyperspace rules to see this is in or not but what about only having small designated sections of the board edges and withdraw points too? Flying off the board edge anywhere else counts as destroyed. It's not a good idea to wander off in hyperspace!

Shadows and maybe othere ancients could ignore this rule?

I have only tried 2 games in hyper. 1 game was fun and intresting. The other well, ya lets just say could some go into hyper and find all my lost ships :cry:

Back