Planet Mongoose Previews: First Look at Romulans

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The Romulans have just made their debut on Planet Mongoose, just in time for the weekend. Next week, expect to see Dreadnoughts, Fast Cruisers, the latest in Romulan technology, and a few other aliens...

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/

Romulans Stealth is not like the Stealth from B5 or Noble Armada CTA. It is more like an Dodge against per hit. A Cloaked Romulan is only hit on the roll of a 1 (Stealth 2+) and is immune to Seeking Weapons. When Engaging Cloak the Stealth is 4+. Consider though that a Cloaked Romulan cannot fire when Engaging Cloak or Cloaked and is limited to 6" movement.

So plasma R is 7 dice, S 4, G 3 and F 2 then?

If it is I like it a lot. I never liked that type G had the same max damage as F's in SFB.

Any hint on ranges? We know type S is 16...

-Tim

All the Plasma Torps have the same range of 16. The difference is that Plasma Torps have a trait called Energy Bleed. At over half range (8"+) they lose 1 AD, if it over 3/4 range (12"+) they loose 3AD. So the bigger Plasma Torps can still be effective at "long range". A type R is still very lethal firing at range 12"+

Hmm that range thing is a bit of a change - It was quite nice to try and do long range sniping with Rs on occasion - it seems to be a change to an 'effective range' - simpler and for most part fairly accurate, I'd say as the effective ranges were much compressed compared to how far a plasma could theoretically go - though I have to say I think I would prefer to see a little variation with Fs slightly shorter and Rs slightly longer ranged (12" and 20" for example) - if anything its the F that bothers me more than the R. Those coupla hexes difference of effective delivery of payload in SFB made plasma duels twixt Gorn and Romulan the tactical challenge they should be.

Are there any pictures of the clear cloaked Romulans anywhere as I must say the idea tickles me...

Interesting ranges. I was aware of the Energy bleed from the past previews. Coming from SFB I share the same sentiments as Myrm. However I can live with the simplification just because it will make it easier to remind people not playing plasma races how the energy bleed rule works. One less die after 8, and 3 less after 12.

R-torp
1-8: 7AD
9-12: 6AD
13-16: 4AD

S-torp
1-8: 4AD
9-12: 3AD
13-16: 1AD

G-torp
1-8: 3AD
9-12: 2AD

F-torp
1-8: 2AD
9-12: 1AD

I think it also simplifies the range bands to aim for if you have a ship with mixed sized torps on it. You really want to get to range 12 to make it worth while, and range 8 things get really nasty! (and for your phaser 1's as well!).

Staying at range 12 will probably keep you safer against other non-plasma races as its well outside of their overload range, outside of phaser killzones and even long range against photons.

The clear cloaked ships is really amazing. I have a handful of starline 2400 romulans and now I can see that I'm going to have to just forget about those so I can have a matching set of new cloaked and uncloaked ships!

-Tim

Back