Perhaps FGMP/PGMP need a nixing/modding...

sideranautae said:
If I hit a soldier in TL 7 Battle armor with a TL 5 bazooka it is also an insta kill. Or, it I hit him with a TL 4 AT rifle it is insta kill...
What if the "Battle armor" was 20 meters tall (60 feet tall), was proportioned as a human being, and their was a tiny compartment where the human sits, piloting this beast, and it operates by force feedback, the pilot moves his leg, the robot moves its leg etc? The mass of the battle suit is about 1000 metric tons! Does a TL 7 bazooka still get an instant kill result? Well it does blow up tanks, this is larger than a tank though, it weighs about the same as 18 tanks.

wbnc said:
Now the Plasma Gun has a huge surplus of raw damage over most weapons in it's Tech Level, but it's heavy, expensive, and will draw fire from anyone who sees it brought into action. Which is about the same limitations as a .50 M-2 machine gun. (maybe a full auto version of a 20mm anti-tank rifle) If carried by a normal infantryman the weapon is too heavy, and draws too much return fire to be practical outside of a vehicle or fixed position.

The Fusion gun, while powerful has it's own limitations, it's about the same as having a leaky reactor setting next to you when it's fired. It cant be used in close proximity to unprotected troops, and it is a massive threat to the poor soul firing it. the raw firepower of the weapon is hobbled by the radiation leakage

anytime I have my players come up against a PGMP,( usually in a military, or Merc Campaign) I tend to deploy it the same way you would a heavy machine gun. It lays down suppression fire, or concentrates on a single target which has made the mistake of drawing the full attention of the shooter. i have yet to ave a PGMP gunner last more than three or four rounds before someone hits him with a RAM, or other bit of man portable artillery.

This gives me an idea for a one-off "illegal weapons" cargo. Imagine an insurgency on a low tech, high population world. Give them some limited amount of off-world supply, preferably smuggled. Now imagine a cut-rate fusion gun, built so cheaply it'll burn out in a half dozen shots, with a tripod mount and a completely useless and ornamental lead shield at the back, between the gun and the operator. The recruits wouldn't know any better, and the generals wouldn't care - they're getting taken out by smart targeting anyway, so you may as well get the price down and the numbers up.

Tom Kalbfus said:
sideranautae said:
If I hit a soldier in TL 7 Battle armor with a TL 5 bazooka it is also an insta kill. Or, it I hit him with a TL 4 AT rifle it is insta kill...
What if the "Battle armor" was 20 meters tall (60 feet tall), was proportioned as a human being, and their was a tiny compartment where the human sits, piloting this beast, and it operates by force feedback, the pilot moves his leg, the robot moves its leg etc?

It would fall flat is that were the control design.

Tom Kalbfus said:
The mass of the battle suit is about 1000 metric tons! Does a TL 7 bazooka still get an instant kill result? Well it does blow up tanks, this is larger than a tank though, it weighs about the same as 18 tanks.

You wouldn't need to hit it. It would immobilize itself due to its unworkable design.

Egil Skallagrimsson said:
Coming a bit late to this discussion, though I think its one we have had before. :D

Basically, have always felt the stats for battledress work fine, but, in a world where a light space fighter can be bought for just under 10MCr, felt that battle dress (and, for that matter, combat armour) was grossly over-priced.

Egil

IMTU, it's the price it costs the characters trying to buy it NIB. Using what Iain M. Banks wrote, eg money is a sign of poverty, meaning that money only has a function in a scarcity economy, and TL12+ are post scarcity. Basically a soldier will be scanned, and then a printer will print them a custom set of armor, getting this done black market is pricey precisely because the authorities don't want people running about in a personal tank, and a personal tank that will stretch the capabilities of local police to stop, as well as the collateral damage from stopping it.

Quick explanation with no rules changes.

OK, I am gonna thread drift (OK, not such much drift, more quantum leap) this but as we've kinda gone round the houses with the OP, I kinda feel OK about that...

If the 3rd Imperium is nominally TL14, 2 "steps" past TL12 at which point it became post scarcity, how come the Imperial Credit is still in circulation?

It's a bit of a deal/Imperium breaker if you're gonna throw post/scarcity into the equation isn't it?

hiro said:
If the 3rd Imperium is nominally TL14, 2 "steps" past TL12 at which point it became post scarcity, how come the Imperial Credit is still in circulation?

Truth be told, no one knows at what point, if EVER, there will be a "post scarcity" society. Especially when you are dealing with thousands of inhabited star systems at all different levels of governments, freedom and technology.

Given that most Traveller I have played in is set in the Spinward Marches where the TL average is (I don't know what exactly but) lower than 12 I'd wager, and the number of systems way below even star fairing TL9/10 is high it's a far cry from being able to stabilise in a PS kinda way...

hiro said:
OK, I am gonna thread drift (OK, not such much drift, more quantum leap) this but as we've kinda gone round the houses with the OP, I kinda feel OK about that...

It's a bit of a deal/Imperium breaker if you're gonna throw post/scarcity into the equation isn't it?

Not at all. How many of those worlds are TL12+ not many, and those that are, seem to punch below their weight economically. What do people do for a living there? They can supervise the machines building the dreadnaughts, but even the lowest laborer has been replaced by machines; so in the end, the average citizen there is functionally a consumer, that is their "job". I can see a guaranteed minimum income, and then large bonuses for rewarding beneficial behaviors. A lot of idle luxury, to Malthusian over-population (look at Mora). All this facilitates the fall of the 3I, where petty men with petty dreams are able to tear it down, or maybe it is just fin de siècle. Humans breed to a critical mass population which leads to a various series of disasters or crises, where then a exodus or diaspora occurs. That's why I have the exodus map, it was supported in earlier editions, such as mega-traveller, that there was a refugee situation; it makes sense that the various factions wouldn't advertise that people are fleeing from the wilds and not into their "safes". Plus, historically, we see it from the dawn of history, disasters such as war, famine, etc. drive refugee populations on to the road.

That said, the credit, the CrImp served not only as a facilitator of trade, but on the post-scarcity worlds, as a unit of measure for tracking consumption and production resources. Much of it already in a sort of command situation run by computers (we do it today, using market algorithms in a "cybernetic economy" - interesting stuff if you like economics). There are some current economic principles to be figured out, such as banks creating money by lending it, or the Friedman-esque policy of trading small amounts of inflation for lower unemployment, which is something the Imperium might not care about with it's trillions of citizens. The criticism and satiation I don't necessarily think is all that valid, I think people do have a drive to do something, being useful is the best of all; however, people still go out and ride bicycles even though they could just lay about on the couch and watch TV. So there is something there, some people will just lay about though, they do it now. I don't run a bean counting game though, I get enough of that in real life.

I very much agree that the natural inquisitiveness of humans will give us plenty to do when we can rid ourselves of the slavery that is work...

And even without money to fuel the fire I can see how there would be plenty of scope for intrigue and exploration. I doubt that people will instantly all become pacifists as we lose the need to fight over resources but it's an interesting one for sure. Would we all go hedonistic? Who knows?

I still think it's a far stretch to call the 3rd Imp of 1108 a post scarcity society!

Was the idea even around when Traveller began? (And yes, by inference I don't believe Traveller has moved on but perhaps we should discuss this in another thread)

hiro said:
I very much agree that the natural inquisitiveness of humans will give us plenty to do when we can rid ourselves of the slavery that is work...

And even without money to fuel the fire I can see how there would be plenty of scope for intrigue and exploration. I doubt that people will instantly all become pacifists as we lose the need to fight over resources but it's an interesting one for sure. Would we all go hedonistic? Who knows?

I still think it's a far stretch to call the 3rd Imp of 1108 a post scarcity society!

Was the idea even around when Traveller began? (And yes, by inference I don't believe Traveller has moved on but perhaps we should discuss this in another thread)

This is IMTU. Even canon Imperium doesn't agree with canon Imperium. That's a grognard battle I just don't care about.

The thing about "would we all go hedonistic?" I would say no, some will, not all; and others will do it on and off. What makes for an interesting story doesn't always work for an interesting game.

hedonistic characters would likely make for a very boring game...

"hey dude, lets go get stoned again"

hiro said:

I wouldn't be so quick on that. Having ready a couple of post grad thesis's on the idle wealthy classes throughout human history the evidence points to the tendency to develop mental illness and self destructive behavior in those people.

It also shows up the parts of current society (USA) were multi-generational 100% life subsidy exists. Civilization breaks down and criminality SOARS.

So, I wouldn't hold that human behavior would be different just because we have star ships.

sideranautae said:
hiro said:

Truth be told, no one knows at what point, if EVER, there will be a "post scarcity" society. Especially when you are dealing with thousands of inhabited star systems at all different levels of governments, freedom and technology.
The machines still compete in the market place under the rules of capitalism in a post scarcity society. It is only post scarcity for the humans and other biologicals.

Back