Perversity and Tics

Mark Dunder

Mongoose
I do remember using Tics, that was funny. I don't know why I didn't use the Perversity points, just didn't for some reason.

By the way, I got Paranoia XP, before it was deemed treasonous to our version of The Computer (hint: it starts with a Micro).

I hack with a Mac so I'm just fine.

dunderm said:
I do remember using Tics, that was funny. I don't know why I didn't use the Perversity points, just didn't for some reason.

By the way, I got Paranoia XP, before it was deemed treasonous to our version of The Computer (hint: it starts with a Micro).

I hack with a Mac so I'm just fine.

Tics are great, my players picked some good ones. Perversity just seems easy, it's rather player driven. When the GM approves of course.

If you enjoy giving your PCs innovative and entertaining Tics - but can't come up with enough ideas of your own - I thoroughly recommend that you pick up a copy of Criminal Histories. Beside having a complete roll-your-own system for generating a perversely thorough treasonous character background, it also includes an extensive sub-section packed with tons of new Tics.

I was reading the Zap adventure for Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe, their tics are really what defines them. I think that is very informative. Tics should help a great deal, in what sort of clone you want to play. Allows a way of role-playing that creates personality your player can use.

When RPG gamers in other forums talk about their characters, they rarely mention anything about their names or personalities. It's either this class or that class of character (I frequent the Conan forum, sorry!). I think as we continue to play Tics in this game, the more significant we will identify with the plight the clone finds themselves in.

I know some other games that push personality onto the player's PC, but Tics are more specific in action, and not general personality traits found in other unfun games.

I think this idea may just be the wave of the future of RPG gaming, and my hats off to the magnificent designers of Paranoia, and particularly to Allen Varney for being so responsive to our inquires.

darth_azabrush said:
Without tics there isn't that much PC roleplaying in Paranoia!

There isn't? Gee, you could've fooled me. I had many different characters in the multiple times I played PARANOIA before the latest edition, and each was different from the other. Just because tics weren't a game mechanic doesn't mean there wasn't roleplaying!

I didn't say that. I just meant that most players tend to just play themselves and make decisions logically rather than roleplay them in my experiance.

Ah. This is true. I've had way too many people who I know are excellent roleplayers completely lose that ability when sitting at a PARANOIA table, and instead simply point fingers and call The Computer every single time anyone does anything remotely treasonous.

But when you get someone who does roleplay? So sweet!

Well, the one I have was made by FASA. It is called the Doctor Who RPG game. It has a module, I can't recall the name of it right now, I remember it had a picture of the evil doctor on it.

I think it was the first RPG on Doctor Who.

Yeah. The most recent was Time Lord. It was freewared in 1996 with the expansion in 2001 and the FASA- Time Lord Conversion system shortly afterwards.

Back