Passengers in a Destroyed Transport

Bede

Mongoose
I know they take a D6-1 of damage for each model, but are they also suppressed? '

I think the letter of the rule says no, but I'd think it makes more sense if they are.

Also, do the passengers get a reaction to the shot that killed the transport? I'd think not, because the shot was at the transport, not the unit in the transport, but is this how others play it? Thanks.

1. They are not suppressed. The FZ was directed at the vehicle not the troops in it.

2. No reaction. They just get place within a move action of the vehicle when the vehicle is destroyed.

Sgt. Brassones said:
The passengers do get a reaction. They react by getting the hell out of that steel coffin! :wink:

I won't argue with that,since most people are leaving vehicles on the table when destroyed the house rule I've come up with is that any surviving passengers are forced to make a move reaction.

It does make a difference, since if they don't use their reaction to exit the transport, they get another reaction later, to either run for better cover or shoot back. And if they were supressed, they would lose the latter option.

Rules as written, though, they a) aren't supressed, b) don't get a reaction, c) don't use a reaction. At least, as far as I can tell.

Supression is when an enemy is incapable of changing position.

If you're pinned by fire, movement equates to death.

Or, if your unit sgt. just got shot, you need to regroup, i.e. battlefield confusion.

So, supression makes sense in those cases.

In terms of actually surviving my transport getting all blown to bits -- yeah, I'd most certainly be more than capable of movement at that point.

I would however, argue that if a transport is transporting units, that you cannot supress the transport itself (i.e. as per its unit card), but if the transport would be supressed by a large margin (say, by 4 or more damage dice allocated to it), then the units inside the transport would not disembark, unless true believers, or special forces rapelling from a helo.

But, in the end, I think that's taking things to a level of complication that disrupts gameplay.

Xorrandor said:
It does make a difference, since if they don't use their reaction to exit the transport, they get another reaction later, to either run for better cover or shoot back. And if they were supressed, they would lose the latter option.

Rules as written, though, they a) aren't supressed, b) don't get a reaction, c) don't use a reaction. At least, as far as I can tell.

Don't forget in the base rules Vehicles are removed from play when destroyed with transport passengers being place where their ride was so one can assume they left the burning death trap. but with the house rule of leaving vehicles on the table ,a rule suggestion now included in the advanced book leaving troops in a destroyed transport just doesn't make sense to me.

ShockerCong said:

Perhaps in real life, or in some games, but not this one. Supression is a game term, and you explicitly can move when Supressed. If we were being hyper-realistic, you could only move toward cover or away from the enemy when Supressed, but since charging into the fire is generally fatal anyway, the rule isn't needed.

ShockerCong said:
But, in the end, I think that's taking things to a level of complication that disrupts gameplay.

Agreed. If you want to have special house rules, or perhaps special rules for a convoy attack scenario, that might be worth it. But for regular games it's just one more thing to track.

ShockerCong said:

In BF:Evo supression is just the lack of ability to engage the enemy, it covers a multitude of sins under one simple rule.

If you happen to get suppressed when you are hiding behind a wall then the logical thing to do is stay where you are. If you happen to get suppressed when crossing open ground the logical thing to do is run for the nearest cover.

Xorrandor said:

We really could do with some clarification on this, as it is really important to know whether or not dismounting a blown up transport is a reaction or not, and what re-action rules apply to them.

I seem to remember a post from Matt not long after the original rule sheet coming out saying that troops bailing out of a destroyed transport can't react to the unit that destroyed the transport in that action.

I seem to remember a post from Matt not long after the original rule sheet coming out saying that troops bailing out of a destroyed transport can't react to the unit that destroyed the transport in that action.

Yes, that is true Cordas. I asked that question to Matt, and that was the answer. Troops bailing from a transport can not react to the unit that detroyed the transport in that action (since they were not the target and are not considered). So, CLEARLY they are not making a reaction move. You just get to place them within a normal moves distance from the wreck after they roll for each model to see if they have been hit or killed. NO suppression since they were not under a FZ, and they then act as normal. With that little clarification from Matt, the rest are the rules as written.

I assume then that they can react later in the same turn, if they are shot at or a unit completes an action with in 10".

Back