Playing Legend on-line?

Centum100

Mongoose
Hi Legend gamers!

Are there any possibilities to play Legend on-line that you have been using (Zoom, Discord or else)?

Would be a great thing to be able to play on-line.

As for me; a d100 player by tradition. And Legend is a great game, for sure.

Best,

Centum100

I've used Discord or WebEx for chat and Roll20 to display maps and handle dice rolls.

I'm not aware of any Legend-specific content for Roll20. There's a character sheet for RQ6 that probably comes closest, and one for Mythras. But I've had players track damage taken and other notes on a Legend auto-calc spreadsheet. As long as Roll20 provides dice macros and allows me to display maps with "fog of war" fields, it works for me.

K Peterson said:
I've used Discord or WebEx for chat and Roll20 to display maps and handle dice rolls.

I'm not aware of any Legend-specific content for Roll20. There's a character sheet for RQ6 that probably comes closest, and one for Mythras. But I've had players track damage taken and other notes on a Legend auto-calc spreadsheet. As long as Roll20 provides dice macros and allows me to display maps with "fog of war" fields, it works for me.

Hi K,

thanks for the feedback. I'm certainly a newbie to Roll20, and if there's an existing infrastructure generally, not specifically tied to Legend, then that's maybe the road to go.
Discord seems to have useful features (sound, camera), so that is also an option. That said, I'll wait to see for feedback on this post from other prospective gamers of Legend.
Shouldn't there be any other solutions, well, then I'll look into one myself.

Well, you're not alone when it comes to Roll20. I'm still trying to get a handle on using it well. Taken me some time to get familiar with it.

I'm not a big "battlemap" player and generally don't like tracking movement squares and all that. But it does help to have a visual map with online play, and PC/NPC tokens to show where everyone is positioned. Combine that with a dice roller, and dice macros, and it makes Roll20 pretty helpful.

A couple of months ago, I ran Traveller using Discord alone, with a Discord dice bot. And there was some confusion from the players when they couldn't get a grasp of positioning on the map - even though we discussed it at length. So, for me, a map 'n' token reference is pretty vital for online play.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I would love to see Legend transcribed into Fantasy Grounds Unity. I posted about it recently as it is visibly missing from the list of Mongoose items allowed on there - however it seems that list is woefully out of date.

If I knew the FGU code and had time I'd try my hand at it. I may yet, but it won't be any time soon.

In the meantime I usually (when we are not on Covid-19 Lock-Down) have a weekly RPG games night and also play online a decent amount. I havn't run a Legend game in years though as no one has asked me to go back to and do more.

I don't mind Roll20, but i do prefer Fantasy Ground.

I use Discord or Google Hangouts for the audio/video.

Sam / Bifford

Bifford said:
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I would love to see Legend transcribed into Fantasy Grounds Unity. I posted about it recently as it is visibly missing from the list of Mongoose items allowed on there - however it seems that list is woefully out of date.

If I knew the FGU code and had time I'd try my hand at it. I may yet, but it won't be any time soon.

In the meantime I usually (when we are not on Covid-19 Lock-Down) have a weekly RPG games night and also play online a decent amount. I havn't run a Legend game in years though as no one has asked me to go back to and do more.

I don't mind Roll20, but i do prefer Fantasy Ground.

I use Discord or Google Hangouts for the audio/video.

Sam / Bifford

Hi Bifford, thanks for the welcoming!

Interesting to read about your on-line experiences. I'd say that I know Discord the most. Never heard or read about Zoom in any rpg. context so far, neither can I warrant that I'm an expert on it. But do like the program. Yet, if I'd set up an on-line playing group with Legend, Discord would be my to-go option. I think that K from Seattle came up with some convincing arguments for Roll20 as well.
Bifford, could you please expand a little on Fantasy Grounds Unity, what recommendable features for sessions with Legend does it have? Never tried that program out. Would you by the way consider GM:ing Legend again? I thinking of setting up a Discord Legend group and to be a GM there as well, although to be a PC would be great as well. You're making a distinction between Roll20/Fantasy Ground on one hand, and audio/video functions with Discord/Google Hangouts on the other hand. I guess you'll have to teach me on that ;), because I never played with Roll20. This owes to the fact that mostly me and my fellow gamers go for IRL sessions. Admittedly it has been easier to find d100 sessions opportunities when going on-line. I like d100 games a whole lot. And Legend is one cracking rpg.
Also, if any prospective gamers would show up here, and eventually (I have to do some prep work) would like to join in for an on-line session with Legend with me as a GM, please tell me in which country you reside; the time zone factor has to be settled when arranging sessions, as you know so well. I live in Sweden (mother tongue Swedish).

K Peterson said:
Well, you're not alone when it comes to Roll20. I'm still trying to get a handle on using it well. Taken me some time to get familiar with it.

I'm not a big "battlemap" player and generally don't like tracking movement squares and all that. But it does help to have a visual map with online play, and PC/NPC tokens to show where everyone is positioned. Combine that with a dice roller, and dice macros, and it makes Roll20 pretty helpful.

A couple of months ago, I ran Traveller using Discord alone, with a Discord dice bot. And there was some confusion from the players when they couldn't get a grasp of positioning on the map - even though we discussed it at length. So, for me, a map 'n' token reference is pretty vital for online play.

Hi K, many thanks for the input. Please read my answer to Bifford below.

We used Roll20 and the Mythras character sheet back when we were playing an Elric of Melnibone campaign.
The Mythras sheet is near enough, you just need to be aware some things are calculated differently; Armour Penalty is the main culprit. Some skills have different names as well and the spell have some modification to their effects but that shouldn't bother you too much.

Roll20 does take some getting used to and unfortunately, Dynamic Lighting which is really good once you work it out, is a subscription feature now. Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War are still free. The difference is with just FOW your players will be able to see what lies behind walls and such, if that's not an issue just stick to the free account.

For me, prepping on a digital platform requires a bit more work and can be time consuming but if you have the time, enjoy it and the players have fun, it's all good.

The Legend Core Rule Book and its supplements are amazing. The art work is indeed good.

Now, the Core Rule book or any of the other books as an example, combined with some colorful, evocative maps and pictures made for home brew; that´s quite an interesting mix for adventuring.

Not to mention the different magic schools, the Heroic Abilities, the possibility of setting up cults, guilds and factions, combating each other. All this imagined with evocatively colorful art, showing maybe castles, torch lit dungeon corridors, temples, ruins, an assorted cast of fantasy critters.

Excellent work, Legend and its supplements!

I'm doing more cartography than writing now. If anyone wants battle maps and so on send me a PM with a brief and I'll send you a quote and sample. If you're happy to proceed you will be provided an appropriately scaled jpeg map for your VTT of choice.

I have noticed on importing to Roll20 that most jpegs need to be resized. I uploaded a map for my own game (different system) and needed to re-size it and make the Roll20 page 1 unit bigger on the vertical & horizontal axis for it to line up correctly to the grid.

Well, invent as an intellectual experiment a setting of your liking, with a lot of tension, and urban and forestal areas with - openly or in disguise - bellicose cults, factions and guilds in full swing (in more than one respect), critters in expected and unexpected situations + open the Legend core rules, the Arcania supplements and other Legend supplements in front of you + think of some colorful maps and other artwork at the very same time.

Legend is indeed an outstanding game.

Legend has the potential of incorporating many exciting archetypes, pertaining to different fantasy genres. That, in combination with colorful artwork and some thrilling settings providing high adventure, could make for very immersive gaming. Be it in the slippery slopes of some green high hill with unwelcome stalkers, in the inner parts of an abandoned castle, or some temple, its inhabitants reluctant to give in to the new ways, or else.

In essence, a great ruleset.

Components are being worked with as of late, and suitable fantasy genres considered. Cults, faction and guilds as always of great importance.... .

Centum100 said:
Legend has the potential of incorporating many exciting archetypes, pertaining to different fantasy genres. That, in combination with colorful artwork and some thrilling settings providing high adventure, could make for very immersive gaming. Be it in the slippery slopes of some green high hill with unwelcome stalkers, in the inner parts of an abandoned castle, or some temple, its inhabitants reluctant to give in to the new ways, or else.

You mentioned fantasy, but it also works in Modern and SciFi settings too. I even started working on a SciFi version of Legend; you just combine/create new skills and off you go.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Centum100 said:

You mentioned fantasy, but it also works in Modern and SciFi settings too. I even started working on a SciFi version of Legend; you just combine/create new skills and off you go.

Haven't been playing Modern settings with D100 almost at all, but some SciFi settings. Well, D100 is a system that's so versatile, so I only hope for it overall to gain even more traction.

It's trivially easy adapting SF or Modern trappings from other games to Legend, which may be why there's not much impetus for a 3PP to write a full-blown SD Legend game. A lot of indie publishing is people writing the stuff they want to play when they can't buy what they want to play.

Hi, gamers of Legend,

prep work is being done, along with other tasks, so things are advancing in the pace they are advancing. A platform will be launched at any rate.

One might think about all the interesting possibilities with fantasy genres, archetypes and Legend in the meantime ;).

Best,

Centum100

I've had enough of Roll20/Foundry and so on and I'm going back to Maptools which has all the features, and then some, of the paid platforms without the cost; coupled with Discord for voice/video it will do me.

I'm currently working on an Elric of Melnibone campaign that I'll be running in the new year. It will be a fairly simple one with Maptools doing the heavy lifting for character generation (characteristics, attributes and background), and simple macros for skills and damage. It won't have a full blown character sheet, players will need to manage that aspect however they prefer, though I am setting up simple a Google Sheets doc for my group(s). I will post the .cmpgn file in the forum when done (after checking with Matt that it's OK to post, it will contain the Elric background tables copied from the book which may violate copyright).

Back