Pavis Rises Questions

rymoore

Mongoose
Hey everyone,

I'm a long time Runequest player who just got into RQ2. I'm planning a campaign around Pavis Rises and had a few questions about the overall history of Glorantha.

In Pavis Rises, Dara Hoppa has expelled the EWF and the Clanking City has fallen, which is different from the history presented in Glorantha the Second Age. Is there a book (maybe from RQ1) that details these events?

Thanks
Ryan

The expulsion of the EWF from Dara Happa is detailed in "Dara Happa Stirs" I believe which is for sale super cheap in the going out of print section of the website.

The falls of the Clanking City is described briefly in the Abiding Book.

This is because Pavis Rises takes place further on in the 2nd age than the rest of the books

Yes, Glorantha: the Second Age is circa 908.

However the momentous events that lead to the rejection of the EWF in Dara Happa, and the run-up to the fall of Pavis, all happen in the 920s. Likewise, Zistorwal has also just fallen (917-918).

So 'Pavis Rises' doesn't contradict Glorantha: the Second Age; its just set further ahead.

It would have been lovely to have the Clanking City destruction as a supplement or series of scenarios.

I can see why Pavis Rises is set after that event, because it allows Zistorite refugees to arrive in Pavis and mess with things, but it is a bit confusing that a whole chunk of God Learner history has been skipped.

soltakss said:
It would have been lovely to have the Clanking City destruction as a supplement or series of scenarios.

I've messed with the chronology in my campaign just so I can have my players be in the middle of the fall of Pavis and Zistor and the Closing. Given that they were in the Blood of Orlanth in 908 this compresses everything into 2 or 3 years around 910-913. After all, who is to say that the history of Glorantha is accurate to within more than a few years.

It's a shame that the nominal game year is 908 when basically there's not a lot going on. Pavis Rises, Dara Happa Falls and Living Glorantha are all set at roughly the same time so it would make sense to have that be the default date.

Deleriad said:
soltakss said:
It's a shame that the nominal game year is 908 when basically there's not a lot going on. Pavis Rises, Dara Happa Falls and Living Glorantha are all set at roughly the same time so it would make sense to have that be the default date.

A lot of settings do this to reduce the metaplot constraints on GMs

3rd Age Glorantha is no different really with it being set before the Hero Wars kick off in full

I kind of set the precedent when I wrote Dara Happa Stirs. The events there start off around 910 and reach a conclusion in 920, which is when Karvanyar and Alakoring defeat the EWF at the battle of Alkoth. The Blue Serpent HeroQuest restores Dara Happa fully to Yelm and leads to the rout of the draconic forces.

As Pavis Rises has several important elements that relate to certain events leading from what happens in Dara Happa, it made sense to take 921 as the start date for that campaign. Otherwise a great deal of coolness would be missed.

SPOLIER ALERT !!

This is all common knowledge for Third Age people, but those new to Glorantha might not know or want to know future events ...

For me, the defining moments of the end of the Second Age are:

1. The Siege and destruction of the Clanking City
2. The Dragonkill
3. The Sinking of Slontos
4. The Closing of the Oceans

It would be a shame not to cover each of these in a "Dara Happa Stirs"- style supplement.

:shock: Wow, the Clanking City campaign sounds really good!!!!!!!!! I'd buy it for sure!!!

The others seem a little difficult to transform into a campaign, but would be great as well.

soltakss said:
For me, the defining moments of the end of the Second Age are:
1. The Siege and destruction of the Clanking City
Yes, I was quite disappointed to read that this was all over and done with off-stage in Pavis Rises.

Thanks for the great answers! I think a campaign based around the fall of the clanking city would be cool too. I grabbed the RQ1 pdf for the Clanking City. I'm definitely going to have to set an adventure or two there.

Back